Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,076 times

Advertisements

My 82 year old mother-in-law gifted her 35,000 mile 2002 Toyota Camry to my son in June 2015. This well cared for single owned car had a few dings in the rear of the car but overall was in great running condition. We had taken our other cars to STS for oil changes, so we continued with this vehicle. While my son was home on a visit we had the oil changed. A short time later we got a call from my son saying the car wouldn't start. We had it to towed to STS to have it looked at and they said the ENGINE was ruined! After some discussion they said there was no oil in the car.We reminded them that they were the only repair shop we had used,and later they took responsibility for it saying the oil pan screws were missing. They offered us $3000.00 saying that it would cost more to repair it or to find an engine with the now 43,000 miles the car had. They told us WE could probably find a 100,000mile used engine for around $2000.00. We have refused the offer and have had to rent a car. They have not apologized and to add insult to injury, STS wanted to charge us $25.00 a day for storage.
At the advice of an attorney we had the car towed to the local Toyota dealer for an estimate to have a used engine or a complete new T-block replacement. They estimated $6055.96 or $7961.95 plus tax. STS has been sent the information but has not moved from their offer. I am not sure what my next move should be. Contact the state Attorney, hire the attorney, contact a local television consumer reporter, or all of the above.
Please advise,
Frustrateddeb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 11:45 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrateddeb View Post
My 82 year old mother-in-law gifted her 35,000 mile 2002 Toyota Camry to my son in June 2015. This well cared for single owned car had a few dings in the rear of the car but overall was in great running condition. We had taken our other cars to STS for oil changes, so we continued with this vehicle. While my son was home on a visit we had the oil changed. A short time later we got a call from my son saying the car wouldn't start. We had it to towed to STS to have it looked at and they said the ENGINE was ruined! After some discussion they said there was no oil in the car.We reminded them that they were the only repair shop we had used,and later they took responsibility for it saying the oil pan screws were missing. They offered us $3000.00 saying that it would cost more to repair it or to find an engine with the now 43,000 miles the car had. They told us WE could probably find a 100,000mile used engine for around $2000.00. We have refused the offer and have had to rent a car. They have not apologized and to add insult to injury, STS wanted to charge us $25.00 a day for storage.
At the advice of an attorney we had the car towed to the local Toyota dealer for an estimate to have a used engine or a complete new T-block replacement. They estimated $6055.96 or $7961.95 plus tax. STS has been sent the information but has not moved from their offer. I am not sure what my next move should be. Contact the state Attorney, hire the attorney, contact a local television consumer reporter, or all of the above.
Please advise,
Frustrateddeb
Find a good attorney and have them write a strongly worded letter to STS.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:48 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,093 times
Document everything and lawyer up!

Old 09-04-2016, 01:53 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
A friend of mine recently went to a different chain. Meineke for an oil change and they forgot to screw the oil filler cap atop the engine back on.

About 10 minutes down the road his car caught on fire from the engine and was fully destroyed. They gave him NOTHING.

I m not sure what to to say or advise otherwise My friend wound up doing some fundraiser and bought a different car.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:35 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
They offered us $3000.00 saying that it would cost more to repair it or to find an engine with the now 43,000 miles the car had.

The book value of the car is somewhere between $3k and $4k, so you can't expect to get more than the actual book value for this 14 year old car. While I really do empathize with your plight, I don't think that you can logically expect more than a $4k settlement from them, although you may well need the intervention of an attorney to secure that amount.

I would recommend having your attorney send a demand letter for $4k, plus the cost of your car rental fees.

Addendum:
I think that they most likely found that the drain plug was missing, and that can happen if the drain plug wasn't properly torqued after draining the oil. If the oil pan screws were missing, that would have been a case of VERY recent blatant vandalism, the oil pan wouldn't even have been in place underneath the engine, and engine failure would have taken place within seconds of leaving their facility.

Last edited by Retriever; 09-04-2016 at 02:50 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 02:57 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,931,688 times
I had similar situation on my 99 SR5 with Toy dealer.We were getting ready for trip to CT from FL and brought truck in for 3000 mile oil change and tire rotation and other fluids changed.Truck does not use oil.
We drove to Ct and when I was ready to leave,checked oil,down a quart and black.If I had driven home probably would have hurt engine,changed oil and when I got home had Toyota change it again,they apologized and did it free.
They did not change oil.My oil is clear after 204,000 miles.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:01 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The book value of the car is somewhere between $3k and $4k, so you can't expect to get more than the actual book value for this 14 year old car. While I really do empathize with your plight, I don't think that you can logically expect more than a $4k settlement from them, although you may well need the intervention of an attorney to secure that amount.

I would recommend having your attorney send a demand letter for $4k, plus the cost of your car rental fees.

Addendum:
I think that they most likely found that the drain plug was missing, and that can happen if the drain plug wasn't properly torqued after draining the oil. If the oil pan screws were missing, that would have been a case of VERY recent blatant vandalism, the oil pan wouldn't even have been in place underneath the engine, and engine failure would have taken place within seconds of leaving their facility.
A while back there was a thread either here or on the Automotive forum about the importance of basic mechanical knowledge with regard to owning a car. I caught quite a bit of flack for implying that when you think about it, it's pretty ridiculous to own and rely on a very complex machine that often costs in excess of $20K and to not have a clue as to how it works. STS definitely shares some culpability here, but the fact that this kid drove the car around without oil in it to the point that the engine seized up is absurd. Did he not know what this means?

If he had stopped driving as soon as that light came on and called for a tow, the car would have been fine

Quote:
I am not sure what my next move should be.
Get the kid a used engine from a scrapyard, a Toyota Factory Service Manual, and tell him to get to work. Then maybe next time a light pops up on his dashboard he'll pay attention to it.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:14 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
It's a car from 2002. No matter how many miles on it it's not going to be worth it to replace the engine unless it's rare.

Camrys don't really rate "rare" very often. Your emotional value is more than the actual monetary value. Add the fact that you have been wronged (and, you have been wronged) and you're adding to the emotional value.

However, courts are the only place you're going to get emotional costs. You might get another grand out of them with a letter from a lawyer but it'll cost you five hundred dollars.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:22 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,825 times
Your OP states you received advice from an attorney. Why not follow up? It's unlikely you will get more than the $3000 offered.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:29 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
A while back there was a thread either here or on the Automotive forum about the importance of basic mechanical knowledge with regard to owning a car. I caught quite a bit of flack for implying that when you think about it, it's pretty ridiculous to own and rely on a very complex machine that often costs in excess of $20K and to not have a clue as to how it works. STS definitely shares some culpability here, but the fact that this kid drove the car around without oil in it to the point that the engine seized up is absurd. Did he not know what this means?

If he had stopped driving as soon as that light came on and called for a tow, the car would have been fine

Get the kid a used engine from a scrapyard, a Toyota Factory Service Manual, and tell him to get to work. Then maybe next time a light pops up on his dashboard he'll pay attention to it.
This is bad advice, you and I may be able to replace an engine but 90% of drivers barely know how to replace wiper blades.

I agree with Retriever, negotiate for 4K, find another POS car and chalk it up to a learning experience.
And never ever take your car to a quickie oil change place. Find a real repair shop if you can't DIY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey