Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 10:52 AM

625 posts, read 797,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I am good at navigating the more arcane features of the MLS system to get statistics that are not readily available. So I can pull the closed sales in a given neighborhood if there are enough sales for the data to have some meaning. I don't think these statistics are available anywhere else that I know of. In fact, most agents in the MLS are not that good at getting real data out of the system. It's not part of our training, and the particular MLS system we use is not that great for research. But it can be done with customized spreadsheets if someone wants to take the time.
Ahh ok. I have access to the MLS but like you said their system is arcane. I'll browse around and try to build out some spreadsheets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 11:58 AM

380 posts, read 607,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
6) Millburn Twp (Short Hills) continues to be one of the priciest areas to live in the state. Saddle River in Bergen County was a bit higher with a median of $1,448,000, but other than Alpine that's probably it. Alpine's median for 2016 was $1,700,000, but there were only 10 sales.

7) Essex Fells has an unusually low sale-to-list ratio of 88.2%, yet still appreciated strongly. That is probably because every house in E.F. is unique. Unique homes are difficult to price accurately. Sellers are typically a bit too optimistic in neighborhoods where homes are have no uniformity in terms of architecture, lot size, etc. Everyone thinks they have that "special" home that just cannot be duplicated. Buyers beg to disagree
Alpine and Saddle River are probably the only towns in NJ more expensive than Milburn/Short Hills. However, Id also say they are similar to Essex Fells in the sense they are small towns with unique homes, hence hard to price. Alpine and SR homes range from "starters" around a million to eight figure mega estates.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:20 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
WOW at Irvington. I know it's Irvington but... wow.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:56 PM

229 posts, read 251,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc400 View Post
Alpine and Saddle River are probably the only towns in NJ more expensive than Milburn/Short Hills. However, Id also say they are similar to Essex Fells in the sense they are small towns with unique homes, hence hard to price. Alpine and SR homes range from "starters" around a million to eight figure mega estates.
I would have thought that Rumson is right there with Saddle River and Alpine as being pricer than Short Hills.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:27 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-D View Post
I would have thought that Rumson is right there with Saddle River and Alpine as being pricer than Short Hills.
Close but not quite. I appraised a $6,000,000 waterfront mansion in Rumson last summer. At the time, the median home sale price in Rumson was $1,080,000. So that would put it just behind Millburn-Short Hills. They are close enough though that they probably flip-flop from time to time depending upon what is selling.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:15 PM

115 posts, read 146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
Third world country, really? Ferry Street? OK - maybe he doesn't leave NJ very much. I'll take the restaurants and bakeries on Ferry Street any day over the crap I have by my job here in Harding.

You can blame the democrats of NJ for making Newark a sanctuary city and segregating the Hispanic community all into once section. The demographics are gradually changing. Those Hispanics use to rent apartments for $700-$1500. Those rentals are now $1200 - $2200. They are moving to Kearny, Belleville and Elizabeth.
Agreed. Ironbound is a very hot spot (as is downtown Newark). Especially with the development occurring in both Harrison and downtown. The fact that you are (depending on where you reside) within a 5 - 20 minute walk to a Path Station in the Ironbound... and, an 18 - 22 minute train commute into WTC is definitely something not to bet against.

In another thread, I posted a slideshow from a presentation about all of the developments that will be happening in the Ironbound: https://www.facebook.com/raisenewark...type=3&theater

I just came back from spending several months in developing countries, and anyone who would liken the Ironbound to a developing country has definitely NOT been to one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey