Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:58 PM

47 posts, read 217,904 times

Advertisements

I heard from a friend of mine that the State is trying to outlaw aluminum bats. I know they probably can do this but the question is why? Can a kid even buy a wooden bat his size anymore? It sounds to me like someone somewhere got sued, and now they're pulling the plug on the whole thing. Can all sports be far behind? I surely hope not. Any Info? Comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 05:01 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Aluminum bats have been a no-no in many leagues for years- they're so light that they get moving too fast and clobber the ball, which isn't an ideal situation for Little League. I can't think of the last time I saw an aluminum bat used in Little League to be honest.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:51 PM

47 posts, read 217,904 times
Default Agrre to disagree

Sorry Bob, but Ive been involved in Little league since 1982,in different parts of the State, and I can't remember seeing more than 1 kid a year using a wood back. Nothing prsonal, maybe it's just the town where you were. I was involved in Bergen and Sussex counties.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:33 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyflyer View Post
I heard from a friend of mine that the State is trying to outlaw aluminum bats. I know they probably can do this but the question is why? Can a kid even buy a wooden bat his size anymore? It sounds to me like someone somewhere got sued, and now they're pulling the plug on the whole thing. Can all sports be far behind? I surely hope not. Any Info? Comments
Having been involved with baseball and softball with my three children for nearly twenty years I can add some comments to this topic. First off Little League allows each individual league to determine on the use of aluminum or wooden bats. New York City has banned the use of aluminum in High School baseball games. Aluminum bats that are used in Little League play have to conform to Little League specs. The ball does not come off the aluminum bat any faster than a wooden bat (that is, aluminum bats that are approved for little league play). I know some people here may say "but the study says that the ball does travel off a aluminum bat, faster than wood". The reply to that is the study that most anti-aluminum bat people quote is over thirty years old and certainly dosen't apply to bats made for Little League play today. Once again we are talking aluminum bats specifically designated for Little League use. The answer to your question is yes wooden bats can be purchased for little league play. Much of the hype about aluminum bats come from those used outside of Little League play. There are double walled bats, nitrogen filled bats and composite bats. Some of these bats are allowed by certain sanctioning bodies and some are not. When my daughters were playing high scool, college and tournament softball the big craze was when some bodies authorized the use of composite bats. Believe me, at nearly $250 a pop it cost me a small fortune for the two of them (composite bats crack and fracture). Not to mention buying bats for my son that was playing AAU baseball. A little known fact is that in the last ten years more children have died from injuries sustained from balls hit by wooden bats than aluminum. With all that being said, I'll say I personally feel that all aluminum and composite bats should be banned. If nothing else it would level the playing field. Anybody that has been involved in baseball and softball can tell you that often times a players hitting performance is directly dictated by the type of bat that he/she can afford. I can tell you from experience that my one daughter who was able to drive a ball aprox. 230-240 feet with her single walled aluminum bat could drive the ball 250+ feet with her $250. composite bat. When my son played high school ball as a senior there were times that he used a wooden bat against certain pitchers (he loved the wooden bat in bunting situations). If you do an internet search you will find numerous vendors that carry wooden bats approved for Little League play.

Last edited by exhdo1; 02-26-2008 at 07:49 AM..

Old 02-26-2008, 07:55 AM

46 posts, read 175,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyflyer View Post

This came up after a little boy in Wayne was hit by a ball hit by an aluminum bat and his heart stopped. He was in a coma for quite a while and still suffers from medical issues.

This has also raised the issue of pitchers wearing chest protectors as well.

I really don't have an opinion on the bat issue but don't see why the chest protector wouldn't be a good idea.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsnj View Post
This came up after a little boy in Wayne was hit by a ball hit by an aluminum bat and his heart stopped. He was in a coma for quite a while and still suffers from medical issues.

This has also raised the issue of pitchers wearing chest protectors as well.

I really don't have an opinion on the bat issue but don't see why the chest protector wouldn't be a good idea.
I would think a chest protector on a pitcher would impede on free range of motion.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,848 times
My son was on the allstars 2 years ago and they used aluminum bats they (the officials ) seemed to care more about the size of the mitts, the size of the bats and made sure the catcher had a cup> Not one payer used a wooden bat that I can recall. ....they are trying to outlaw them becuase alot are getting hurt......I remember that young boy in Wayne....he still is recovering that was really sad. I do think pitchers should wear chest protection also.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:54 PM

201 posts, read 441,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Having been involved with baseball and softball with my three children for nearly twenty years I can add some comments to this topic. First off Little League allows each individual league to determine on the use of aluminum or wooden bats. New York City has banned the use of aluminum in High School baseball games. Aluminum bats that are used in Little League play have to conform to Little League specs. The ball does not come off the aluminum bat any faster than a wooden bat (that is, aluminum bats that are approved for little league play). I know some people here may say "but the study says that the ball does travel off a aluminum bat, faster than wood". The reply to that is the study that most anti-aluminum bat people quote is over thirty years old and certainly dosen't apply to bats made for Little League play today. Once again we are talking aluminum bats specifically designated for Little League use. The answer to your question is yes wooden bats can be purchased for little league play. Much of the hype about aluminum bats come from those used outside of Little League play. There are double walled bats, nitrogen filled bats and composite bats. Some of these bats are allowed by certain sanctioning bodies and some are not. When my daughters were playing high scool, college and tournament softball the big craze was when some bodies authorized the use of composite bats. Believe me, at nearly $250 a pop it cost me a small fortune for the two of them (composite bats crack and fracture). Not to mention buying bats for my son that was playing AAU baseball. A little known fact is that in the last ten years more children have died from injuries sustained from balls hit by wooden bats than aluminum. With all that being said, I'll say I personally feel that all aluminum and composite bats should be banned. If nothing else it would level the playing field. Anybody that has been involved in baseball and softball can tell you that often times a players hitting performance is directly dictated by the type of bat that he/she can afford. I can tell you from experience that my one daughter who was able to drive a ball aprox. 230-240 feet with her single walled aluminum bat could drive the ball 250+ feet with her $250. composite bat. When my son played high school ball as a senior there were times that he used a wooden bat against certain pitchers (he loved the wooden bat in bunting situations). If you do an internet search you will find numerous vendors that carry wooden bats approved for Little League play.
I agree with you, even though i have never coached in an legue, ( having young girls that don't like baseball) i have been to L.L. games in Chester and aluminum bats are banned because of speed of the ball off the bat. But this could be for certain age brackets.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 AM

50 posts, read 215,827 times
They should outlaw all bats. PERIOD.

Kids should play a real sport that wont make them fat and lazy, like Soccer or Basketball.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro1026 View Post
They should outlaw all bats. PERIOD.

Kids should play a real sport that wont make them fat and lazy, like Soccer or Basketball.

Wow....ok let's ban America's pastime and while we are at it...how about banning hot dogs and apple pie too, oh and Chevy's. Yeah, Derek Jeter is looking pretty fat and lazy to me these days, better call the Yankees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey