Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 10:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
There are also those of us who don't have a desire to live elsewhere, and who have invested wisely over a 30 year period, so that we don't really have to worry about higher-than-average living expenses in NJ.

If you like where you are now living, then...more power to you. I also like where I am living, and I intend to stay.

However, I can well understand moving to a "cheaper" state if poor investment decisions did not leave you with the option of staying in NJ.
this is the 2nd time recently that i have seen moneybags mr. retriever talk about his successful investing. so spill the beans retriever, what was your investment strategy? give details. help educate people so that they can live without worrying about property taxes and above average living expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 11:22 AM

175 posts, read 223,384 times
Quote:
There are also those of us who don't have a desire to live elsewhere, and who have invested wisely over a 30 year period, so that we don't really have to worry about higher-than-average living expenses in NJ.

If you like where you are now living, then...more power to you. I also like where I am living, and I intend to stay.
If you enjoy living in a state where you get the least for your dollar and offers the least amount of freedom in the country, then more power to YOU!

Quote:
However, I can well understand moving to a "cheaper" state if poor investment decisions did not leave you with the option of staying in NJ.
Poor investment decisions? How about plain old common sense? If you grew up here and haven't lived elsewhere, it really doesn't offer much perspective for an informed comparison.

As someone who has lived in two other states in the Northeast (both of which are more affordable and offer better quality of life than NJ), it is so obvious to me that this state is a huge ripoff. NJ has the highest property tax and one of the highest income taxes in the country. Other states in the Northeast with comparable income taxes (such as Massachusetts) have significantly lower property taxes and the state with the second highest property taxes in the country (New Hampshire) doesn't tax anything else.

But never mind reality, keep on talking about that great investment you're making!

Old 01-12-2017, 03:26 PM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goeagles77 View Post
If you grew up here and haven't lived elsewhere, it really doesn't offer much perspective for an informed comparison.

Where did you get that idea?
In case you are interested, you are...wrong.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:01 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this is the 2nd time recently that i have seen moneybags mr. retriever talk about his successful investing. so spill the beans retriever, what was your investment strategy? give details. help educate people so that they can live without worrying about property taxes and above average living expenses.
I can tell you he will be happy to do just that.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:43 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:

It may come as a shock to you but many retirees who leave NJ did make good investment decisions over the years and are continuing to do so by leaving and taking their disposable income with them to invest and spend elsewhere.

The trick is to replace them with high income earners, not low income earners who don't have the means to buy into all that you say NJ has to offer.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:47 AM

401 posts, read 426,946 times
Lived in NJ for 58 years, Bergen & Warren counties, in Warren for 28 years. We retired and moved to the suburbs of Philly PA in 2015 to be near our kids and to reduce our costs. So what did we gain by moving, NJ property taxes $13k, PA $3k (we downsized from 3200 sq ft to 1600 sq ft home) car insurance NJ $1400, PA $700 (same car, coverage and insurance co.), our pension is not taxed (yea I know NJ changed that). We do not miss anything from NJ except bagels and pizza!! Life is good in retirement, work is so overrated!

Old 01-13-2017, 07:18 AM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can tell you he will be happy to do just that.
Well, I was very happy to provide my investing guide to you, but the antagonistic people in this thread shouldn't expect me to extend that courtesy to them. Hopefully you have already benefitted from my how-to primer.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:22 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Lived in NJ for 58 years, Bergen & Warren counties, in Warren for 28 years. We retired and moved to the suburbs of Philly PA in 2015 to be near our kids and to reduce our costs. So what did we gain by moving, NJ property taxes $13k, PA $3k (we downsized from 3200 sq ft to 1600 sq ft home) car insurance NJ $1400, PA $700 (same car, coverage and insurance co.), our pension is not taxed (yea I know NJ changed that). We do not miss anything from NJ except bagels and pizza!! Life is good in retirement, work is so overrated!

But you are comparing taxes between a 3200 sq foot house and 1600 sq foot house. Taxes on 1600 sq ft house in NJ would probably be anywhere between 8k and 10K depending on the town. But what is the quality of schools in your school district? How is access to employers?

Old 01-13-2017, 11:33 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Well, I was very happy to provide my investing guide to you, but the antagonistic people in this thread shouldn't expect me to extend that courtesy to them. Hopefully you have already benefitted from my how-to primer.
I am working at that. Part of my New Year goals.

And it's great to have a financial advisor session that comes with an interesting history and art tour!

No, do not throw pearls before swine, my friend. It will not be appreciated.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:35 AM

482 posts, read 729,165 times
Bought 6 months ago. Taxes went from 23k to 24k w updated millage rate. Then town told me they discovered interior improvements per the MLS photos, and we will be at 27k next year. Off to a great start.

3200 SF on .22 acres Essex County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey