Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 07:21 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times

Advertisements

look up accent reduction on youtube, or internet, it will be free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 08:32 AM

4 posts, read 2,445 times
Default Thanks for the many suggestions

Thanks a lot everyone who provided valuable suggestions.

Here is the background why I was seeking suggestions.

Since communication is key in our daily interaction it becomes even more important in a professional setup to be effective at communicating your ideas and opinions. Though diversity is celebrated, a persons ability to express clearly in a native tone gets the message across instantly facilitating easier exchange.

In my personal and professional experience I have noticed that accent does act as a barrier during group meetings/discussions where the audience will spend less time digesting the information only because they were unable to fully comprehend the words while the discussion is moving at a brisk pace. One can make out from the facial expressions that people are trying hard to understand what is being said. I don't hold it against them because as others have pointed out its impossible to get rid of an accent past a certain age but I think the onus is on me to soften my accent to the best possible level.

Once again folks at CD never fail

Old 08-29-2016, 08:46 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
U wot m8?
Haha^^^^ Are asking "You what mate?"

Old 08-29-2016, 08:51 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Keep practicing. The likelihood of you getting rid of your accent is next to impossible if you came to this country after the age of 13.
Yeeeesssss, so true ^^^^^!

It depends also what your native language is.

Germans hardly can get rid of their accent, no matter how long they are in a foreign country. German is a hard and not smooth, melodic language.

Same with French, Italian, and, sorry, also Americans keep their American accent.

Asians, I think, are best in getting rid of their native accent.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:15 AM

714 posts, read 722,135 times
I'm not sure you should want to trade in your native accent, whatever it is, for a "Jersey accent." I recently moved to North Carolina after being in NJ since 1957. Everyone knows I'm from NJ, and when I asked one southerner how long it would take me to get rid of mine, he said "Oh, honey, you ain't NEVAH gonna be able to lose THAT one!"

Old 08-29-2016, 02:51 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Some change happens subconsciously - at least English to English. I remember when my relatives from Utah, where I grew up, started teasing me about pronouncing 'dog' (daahg in the west), 'dawg'.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:39 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
I improved my accent by recording myself reading and listen to it. At first, I couldn't even understand myself. Slowly, I was able to understand myself and able to hear my own accent. I don't think I have an accent now. I do have a deep monotone like a lot of men do.

My sister got rid of her accent by going to a speech therapist when she was in HS.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I improved my accent by recording myself reading and listen to it. At first, I couldn't even understand myself. Slowly, I was able to understand myself and able to hear my own accent. I don't think I have an accent now. I do have a deep monotone like a lot of men do.

My sister got rid of her accent by going to a speech therapist when she was in HS.
Thank you

Old 08-30-2016, 07:13 AM

Default Posting some links I consider useful and plan on using

Don't know if its ok to put these links here. I searched for 'pronunciation software' and found the following links. Haven't had a chance to try any of these as yet but surely plan to use them over the next couple of days.

How Do You Say That? The 10 Coolest Pronunciation Tools for ESL Students

Learn English | Pronunciation Power Software

How it works | FluentIQ

https://www.englishcentral.com/cart/...premium#/plans - leaning towards this one though the cost is $89/month!

Will update as I make progress

Old 08-31-2016, 11:30 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
What about people that move here from down South? Do they lose their southern drawl? I always wondered about that. I know people that moved from the North to the South and when they are down south they have the drawl, but they are able to turn it off when they come back up North. It's pretty interesting. The way people talk down South is basically a foreign language.
There are always hints. For some reason it drives me nuts that southerners don't say the short e and instead say it the same as a short i. So they say both pin and pen like pin.

I think that must be hard to lose because I hear newscasters say "Tin o'clock" and the voice on my work phone says "Inter your passcode".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey