Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 23,273 times

Advertisements

I found a very nice home in the Troy Building of Union City and other homes in Weehawken and Hoboken - my appointments to see them will start next week. Budget is around $300,000 but it is flexible (no mortgage though). I need a spacious one bedroom so it seems it matches my budget. I didn't consider other Union City homes because with all respect I am not fond of the excessively latino/ethnic vibe (not for an absurd racial prejudice but simply because most of their districts don't look clean and in good conditions).

I considered taking the ferry to NYC to avoid possible rush hour crowd on the tunnel and for the evening I'll probably go out with my car to have dinner/hang out. Is it reasonable for y'all?
I also happen to love walking... is it possible to walk from Weehawken to Hoboken comfortably? I mean it looks like it's possible due to its geography.

For the "lack of activities" I am not worried, as also my gym is in Nyc, I'll mostly just sleep there. I always lived slightly "out" of my native city's center, so it's not like 10/20 min far from work/gym/park/whatever scares me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 02:28 PM

245 posts, read 311,447 times
Fyi, Weehawken has the best parking situation out of the 3. Weehawken doesn't have street cleaning days so you don't have to move your car randomly. It's also the easiest place to find parking. Especially if you're right off of Blvd East right near King Street or Duer Place. If you get closer to Union City, it's much tougher, but still better than the rest.

If you're at the bottom of the cliff right near the Hoboken border (the "shades") then it's like a whole different world: Some locals in more traditional homes that have been there for decades. Not sure what the mass transit situation is like there either. They might have gotten flooded like Hoboken did during Hurricane Sandy too.

If we had more money we would have lived in Hoboken though. It's definitely the coolest place in NJ and has a great commute to BOTH midtown and downtown because the Path train splits off either way. But if you know for sure that you'll spend almost all of you're waking hours in Midtown anyway then definitely save the money and go with Weehawken. I really wouldn't recommend Union City at all. I think that long term the other two towns will carry their name recognition better and you'll be able to re-sell at a higher price.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:17 PM

198 posts, read 530,356 times
Driving around Hoboken feels very claustrophobic especially with so many cars double parked. It takes getting used to. Also parking is a nightmare.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,045 times
I lived in Weehaken for a few years about 10 years ago. If you live in the part of town on the cliff, north of the tunnel, between Park Ave and Boulevard East, those NJT boulevard east busses run 24/7... even weekdays late nights are every hour. And the jitney is frequent too. No need for bus schedules except late night. Rush hour commute is usually no more than 20 min., less when no traffic, and rarely that tie up that takes longer. Ferry is not economical. If you live on waterfront, take bus or light rail to path. Try to get an apartment on blvd east.... million dollar views.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:23 PM

15 posts, read 25,518 times
Check out North Bergen! Super underrated super low on crime actually one of the lower crime rates ! we just moved near 51st St and Tonnelle and my husband commutes to NYC every day for work he works near the world trade... his commute is between 35-40 minutes .

Light Rail: 2 minute walk to Tonnelle and 51 st Light Rail he takes that 15-20 minutes to Hoboken then from there takes the Path in to NYC... (Monthly Fee for passes...: $90.00 path $70.00 Light Rail)

Bus Option: 3 minutes walk to 49th St and Tonnelle Ave bus stop 15-19 minutes no traffic or 30-35 minutes during rush hour ($5.75 one way ride... not sure how much monthly pass is.. )

Car: 16 Minute car ride with no traffic 30-40 minute during Rush hour ($15.00 Toll)

Lyft, Uber, Taxi service through your smart phone would be about 2-6 minute wait ($25-$45 depending)

Ferry from Port Imperial Weehawken is also available 15 minute commute on the same light rail .. not sure of the cost though...

Hope this helps! Let me know if you want our realtors number I think he has 2-3 more apartments available near our street or area that would be the same type of commute.. oh and we have a garage and the other apt available I saw them when I was looking around also have garage access included!! I pay $2,800but he has some more places for like $2,000-$2,500
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey