Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 12:18 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I think you might want to stop and talk to some of them with an open mind sometime then. Because all I've seen from it so far is people being social, talking with each other about what they've found or where good locations are to explore.

This is literally like a scavenger hunt game, which is a great example of getting out and interacting with strangers. It sounds more like you are applying your own preconceptions towards this instead of actually figuring out how things work or how people are using it. Because even how people are using it may not be exactly how it was designed. So that's not very sheep-like, is it?

I'd suggest you might need a nap and a juice box. Everyone who's used it here seems to like it instead of coming in with their own sheep-like preconceived notions based on other things.
no I don't need a nap. And I don't drink juice.. The scavenger hunts my kids played they use pen and paper and REAL objects.. I never got the whole Pokémon fad anyway..
I'm curious as to if this game was called something like a treasure hunt and was not affiliated with the Pokémon name, would it be this successful and wildly popular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 12:26 PM

510 posts, read 500,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
no I don't need a nap. And I don't drink juice.. The scavenger hunts my kids played they use pen and paper and REAL objects.. I never got the whole Pokémon fad anyway..
I'm curious as to if this game was called something like a treasure hunt and was not affiliated with the Pokémon name, would it be this successful and wildly popular?
Never underestimate the power of brand recognition. Pokemon is a huge franchise for Nintendo and it happens to have style of game play which translates well into augmented reality. If the success of this game in less than a week means anything its you're going to see plenty of games in this style very very soon.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:36 PM

538 posts, read 733,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Well, the fairly similar but very differently branded Ingress by the same developer is not as popular, so the obvious answer is no. Pokemon is a brand that that has lasted 20 years at this point. When I showed my son (3) Pokemon Go his eyes lit up instantly and he can't have more than a passing exposure to them as his age is all about Paw Patrol. The Pokemon designs are instantly likable and that doesn't happen by accident. The original idea was done well and that doesn't happen every day. It doesn't happen often. The idea to combine this property with augmented reality was a brilliant idea. And not just from a making money perspective, it's the first truly universally compelling usage of augmented reality technology.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:37 PM

4,028 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
Never underestimate the power of brand recognition. Pokemon is a huge franchise for Nintendo and it happens to have style of game play which translates well into augmented reality. If the success of this game in less than a week means anything its you're going to see plenty of games in this style very very soon.

Either that or it's a fad that will fade as quickly as many others we've seen in the recent past. One thing is for sure though, I'm already tired of hearing about it.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:42 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I think you might want to stop and talk to some of them with an open mind sometime then. Because all I've seen from it so far is people being social, talking with each other about what they've found or where good locations are to explore.

This is literally like a scavenger hunt game, which is a great example of getting out and interacting with strangers. It sounds more like you are applying your own preconceptions towards this instead of actually figuring out how things work or how people are using it. Because even how people are using it may not be exactly how it was designed. So that's not very sheep-like, is it?

I'd suggest you might need a nap and a juice box. Everyone who's used it here seems to like it instead of coming in with their own sheep-like preconceived notions based on other things.
There lies the scary part, especially for kids. Hoping the kids playing have an adult with them while they are roaming around

Old 07-13-2016, 12:49 PM

510 posts, read 500,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
There lies the scary part, especially for kids. Hoping the kids playing have an adult with them while they are roaming around
No worries. Despite what ABC After School Specials would have you believe Strange Danger is incredibly low. You also have to consider the heavy foot traffic this game has generated and the fact an older audience is actually playing this game. Lots of people + adults isn't exactly the environment creepers thrive in.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:59 PM

10,475 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
While I'm sure kids play this game, this is a game for adults that requires someone to travel and I'm not talking down the street. If you go out to one of these hot spots you will see everyone age 20-65 out there playing this game.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:03 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
No worries. Despite what ABC After School Specials would have you believe Strange Danger is incredibly low. You also have to consider the heavy foot traffic this game has generated and the fact an older audience is actually playing this game. Lots of people + adults isn't exactly the environment creepers thrive in.
You can't be serious??? I'm waiting for the first report of some dope walking into traffic.
Already had report of 3 men using it to hold up people....

Old 07-13-2016, 01:05 PM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Either that or it's a fad that will fade as quickly as many others we've seen in the recent past. One thing is for sure though, I'm already tired of hearing about it.
It's the breakout hit that will make Augmented Reality more mainstream. The technology has been around for a few years but like most tech it's a solution waiting for a problem. Many, many people know Pokemon and this widely known franchise seemed to have gotten the tech side of augmented reality right. It's also making a lot of money for Nintendo, Apple as well as business in some local area's where most people amass looking and training these Pokemon. Just an FYI.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:16 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
I don't know...that Lure function sounds like a creeper's dream. There's even virtual candy involved, right? If thugs in Missouri can use it to lure robbery victims, and local businesses can use it to lure potential customers, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that a predator would also be just as, um, enterprising. HOWEVER, full disclosure, it is true that I do watch too much Law & Order SVU, so there's that. (And I am calling now that they will be doing a ripped-from-the-headlines Pokemon Go related episode soon, only they will call it something like "Tokerun Go".)

What I don't get is the people that are roaming around at 3 AM playing this. Is that part of the game play? Do you get random alerts to go out at any time? Or do you win more stuff if you're out at 3 AM? Sounds like a good way to get shot by a good guy with a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey