Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:41 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-D View Post
Their methodology does not consider just the percentages of diversity. The grade is based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents. So if a district has people of various ethnic backgrounds, but they're all and (or all poor for the matter), that's a ding on the diversity score. Likewise, if a distinct is diverse percentage wise, but the surveys they got from people indicates certain groups were having a rough go at it socially due to bigotry or something, that would likewise ding the score.

I'll say it again, if towns like Milburn and Basking Ridge got good diversity scores, it obviously ain't that hard a standard. So what kinda towns are some of you living in that can't meet such an easy metric?
I am in Livingston. I guess it depends on what you call good. Millburn got a B-, just like Livingston. If my kid got a B-, I wouldn't be too happy. I don't think that many of the top 10 schools got in the A range, though they all got A+ in everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 01:27 PM

789 posts, read 702,611 times
Quote:
Their methodology does not consider just the percentages of diversity. The grade is based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents. So if a district has people of various ethnic backgrounds, but they're all and (or all poor for the matter), that's a ding on the diversity score. Likewise, if a distinct is diverse percentage wise, but the surveys they got from people indicates certain groups were having a rough go at it socially due to bigotry or something, that would likewise ding the score.

I'll say it again, if towns like Milburn and Basking Ridge got good diversity scores, it obviously ain't that hard a standard. So what kinda towns are some of you living in that can't meet such an easy metric?
Millburn got a B-, where I come from that is considered fair, not good.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:12 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times
Quote:

If the school you grew up was busing in black kids, it's probably because it was being desegregated pursuant to federal law. Even though segregation wasn't the law in the north, there were many de facto instances of it that the feds delt with. As to why the busing never went the other way, I hope you surely don't think just black people live in improvised inner cities. As the majority ethnic group, there are far more poor white people in America than any other group. So those areas are already plenty diverse.
I can assure you we're not talking about poor white people here.
The school district I'm referring to is about 99% Black and Hispanic. They were bussing the black kids out and into the white suburban schools, but I have never heard of bussing white kids into black/hispanic school districts...shouldn't they be "diverse" too?
Maybe that is the root of some of the racial issues we have in this country. Think about all the minorities from inner cities that never have any exposure to white culture. It's a 2-way street.

Last edited by ansky; 01-19-2017 at 02:49 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 03:07 PM

229 posts, read 251,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Millburn got a B-, where I come from that is considered fair, not good.
And yet it got a top overall ranking. So much for the assertion that diversity scores are a huge impact on these rankings.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I am in Livingston. I guess it depends on what you call good. Millburn got a B-, just like Livingston. If my kid got a B-, I wouldn't be too happy. I don't think that many of the top 10 schools got in the A range, though they all got A+ in everything else.
I'm in Rutherford and we got a B+. And I'm very happy with the level of socioeconomic diversity in my town that I've observed. So I'd say that's a pretty good grade. I'd actually love to know what a B- town looks like by comparison. You would think there's not much distinction between a B+ and B-, but I highly doubt Millburn is anywhere near as socioeconomically diverse as Rutherford.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:20 PM

789 posts, read 702,611 times
Quote:
And yet it got a top overall ranking. So much for the assertion that diversity scores are a huge impact on these rankings.
Why move the goalpost? Your original point was that Millburn had a GOOD diversity score and well if Millburn is diverse well then how could a town be any less diverse? Now, it doesnt have an impact? In fact, it DOES have an impact, no one said it had a HUGE impact.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I can assure you we're not talking about poor white people here.
The school district I'm referring to is about 99% Black and Hispanic. They were bussing the black kids out and into the white suburban schools, but I have never heard of bussing white kids into black/hispanic school districts...shouldn't they be "diverse" too?
Maybe that is the root of some of the racial issues we have in this country. Think about all the minorities from inner cities that never have any exposure to white culture. It's a 2-way street.
It's not a two way street by any measure of the imagination. People of color are exposed to white culture in The U.S. whether they like it or not no matter where they live. That's why most models on magazine covers are white. That's why Hollywood productions are overwhelmingly white. That's why "skin tone" makeup and band-aids match white skin by default as if there are no other skin tones. Insufficient exposure to white culture is not the reason for these issues in this country. The history of some really bad policies - Slavery, Jim Crow, and Redlining, etc., and the continued denial of the enduring consequences of this history is the reason.

The fact that separate facilities for blacks and other minorities were chronically underfunded and of lesser quality (by design, not happenstance mind you) is why the busing only goes one way my friend. The idea is to give those who were systematically and purposefully screwed the same chance as the majority. Not the other way around. So that's why the courts mandate busing in one direction. If you want a two way street, then both sides of that street need to be equal.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Why move the goalpost? Your original point was that Millburn had a GOOD diversity score and well if Millburn is diverse well then how could a town be any less diverse? Now, it doesnt have an impact? In fact, it DOES have an impact, no one said it had a HUGE impact.
I'm not moving the goalpost. I'm the one who said I thought a B score was fine. You're the one arguing it wasn't - I'm not now agreeing with your position. I'm just responding that if a B- is bad, and you guys are complaining that bad diversity scores hurt certain district's ranking, then how did some districts with supposedly bad diversity scores rank so high?

Old 01-19-2017, 03:57 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,631,840 times
Quote:
I'm in Rutherford and we got a B+. And I'm very happy with the level of socioeconomic diversity in my town that I've observed. So I'd say that's a pretty good grade. I'd actually love to know what a B- town looks like by comparison. You would think there's not much distinction between a B+ and B-, but I highly doubt Millburn is anywhere near as socioeconomically diverse as Rutherford.

Make you wonder what figures were used to define a community as socioeconomically diverse. There are couple of multi-billionaires in both Livingston and Short Hills/Millburn. Did they use average income or median?

Meet the 5 N.J. men on Forbes 400 richest people in U.S. list | NJ.com

Old 01-19-2017, 06:31 PM

968 posts, read 1,140,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't think anyone is saying diversity is not important, but it's not as important (or more important) than test scores and school curriculum. I grew up in an affluent community that was 99% white. We had 3 black kids in my class...I can still remember their names 25 years later. Over the years I have lived in Jersey City and worked in NYC (obviously very diverse places) and I have never had any issues adjusting to the diversity. It was the challenging teachers I had and the school curriculum that prepared me for a good college education that have made me successful today.
Care to say what school district this is? And how is it regarded today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey