Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2016, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,246 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Southern New Jersey next year from NYC as my husband recently accepted a job in Cherry Hill. We are early 30s and looking to start a family soon but I also like a little hustle and bustle as a New Yorker. Right now I live in Riverdale in the Bronx which I really enjoy - some smaller neighborhoods, lots of trees, not a ton of traffic or people (vs Manhattan) but plenty of places to walk for groceries, restaurants, and a quick 20 minute train ride into Grand Central. So, I'm looking for that sort of vibe if possible.

Collingswood/Haddon Township looks promising as it seems like it has some things to do there and is also a quick PATCO ride away from Philly. Also looking into Cherry Hill as the houses seem a little nicer there and still a quick ride into Philly but I'm afraid it's all suburban neighborhoods and no where to hang out.

I would also like the option of working in Philly (I currently commute to Manhattan) so I would like a place that I could make the daily commute if necessary.

What's the walkability in these towns? I will probably get a car when I move but I prefer to walk or take transit when it's available. Any other towns that might fit the bill?

Thanks for your time and input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 01:21 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,756,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsnay View Post
I am moving to Southern New Jersey next year from NYC as my husband recently accepted a job in Cherry Hill. We are early 30s and looking to start a family soon but I also like a little hustle and bustle as a New Yorker. Right now I live in Riverdale in the Bronx which I really enjoy - some smaller neighborhoods, lots of trees, not a ton of traffic or people (vs Manhattan) but plenty of places to walk for groceries, restaurants, and a quick 20 minute train ride into Grand Central. So, I'm looking for that sort of vibe if possible.

Collingswood/Haddon Township looks promising as it seems like it has some things to do there and is also a quick PATCO ride away from Philly. Also looking into Cherry Hill as the houses seem a little nicer there and still a quick ride into Philly but I'm afraid it's all suburban neighborhoods and no where to hang out.

I would also like the option of working in Philly (I currently commute to Manhattan) so I would like a place that I could make the daily commute if necessary.

What's the walkability in these towns? I will probably get a car when I move but I prefer to walk or take transit when it's available. Any other towns that might fit the bill?

Thanks for your time and input!
Hard to say because I don't know what you can afford, but I would add haddonfield to the list if the cost is not too high. Maybe haddon heights as well although they don't have a train, so you would probably have to drive to the westmont (haddon twp) station as you can't walk from haddon heights to there...unless you have a lot of time to kill.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,246 times
Looking in the 300 range

Old 11-03-2016, 06:08 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,756,084 times
Probably won't find much in Haddonfield for 300K. Haddon Heights might have a few houses out there for you to take a bite at. But yeah, I would focus on Collingswood and Haddon Twp. Your concerns about Cherry Hill are well founded. Culturally speaking, I don't think you would like it, and I would advise that you don't look there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey