Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 09:35 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,963 times

Advertisements

i am curious about what living is like in other parts of the country. particularly areas i am thinking of moving to in the future.

these include:
bay area, ca
orange county, ca
seattle, wa
asheville, nc
denver, co

but in general, it would be interesting to hear about the pros/cons of other areas vs our home state of NJ.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 05:02 PM

18 posts, read 22,582 times
Lived in Flemington from birth-17. Went to Vermont for college. Ended up getting stuck up here. Want to move back in the worst way. (7 years later). I have recently gotten my residency back, awaiting a full time job (that pays enough) to move back full time. For now I stay in VT with Jersey plates. Never appreciated NJ until I had to leave, but I lived in a very small town.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:32 AM

180 posts, read 345,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBoy705 View Post
Lived in Flemington from birth-17. Went to Vermont for college. Ended up getting stuck up here. Want to move back in the worst way. (7 years later). I have recently gotten my residency back, awaiting a full time job (that pays enough) to move back full time. For now I stay in VT with Jersey plates. Never appreciated NJ until I had to leave, but I lived in a very small town.
Just curious - why don't you like VT compared to NJ?

I had friends that moved their business to VT and I've always been a little jealous that they live there full-time now. Maybe I shouldn't be???

Old 10-19-2014, 06:54 PM

349 posts, read 781,746 times
I moved here from the Atlanta area 5 years ago. Some things are less advanced in a way in NJ than what I was used to back home. For example, a 24 hour gym was fairly common and nothing special down there. I've joined about 4 different gyms here due to living in various areas and none of them were 24 hours. In fact, they often had ridiculous hours like closing at 7pm on the weekend. This closing early thing is kind of a trend and a gripe I have with NJ. For example, you can only buy beer at liquor stores but they close at 10 (or something like that). Most of the gas stations are these little tiny places with barely anything on the inside that also seem to close early. I really miss the 24 hour QuikTrips that used to be on every exit back home (I'm told WaWa is similar to QuikTrip but I've only ever seen one the entire time I've been here). Of course you should know the cost of living is through the roof. You can live like a king in some other parts of the country for what would get you a run down looking house/apt here.

Now, you might think I hate NJ after all that. Not true. I actually love it here. I find Jersey City and Hoboken to be great urban areas that offer many of the same amenities you could find in NYC. Speaking of NYC, it's right across the river so you can visit any time. NJ also has great schools if you have kids (I don't). They also have some pretty great food. Ever heard of Taylor Ham (or Pork Roll). Well I never did either but I'm glad I now know what it is. The weather isn't really that bad. Coming from the south I was very concerned but it really only snows a handful of times a year and if you dress appropriately it's no big deal. You also are close to the beach during the summer with the Jersey shore. All in all I think NJ is a decent place to live. It's biggest downfall in my opinion is the sky high cost of living. I know you know all of this already since you're presumably from NJ, just giving my thoughts as an outsider.

Last edited by Lagwagon113; 10-19-2014 at 07:06 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 05:51 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
I lived in Roanoke VA,not far from NC in the late 90s...and other than some locals not getting or liking me,eventually I was accepted for the most part. Plus there are more northern transplants down in those areas nowadays.

I just moved to the Seattle area last year and wow almost like night and day...the pluses are people are more laid back,almost too much. And I tend to stick out alot with my 'NJ attitude',so if you like bland things then Seattle is ok; The weather is the best thing in my opinion.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:32 PM

7 posts, read 5,434 times
I lived in the Denver metro area for 8 years. It's sunny 300+ days of the year. The snow melts in a day or two, except for the occasional blizzard. There is no humidity and very few bugs that bite. And of course the mountains and a ton of outdoor activities. Public transportation (RTD) is good. You need to pump your own gas. Flying in and out of DIA is great because the runways are so long. Definitely walkable downtown. Museums, restaurants, non-outdoor activities, etc. on a smaller scale than the city but very respectable. A lot of professional, amateur, and pickup sports. Cost of living is comparable (I've been living in Rahway for about 5 months) except housing is less expensive. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:59 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,102,689 times
Lived in New Jersey all my life. Moved to Columbus, Ohio more than four years ago.

Absolutely love Columbus. Ohio friendliness, lots of population growth/urban development, great restaurants, political center of a swing state etc.

Things I miss about NJ, mostly the friends I left behind on the east coast, the rail system and the shore. Overall I'm proud to be from Jersey but have zero intentions of moving back.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:57 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,740,228 times
I lived in CT and NYC majority of my life but did spend a year and a half in south jersey before moving to Washington this year. Gotta admit I wasn't a big fan of the area. Met some cool people for sure but the area just wasn't for me. I was paying nearly the same as NYC without the amenities and convenience that the city offers. I'm also big into outdoors so Washington is like a paradise to me. Also as other poster above mentioned it is way more chill out here and slower paced compared to jersey. And the weather is amazing. Plus I had super bad allergies on the east coast yet none over here. That said I do like lots of parts of north jersey and the beaches are swimable there lol. PNW beaches are fairly windy and cold but they are super pretty. Oh ya I do miss Wawa lol

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 08-19-2016 at 12:07 AM..

Old 08-24-2016, 07:39 AM

714 posts, read 722,495 times
Moved to Durham, NC in December after 59 years in NJ. I moved because of the expense of living in Jersey and fatigue with the "Jersey attitude." I found the pervasive climate of pissed-offness that exists in northern NJ was getting toxic to my well being.

I haven't looked back.

I don't care about bagels and I don't care that much about NJ pizza (though I miss a good meatball sub). The one thing I miss is good deli, but it's not like there are a lot of "New York-style" delis in northern NJ left anyway. But I am finding the quality of life to be much better -- highly educated very liberal population in Durham and environs with an interest in arts and culture, greater friendliness, people here don't have that Jersey chip on their shoulders, somewhat slower pace, somewhat less traffic, significantly less property taxes. Yes, summer is hot -- more days over 90 than in Jersery, but as long as the a/c holds out it's not a problem. LOTs of good meetups for arts, culture, volunteering, politics. I'm very happy with the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey