Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 06:12 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times

Advertisements

If this is happening in Maplewood, it's happening in your town. We have a responsibility to do better.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/op...ttle-girl.html

Old 10-14-2016, 06:49 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,480 times
That's a big wow. NJ is so multi-cultural I thought most people would be color-blind.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:02 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
Maplewood is a liberal utopia

Old 10-14-2016, 09:19 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,258 times
I don't live in Maplewood, but why do we have to do any thing?

"Second, all the white children in earshot also need to see that resistance and be taught that standing by silently is an endorsement." Why? It sounds like he wants special treatment for being black.

It sounds like he doesn't want to live in a black area, but lives in a white area and cries racism and others have to stand up for his son. If he feels this way, move.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:57 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Reading this "story" made my bullsh*tometer peg.

It's too well laid out.

I'm calling out this is a bouncy.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:20 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I don't live in Maplewood, but why do we have to do any thing?

"Second, all the white children in earshot also need to see that resistance and be taught that standing by silently is an endorsement." Why? It sounds like he wants special treatment for being black.

It sounds like he doesn't want to live in a black area, but lives in a white area and cries racism and others have to stand up for his son. If he feels this way, move.

It's appalling that you see it this way. He's not asking for special treatment for being black. He's asking for his son to be treated like everyone else. The right thing to do as a human being, regardless of race, when you see someone being cruel to someone else is to try to correct that behavior. If your kid was being bullied in school, wouldn't you want other kids to step up in his defense? It's the right thing to do.

Also, Maplewood is about 35% black which is almost 3 times as high as the country as a whole. Not that any of that should matter, because people should be able to live wherever they please. It's insane that the solution in your eyes would be to move. You sound like one of those "well then go back to Africa" people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Reading this "story" made my bullsh*tometer peg.

It's too well laid out.

I'm calling out this is a bouncy.

I know right. Racism in 2016? That's so 1960's. Totally not believable.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:25 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
fakehatecrimes.org

That said, it's not entirely unbelievable. You know kids can notice differences and split into groups based on them even without any cues from their parents, right?

Old 10-15-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
It's appalling that you see it this way. He's not asking for special treatment for being black. He's asking for his son to be treated like everyone else. The right thing to do as a human being, regardless of race, when you see someone being cruel to someone else is to try to correct that behavior. If your kid was being bullied in school, wouldn't you want other kids to step up in his defense? It's the right thing to do.

Also, Maplewood is about 35% black which is almost 3 times as high as the country as a whole. Not that any of that should matter, because people should be able to live wherever they please. It's insane that the solution in your eyes would be to move. You sound like one of those "well then go back to Africa" people.

I know right. Racism in 2016? That's so 1960's. Totally not believable.
I highly doubt that's his intention. Why not talk about bullying/being nice to others? Nope, he even says in the end he specifically going to talk to his child about events that happened against black people. He's playing the race card. What if everyone was picking on a kid that wore glasses? The author probably wouldn't care or tell his kids, or ALL kids, to jump in. I sort of agree, at some point you have to learn to stick up for yourself and/or not care what other think.

I'm just tired of this double standard. The author gets special treatment and everyone should defend HIS kid because they're black. Just as notice the he doesn't want to live in a black area. That's "ok" because he's black. When others don't want to live with blacks, it's racist.

I'm just saying if he has so much "racism" go live in an all black area, but he doesn't want to. That speak volumes to me.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
fakehatecrimes.org

That said, it's not entirely unbelievable. You know kids can notice differences and split into groups based on them even without any cues from their parents, right?
I believe that's what the child did. If the child said "I don't play with Chinese people", the author wouldn't care. I think that's the problem. If you have a problem with a child playing that way you have problem whether she's doing to a race or any nonbehavior trait (say glasses). The author is making it clear, he's sticking up for his own. Which is ok, but I don't like the message of we have to stick up for him to. Why? Is he sticking up for others? No, blacks people like to throw around the word racism for special treatment.

Term 'racist' too often used to silence dissenting views | NJ.com

Old 10-15-2016, 10:43 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I highly doubt that's his intention. Why not talk about bullying/being nice to others? Nope, he even says in the end he specifically going to talk to his child about events that happened against black people. He's playing the race card. What if everyone was picking on a kid that wore glasses? The author probably wouldn't care or tell his kids, or ALL kids, to jump in. I sort of agree, at some point you have to learn to stick up for yourself and/or not care what other think.

I'm just tired of this double standard. The author gets special treatment and everyone should defend HIS kid because they're black. Just as notice the he doesn't want to live in a black area. That's "ok" because he's black. When others don't want to live with blacks, it's racist.

I'm just saying if he has so much "racism" go live in an all black area, but he doesn't want to. That speak volumes to me.

I don't even know where to start dissecting this nonsense but here goes...

How do YOU know what his intentions are?

Of course he's going to talk to his kid about black people! Do you not live in the same America as the rest of us? Have you not seen the number of unarmed black people killed by law enforcement, sometimes with their hands up in the air? Who wouldn't want their kid to be aware of this?

The author gets special treatment? Huh? His son being told he cannot play with white kids is special treatment in your warped point of view? He's asking for equal treatment. You bringing up hypothetical situation about a kid with glasses being picked on means absolutely nothing because the fact is you don't know whether the author would have reacted the same way or not. You're making a whole lot of assumptions

Who said he doesn't want to live with black people? How many towns in NJ have a predominantly black population and are regarded as a good place to raise a family? Probably none. In fact, he probably chose to live in Maplewood because of the quality of school systems paired with the high population of black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: