Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 07:51 PM

38 posts, read 55,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxm9976 View Post
Hello everyone. This thread really took off after I originally posted. There is actually a lot of great information, which should be helpful to people that are considering Bergen County and Fair Lawn, specifically. We decided, at the time, that the housing market was way too hot, so we continued to rent in NYC.

My son will be starting kindergarten this fall, so we are looking at renting in NJ now. I mentioned in my posts that he is on Autism Spectrum, so we are looking at towns that have good special ed programs. We would love to see him mainstreamed slowly with regular kids. I have read recommendations for Northern Valley Pie district, but the towns in the district don’t seem to have the rental stock.

If you have any good recommendations for special ed districts, please chime in.

Thank you and kind regards
Fair Lawn has the Edison school on Fair Lawn Ave dedicated for special ed students and eventually the kids get integrated into main stream. I have seen many comment positively about spl ed programs. You may want to reach out to the school board and ask for details to see if FL spl ed program is a good fit for your needs. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 07:59 PM

38 posts, read 55,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBlast View Post
I would stay away from Fair Lawn if your kid will be attending the elementary school. The good schools (Radburn, Milnes) are overcrowded and they are implementing a soft border policy from July 2017 where the child may be sent to another (lower rated) school at the discretion of the superindent.
Your concern regarding over crowding issue is fair. In fact though everyone is talking about elementary overcrowding, its the same story or will be so very soon in the middle school, specifically TJ (memorial does seem to be running below capacity). Hopefully the recently approved referendum for $25 million additions to TJ and memorial and the plan to move 5th graders to middle school will ease the overcrowding. At least the town is not sitting and watching the overcrowding but is trying to do something

Old 04-01-2018, 04:07 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,143 times
Fair Lawn is a hidden gem. A relatively affordable town with a great school district, a rarity in Northern NJ....

Old 09-27-2018, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,302 times
I have been a Fair Lawn resident my whole life, 33 years.... and currently living in the Radburn section. I am within the toxic plume range emitted by digging up the ground at Daly Field to build the new townhouses for the Crossings at Radburn (previously known as DALY FIELD). All residents within a certain distance from the site received a letter in the mail, explaining about how TCE, a likely human carcinogen, is seeping from polluted soil into the air in people's homes. Explaining the option to install a machine to remove the tetrachloroethylene toxic plumes from the air.

With the already high cancer rates in NJ, I can't imagine wanting to pay over $530,000 to be in the center of it. A contaminated EPA superfund site. Fischer Scientific and Kodak are also responsible for some of the soil contamination. But the Topps Cleaners Superfund site is right where the new townhouses are being built. This is why they sent out a letter to nearby residents, that by digging up this soil , there will certainly be vapors emitted to the air and soil. Tetrachloroethylene causes cancer. If your budget is over $500,000, you can buy a nice single family home in Bergen County, that's not in the center of a contaminated property that was never cleaned up.

Not to mention that road, Plaza Road, that intersection... there's so much traffic already and it's going to get so much worse. The planned community of Radburn, built in 1929, can't handle the traffic these townhouses will bring in 2019.

And also they are right on a train track, breathing in all those yummy train fumes!!!!

The links arent working on here, but copy and paste the URLS below to get a PDF of more info.

[<a href="url">www.environmental-law.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/VI-2006.pdf</a>
[/color] <a href="url">http://www.environmental-law.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/VI-2005.pdf</a>

Last edited by VFTA21; 09-27-2018 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-30-2018, 04:24 PM

173 posts, read 216,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFTA21 View Post
I have been a Fair Lawn resident my whole life, 33 years.... and currently living in the Radburn section. I am within the toxic plume range emitted by digging up the ground at Daly Field to build the new townhouses for the Crossings at Radburn (previously known as DALY FIELD). All residents within a certain distance from the site received a letter in the mail, explaining about how TCE, a likely human carcinogen, is seeping from polluted soil into the air in people's homes. Explaining the option to install a machine to remove the tetrachloroethylene toxic plumes from the air.

With the already high cancer rates in NJ, I can't imagine wanting to pay over $530,000 to be in the center of it. A contaminated EPA superfund site. Fischer Scientific and Kodak are also responsible for some of the soil contamination. But the Topps Cleaners Superfund site is right where the new townhouses are being built. This is why they sent out a letter to nearby residents, that by digging up this soil , there will certainly be vapors emitted to the air and soil. Tetrachloroethylene causes cancer. If your budget is over $500,000, you can buy a nice single family home in Bergen County, that's not in the center of a contaminated property that was never cleaned up.

Not to mention that road, Plaza Road, that intersection... there's so much traffic already and it's going to get so much worse. The planned community of Radburn, built in 1929, can't handle the traffic these townhouses will bring in 2019.

And also they are right on a train track, breathing in all those yummy train fumes!!!!

The links arent working on here, but copy and paste the URLS below to get a PDF of more info.

[<a href="url">www.environmental-law.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/VI-2006.pdf</a>
[/color] <a href="url">http://www.environmental-law.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/VI-2005.pdf</a>
Wow. Did not appreciate that this is situated on a superfund site. Land must have been cheap! How far away is this contamination from digging going? Past Berdan park?

Old 09-30-2018, 08:43 PM

595 posts, read 1,557,913 times
its far from berdan park,https://www.radburn.org/index.php/co...ntent/featured

Old 09-30-2018, 08:52 PM

173 posts, read 216,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
Link was just to Radburn Association? Crossings is like 5 min walk to Berdan park. If contamination is more limited, that's great. But also must mean only a handful of folks affected?

Old 09-30-2018, 09:28 PM

595 posts, read 1,557,913 times
its at daly field...its not right next to berdan but if you are concerned about air quality then its a toss up....who knows whats really going on

Old 10-02-2018, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,302 times
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A2x...ew?usp=sharing[/img]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jAD...ew?usp=sharing

Please copy & Paste the attached links for a MAP of images of Topps Cleaners from the results of a seven-year long investigation into tetrachlorethylene (PCE) contamination of the soil and groundwater at the former Topps Dry Cleaners site and surrounding area.

Read this link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ibgjG-ubPSAAJl

for the full pdf report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey