Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:02 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Call me crazy, but I don't consider Long Valley all that rural. I kinda agree that its mainly wealthier, Morris County residents that commute to Northeast NJ for jobs and maybe do so lawn mowing/tree pruning on the weekend. I'm very pro-rural and like the area, but I definitely see a lot of well-to-do, kinda snobby people at the Long Valley Brewpub and that lil Dunkin Donuts shopping center.
Long Valley (Washington Township) is 44 square miles. The part on the mountain that shares a border with Lebanon Township between Route 57 and Route 513 is decidedly more rural than the eastern part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 08:17 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Long Valley (Washington Township) is 44 square miles. The part on the mountain that shares a border with Lebanon Township between Route 57 and Route 513 is decidedly more rural than the eastern part.
Good point. I was thinking more of Long Valley village area. That area over by Beattystown is pretty rural. I never personally considered that area Long Valley, more Washington Township. But you're right, it is Long Valley.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:19 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Call me crazy, but I don't consider Long Valley all that rural. I kinda agree that its mainly wealthier, Morris County residents that commute to Northeast NJ for jobs and maybe do so lawn mowing/tree pruning on the weekend.

I'm very pro-rural and like the area, but I definitely see a lot of well-to-do, kinda snobby people at the Long Valley Brewpub and that lil Dunkin Donuts shopping center.
Correct, it is a rustic suburb, and very few of the residents are missing any teeth. Montague is rural. Harmony Twp is rural. Washington Twp, like its wealthier cousins Chester and Mendham, is a suburb of NY City. I wouldn't even classify it as an exurb, it is too close and there are too many daily commuters.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Good point. I was thinking more of Long Valley village area. That area over by Beattystown is pretty rural. I never personally considered that area Long Valley, more Washington Township. But you're right, it is Long Valley.
Nobody refers to any part of Washington Township as anything other than Long Valley even though it's technically only a small unincorporated area of the township. They should probably just change the name entirely like Robbinsville (Formerly Washington, but no one ever called it that) did.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:29 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Correct, it is a rustic suburb, and very few of the residents are missing any teeth. Montague is rural. Harmony Twp is rural. Washington Twp, like its wealthier cousins Chester and Mendham, is a suburb of NY City. I wouldn't even classify it as an exurb, it is too close and there are too many daily commuters.
Basically Morris County, with the slight exception of the area near Beattystown/Penwell and perhaps most of Jefferson Township (area by Greenpond Road), is pretty squarely NYC suburbs.

I had an argument with someone the other day, he was saying Mt. Olive was rural, and I just don't see it that way. Its still Morris county!

Old 08-22-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I had an argument with someone the other day, he was saying Mt. Olive was rural, and I just don't see it that way. Its still Morris county!
Jefferson is Morris County. Sidenote-apologies to the OP for this hijack...hope the first couple of posts were at least helpful

Old 08-23-2016, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 4,891 times
Thanks for all the information and it has been very much appreciated. We were outbid on the house

Old 08-23-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRN1234 View Post
Thanks for all the information and it has been very much appreciated. We were outbid on the house
Sorry to hear that and best of luck with the search. Long Valley is a great area!

Old 08-23-2016, 06:54 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,790,391 times
Quote:
Clearly it's popular then.

Sorry to hear that.

I consider Long Valley a "rural suburb" and Chester/Mendham "upscale suburban country", with parts of LV falling that way and other parts more rural/country.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:58 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
My family is looking to purchase a home in Long Valley. We love one house in particular, but there is one issue. The house is on a private unpaved street shared with about 10 other houses. You can't drive more than 5 miles an hour on the street (we have young kids so that's ok). We are concerned with resale value, wear on our cars, plowing, repairs to street, etc. Is this a deal breaker?? Should we be concerned??
I know which house you're thinking of... (I live here)
I can't answer the private road question, there are several in town but I don't live on one.
Good luck!

eta - shame on me for not reading until the end. You'll find something, feel free to PM me any questions about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey