Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 04:40 PM

11,362 posts, read 16,735,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Well, actually, I think that you probably mean "a lot" less (two words, as there is no such word in the English language as "alot"), but I also question whether a new structure could be built for a lesser amount. Cost overruns on new construction tend to be the norm...
We're not building Disneyworld. It just a big freakin building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 06:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
if you knew the square footage, you could compare the cost to available space for lease or sale in the area. i doubt real estate is super expensive in trenton.

$300 million could buy you a pretty nice building in a lot of places.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:42 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,694,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if you knew the square footage, you could compare the cost to available space for lease or sale in the area. i doubt real estate is super expensive in trenton.

$300 million could buy you a pretty nice building in a lot of places.

There is something to be said for "preserving history" and it's clear you are not saying it.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:03 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
We're not building Disneyworld. It just a big freakin building.
It's a big freaking OLD building, so historical preservation comes into play.

Actually, Trump did do that type of work before. They're doing the old Post Office in Washington DC. That renovation is $200 million, and then Trump will turn it into a hotel. They have a lease.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:53 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,640,701 times
christie's approval rating is around 20%.

This, along with the gas tax and threatening to end the NJ/PA tax agreement is him lashing out at the 80% who don't like him.

I expect at least one more act of retribution before he leaves office.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
There is something to be said for "preserving history" and it's clear you are not saying it.
you ever visit trenton and see the state house? i think taxpayer money is more important and i think its the obligation of government to govern not preserve old buildings.

its funny to see people say "well, this is worth it" without having any concept of whether or not $300 million is a reasonable price tag. what if they said $1 billion, would it still be worth it?

just the other day, i read in the news that nyc is buying 11 acres for $160 million for a park. apparently, the park was promised to the residents. but nobody seems to give a crap about the people who had that $160 million taken from them for 11 acres of land that they likely will never even set foot upon. its insane how people approve of so much bs government spending.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:18 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you ever visit trenton and see the state house? i think taxpayer money is more important and i think its the obligation of government to govern not preserve old buildings.

its funny to see people say "well, this is worth it" without having any concept of whether or not $300 million is a reasonable price tag. what if they said $1 billion, would it still be worth it?

just the other day, i read in the news that nyc is buying 11 acres for $160 million for a park. apparently, the park was promised to the residents. but nobody seems to give a crap about the people who had that $160 million taken from them for 11 acres of land that they likely will never even set foot upon. its insane how people approve of so much bs government spending.
No, $1 billion just about buys a new bridge. It's too much for a building.

Have not heard about the park in the city.

I think it's the obligation of the government to govern, too. But let's be real. This is NJ. Money is wasted all the time on far stupider things than historic preservation. We do have an interesting history here in NJ, so let's take care of the historical artifacts. It's not as if not using that money means it makes the schools better, or Camden gets fixed, or we get better roads.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:23 AM

23,589 posts, read 17,269,743 times
Sad that 300 mill tax payer dollars goes to a building that houses the profiteering legislators that suck our wallets dry.

CC needs to start a 'go fund me' page to rebuild the state house. No donated funds, go for the historic plaque where the building once stood.

Raze the building, put up a granite plaque noting the historic location and make a dog park out of the property.

Time for legislators to work from home districts not their own to gain perspective outside their gerrymandered districts.

Dome was refinished in 1999. Now its falling down???????

what iteration of architectural evolution is to be preserved?

Vertical Access, New Jersey State House Dome

Old 12-01-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, $1 billion just about buys a new bridge. It's too much for a building.

Have not heard about the park in the city.

I think it's the obligation of the government to govern, too. But let's be real. This is NJ. Money is wasted all the time on far stupider things than historic preservation. We do have an interesting history here in NJ, so let's take care of the historical artifacts. It's not as if not using that money means it makes the schools better, or Camden gets fixed, or we get better roads.
i am going to renovate my house, care to send me $100k?

see how many taxpayers would be ok with spending $300 million on the state house if they could opt out and keep the money that is stolen from them by government.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 12-01-2016 at 09:33 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 02:24 PM

343 posts, read 616,263 times
$300M to renovate a building that has no tax/income potential, are you fooking kidding me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey