Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 01:09 PM

9 posts, read 36,168 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for all of this great information. So I did look at commuting options I do currently work in Manhattan in the downtown area so I was going to bite the bullet and buy the unlimited ferry pass at the Belford ferry which I know it's expensive but way cheaper than driving every day for sure. I think it's about 635$ a month. I look at other options such as nj transit and Academy busses but it will take an extra 45 minutes going that way so it is worth it for me to shorten my commute.

I really love the Atlantic highlands area too and know it pretty well as I am a big fishermen but not much available in my price range. I really was not looking to buy a house but more of a condo less maintenance but you have to pay the fee.

Ultimately I'm not sure what I am going to decide I totally fell in love with the condo in keansberg but really trying to think this through I am going to visit this weekend and drive by those other areas you mentioned. I was also thinking about going to visit the PD in keansburg maybe get some statistics not sure. I'm getting desperate was thinking about ringing some doorbells too lol to get more information.

The seller of the condo told me the area is great and he never had any issues but hey you never know who you can trust especially when he is trying to sell the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 01:26 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
I used to work downtown and the ferry is far and away the best commute I've ever had in my life! I normally commuted by Academy bus. It's fine into Port Authority but it became unbearable by the time I stopped taking it downtown 6 years ago. The Holland Tunnel is impenetrable in the evening. It's okay in the morning but it's absolutely awful at night. If you can find something in either the Highlands or Atlantic Highlands there is another ferry from there that goes downtown (Seastreak). But the Belford ferry is a great ride, tons of parking. And a bar on board!

How close is the place you're looking at to the Amusement area? It does get crowded during the summer, but all of route 36 is crowded every weekend all summer long. I don't know if it's rowdy at all at night but it's filled with families from all over during the day. The water park is great! Also check out the Bayshore Waterfront Park. It's gorgeous bay beach and one of our new favorite places.

This whole area is wonderful. We thought we'd just be here for a few years but now we can't imagine ever leaving Monmouth County. There is so much beauty here, I really never imagined a place could be so nice.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1 View Post
Thanks For the response Irish Eyes , yeah people can be complete Aholes especially the ones with lots of money it can get to them , I make a good living but I am by no means Daddy Warbucks . So what other areas would you recommend since you have previous went through this journey from NY to NJ I really love the feel of NJ shore towns
listen, if you want to have the "people with money are a-holes" attitude then maybe you belong in keansburg. the bottom line is that this is about your quality of life, not being politically correct (unless your QOL is directly linked to political correctness).

dont buy a place in keansburg. maybe coming from staten island you dont think it is that bad but once you become a suburban nj person; you will regret that you chose keansburg. if you are a stone cold crazy mamma jamma and decide on keansburg; then rent instead of buying. you wont be able to sell your keansburg place once you have baby obi1 and you want to gtfo of there.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:23 PM

Heya captain

Thank you for the response, I'm definitely not under the impression that all people who have money are aholes is just from my experience people that have excessive money think they are better than everyone else and like to pass judgment on people who have less. Personally I am lucky to make a great salary in just trying to get the best bang for the buck but I understand what you are saying I am starting to really look at other areas I was thinking of going this weekend and really hanging out all day and night to see the action in the area but I really don't think it's an accurate gage either. So the main issue is really resale value the school system? I also noticed that taxes have increased significantly as well. The damn condo was beautiful though I was wondering to myself when I saw the location right near the bay beach view all new for such a cheap price something had to be up, like I can't be the first guy to find this place lol the same house or condo in staten island would cost about 800k compared to 300k but it's all about location I'm a noob in the home buyers world and especially in that location

I could probably afford max 420k didn't want to go much higher spice I only have a single family income I have been looking in the surrounding areas, the wife loved the keansberg property for sure just trying to talk some logic to her about the area because her mind was in stone but ultimately my decision as I'm paying for it lol

Old 11-03-2016, 02:31 PM

im not exactly sure what your priorities are but if i wanted a condo in that price range i may look at laurel green in middletown.

my brother was considering moving to some townhouse community in perth amboy after hoboken (but before a single family long term home). i just said that if he wants to do that, then rent and dont buy. ultimately, he didnt do that and recently bought a house in fair haven. with your budget, you arent buying a house in any kind of nice condition in a fancier town in the area. you could get a holmdel townhome north of 35. its less desirable than south of 35 but its still going to be nice over there.

it all depends on priorities, future plans and financial limitations. also, dont be afraid to rent if you dont think this place is going to be your permanent place.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:29 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1 View Post
Heya captain

Thank you for the response, I'm definitely not under the impression that all people who have money are aholes is just from my experience people that have excessive money think they are better than everyone else and like to pass judgment on people who have less. Personally I am lucky to make a great salary in just trying to get the best bang for the buck but I understand what you are saying I am starting to really look at other areas I was thinking of going this weekend and really hanging out all day and night to see the action in the area but I really don't think it's an accurate gage either. So the main issue is really resale value the school system? I also noticed that taxes have increased significantly as well. The damn condo was beautiful though I was wondering to myself when I saw the location right near the bay beach view all new for such a cheap price something had to be up, like I can't be the first guy to find this place lol the same house or condo in staten island would cost about 800k compared to 300k but it's all about location I'm a noob in the home buyers world and especially in that location

I could probably afford max 420k didn't want to go much higher spice I only have a single family income I have been looking in the surrounding areas, the wife loved the keansberg property for sure just trying to talk some logic to her about the area because her mind was in stone but ultimately my decision as I'm paying for it lol
If you make a "great" salary (by NYC metro standards) then you definitely can afford a better town than Keansburg. I strongly advise choosing a nicer town, and it has nothing to do with snobbery or people with money looking down on other areas. Keansburg is truly pretty s*itty. Maybe it's not that unsafe (genuinely not sure) but it's a quite run down looking place, least it was last I checked less than a decade ago. Its probably been about 7 years since I've last been there, and I only used to go for the water park and amusement park (which at least then were pretty good btw, easier than going down to 6 Flags or Seaside Heights).

Maybe the town is a little nicer right at the water (again, genuinely don't know) but if multiple people are telling you it's not the best area - listen to us, and don't think it's because we are snobby or something.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:31 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Captain provides good advice.....If you really want to try Keansburg, rent first. At your budget you wont get a huge house in a "nice" town but can afford a townhome or small home. Shrewsbury and Little Silver have 2BR 1Bth homes go in the 300's all the time. Middletown is a huge area but should provide plenty of choices, anything feeding into the South HS will command more $$ but sell easier too. You can even afford condo/townhome in Holmdel north of 35 as Captain said, he should know, he;s the dean of Holdmel....

Matawan/Aberdeen and Old Bridge are other places to look as well, but a step down in schools and a step up in congestion and crime from the others. You could get more home for your $$ and commute if you're heading into NYC would be easier as well. Hazlet is prob a place you could look for a SFH if you want but taxes might be killer.

Really you'll be limited by your housing expectations and commuting reality balanced by quality of life you find acceptable. I would also be worried about flooding and taxes in Keansburg.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:03 PM

You guys are awesome thank you for the advice I actually called the keansberg seller telling him I will not be making an offer and upped my budget to 400k looking for a 3 bedroom condo. Find some nice condos in North Middletown and Aberdeen that I am going to take a look at this weekend after I visit the fishery in Keyport ��. Thank you for the advice I feel as I doged a bullet

Old 11-04-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Captain provides good advice.....If you really want to try Keansburg, rent first. At your budget you wont get a huge house in a "nice" town but can afford a townhome or small home. Shrewsbury and Little Silver have 2BR 1Bth homes go in the 300's all the time. Middletown is a huge area but should provide plenty of choices, anything feeding into the South HS will command more $$ but sell easier too. You can even afford condo/townhome in Holmdel north of 35 as Captain said, he should know, he;s the dean of Holdmel....

Matawan/Aberdeen and Old Bridge are other places to look as well, but a step down in schools and a step up in congestion and crime from the others. You could get more home for your $$ and commute if you're heading into NYC would be easier as well. Hazlet is prob a place you could look for a SFH if you want but taxes might be killer.

Really you'll be limited by your housing expectations and commuting reality balanced by quality of life you find acceptable. I would also be worried about flooding and taxes in Keansburg.
i appreciate the vote of confidence! i always try to give the right advice even if it isnt the politically correct advice. i also kind of talk like a jerk but i cant help it, im an internet troll in my spare time.

Ob1, your wife will appreciate the decision in the long run even if she loved the place. i remember i looked at hazlet when i was first home searching and i was strongly advised against by (by a guy that lives in "the woods" off 35 in holmdel). back then, it seemed like an awesome house & great deal but passing on hazlet was the right choice. i dont really care if im considered a holmdel snob.

we have a lot of friends that live in middletown. i know south is the more desirable when it comes to schools. did the two of you grow up on staten island?

Old 11-04-2016, 03:18 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i appreciate the vote of confidence! i always try to give the right advice even if it isnt the politically correct advice. i also kind of talk like a jerk but i cant help it, im an internet troll in my spare time.

Ob1, your wife will appreciate the decision in the long run even if she loved the place. i remember i looked at hazlet when i was first home searching and i was strongly advised against by (by a guy that lives in "the woods" off 35 in holmdel). back then, it seemed like an awesome house & great deal but passing on hazlet was the right choice. i dont really care if im considered a holmdel snob.

we have a lot of friends that live in middletown. i know south is the more desirable when it comes to schools. did the two of you grow up on staten island?
I think people can go eitehr way with the PC stuff....it cuts both ways, a lot of people prefer to live in the "nice" towns, others may not care...but it should still be put out there as a choice and info given rather than just pretending Keansburg is as "nice" as Holmdel or Middletown......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey