Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 07:35 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

I am not a hunter but I think that hunting season starts soon, so this may change. But does anyone else think that the deer have gotten completely out of control? I know people often complain about them, but I have never in my life seen so many as now. I looked out my window today and counted seven, and that's just from the view I had in my small window. I see them every - single - night driving home. And it's not just the one deer on the side of the road that I used to see in past years. They are in packs. I see three, four, and even five at a time. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 07:52 AM

5,068 posts, read 2,278,237 times
I don't see them every day, but there's a group of seven or eight that comes along the back of our yard a couple times a week. NJ's hunts are very controlled. Maybe the counties will raise the number that can be taken this year. One problem in more populated areas is that you have few hunters, and those who do hunt are limited to shotgun with rifled slugs. Most people who are traditional hunters use rifles.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:19 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Saw more a couple of years ago. Maybe the coyotes are taking care of some of the problem now.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 9,904 times
Yes, the deer are out of control in my neighborhood.

I sadly lost a friend when the vehicle she was a passenger in hit a deer. Given that, I am especially concerned about how many deer I see in the neighborhoods these days, especially when night driving. I wish more could be done to control the population. If not hunting, then perhaps a contraception program, although I believe those are experimental and pricey options.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:23 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Yes we are seeing more and more and more. Any time I am driving that is not total daylight ( and then it might happen as well) I am totally looking on both sides of the road and almost always at least once a day will see mulitple deer hanging around. This is in Central NJ on county roads.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:32 AM

108 posts, read 152,203 times
In 2014, on the half mile stretch of road where I work, there were 14 deer killed by cars. Last year there were none.

Waiting to see what happens this year.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:19 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,755 times
i see deer poop on my backyard all the time now. What can be helpful against deers?

Old 11-23-2016, 08:04 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
i see deer poop on my backyard all the time now. What can be helpful against deers?
Get a fence.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:09 AM

5,068 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandBlue View Post
Yes, the deer are out of control in my neighborhood.

I sadly lost a friend when the vehicle she was a passenger in hit a deer. Given that, I am especially concerned about how many deer I see in the neighborhoods these days, especially when night driving. I wish more could be done to control the population. If not hunting, then perhaps a contraception program, although I believe those are experimental and pricey options.
They're expensive, and they don't work. The first part of the article talks about the complications of doe being in heat continually, since they don't get pregnant, and that attracts more bucks. This means that although there were fewer does and fawns, the number of deer on campus remained steady.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...0ce_story.html

"Cornell has begun experiments with ovary removal in deer, but Curtis’s team has already had a surprise.
“Three of the 77 tubal ligation deer gave birth to fawns,” Curtis said. “These three deer were recaptured and later were given ovariectomies. All three had ovarian anomalies, and at least one experienced tissue regrowth post-surgery.”

Even after the surgical removal of their ovaries, one of the three deer became pregnant again. It is not clear how this was possible. One supposition is that some ovarian tissue may have escaped the scalpel and regrown into a functioning ovary."

Old 11-26-2016, 08:43 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
White-tail deer have been studied more than any other animal on the continent excpet for perhaps drosophilia melanogaster.

conclusion from all states over many cdecades f research bu universities is that hunting is the best wildlife management tool for deer.

you can take an UNLIMITED amount of doe from sept to february in many deer management zones during with an archery license.

The problem is access to land.

The state also hinders the deer kill in exchange for extra cash and restricting zones to the 28 dollar permit for a specific zone. Makes no sense in regard to killing does. The intent is to soothe gun hunters from complaining that the archers are taking all the big bucks. Why restrict archers from taking does in other appropriate zones when the whole scam is about bucks and cash for coffers. You buy an archery license for 28 dollars to hunt from sept to the end of october. Hunting in september is not something hunters like. Meat spoils quickly in the heat, vegetation in full bloom, ticks and mosquitoes abound. does still nursing, udders full of milk. Too dam hot to be hunting.

Ask when the bucks come out from hiding and chase the does. In new that scientific question is answered when NJ demands you purchase a new archery license, called a permit. So you have to pay 28$ to take a buck in the specific zone on your permit and then if you want to take a doe, you need to purchase another 28$ permit and are restricted to the zone on your permit. then archers have to compete with all sort of special days provided to gun hunters. mixing a traditional bowhunter with swarms of gun hunters is not a good mix and diminishes the worth of archery permits.

most butcher shops charge around a hundred dollars to process your deer. Many hunters process their own deer, not so much anymore.

NJ does get a lot of northeast archers coming down to take advantage of our overpopulated deer herd.

There is an organization which takes donated venison. The hunter may pay a small fee or in some cases a subsidy is made to have the deer sliced and diced by an approved butcher shop and distributed thru Hunters for the Hungry.

Gun season begins in December.

I did my part in early November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey