Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:27 PM

19 posts, read 41,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasirpanjang View Post
My spouse works at 3 Times Square...Thomson Reuters. Is this the company you will be working at?

He takes the Midtown Direct train into Penn Station and walks up 7th Avenue to the office (although last night the weather was mild so he ran down by the river to the WTC, took the PATH train to Hoboken and then a NJ Transit train to our town.
Yes, that's correct at Thomson Reuters.

What's his door to door commute? How do you like living in Hoboken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 04:20 PM

19 posts, read 41,307 times
Thank you everyone. Is Weehawken (Willow Ave., 9th street) an option? It seems it's a short bus ride to Times Square. Are buses dependable for the work commute?

Old 03-11-2017, 06:16 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,636,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alishagizri View Post
Thank you everyone. Is Weehawken (Willow Ave., 9th street) an option? It seems it's a short bus ride to Times Square. Are buses dependable for the work commute?
9th and Willow is Hoboken, not Weehawken. Although it's right on the border. 15th and Willow would be considered Weehawken, I believe. Anyhow, that would be considered uptown Hoboken. Whether Weehawken or Hoboken, the commute to Times Square doesn't get much better. Door to door will likely be within 30 minutes.. as long as you start walking like a New Yorker

Old 03-12-2017, 08:05 PM

15 posts, read 25,505 times
Hey so we just moved to North Bergen and we love it!! My Husband works near world trade and his commute is 35-40 minutes.. If you work at time square your commute would be shorter.. He Takes the Tonnelle and 51st St light rail in north Bergen, NJ to Hoboken which is 15-20 minutes and then the Path right in to the City ... You could also take a bus from 2 blocks away in front of 49th St and Tonnelle Ave in North Bergen NJ !. Its a great commute ad super low on the crime rate so you wouldn't have to worry about being in a sketchy area... With a monthly budget of $2,500 you can def find something !!We just moved to a brand new construction garage, back yard 3 bed rooms 3 bathrooms 2 floors for $2,800!! They also have smaller apartments for $2,500 which I believe are 2-3 bedroom 2 bath living room open kitchen and great closet space.. so its right up your ally.. the nice thing about it is that Target, Walmart, home depot and a bunch of great stores are literally either 1 bus away on the 83 or 127 bus which you could catch 2 blocks away on 49th and Tonnelle Ave in North Bergen, NJ... Here are a couple of cool things to do in the area with in an easy commute you could take the light rail 15 minutes to Hoboken where there are a lot of fun things to do like night life, bars , etc or you can take the light rail to weehawken where you can walk along and see the NYC sky line.. you can also take the light rail to Bergenline ave for great eateries and shopping.. you can take the light rail o Newport mal in jersey city , Jersey city alone has tons of street fairs and fun things to do.. so trust me you'd have tons to do ... everything is between 15-30 min commute !! Hope this helps.. let me know if you need my realtors info they have 3 apts available I think at that price.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:46 AM

565 posts, read 722,391 times
Did you mean Willow and 19th? If so, it's a weird area--not bad at all, just not much to do within walking distance. But it IS the very last stop on the NJ side before the Lincoln tunnel and into the city to PA. Buses are completely reliable, but in rush hour some buses may be full and not taking passengers since you would be getting on at the last stop. But even so, during rush hour there are 2-3 buses every 5 minutes....a steady stream. The bus stop is right in front of the gas station there on the corner. Right at that corner, there's a bakery (cakes...by appt only, not open to the public), a strip club, a thai restaurant, a wooden flooring store, and a re-upholstery shop. And a lumber store on the opposite side....residential behind in a small area known as the Weehawken flats (maybe? can't remember the name). That's all I mean by weird area. You will have a long walk to a grocery store (of course, you can drive or uber), and I guess you would be going into Hoboken for most restaurants/shopping/nightlife.

At your budget, I would personally look elsewhere as a single person, but that's just me. I value being able to walk places.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:11 PM

53 posts, read 71,340 times
Quote:
Yes, that's correct at Thomson Reuters.

What's his door to door commute? How do you like living in Hoboken?
We don't live in Hoboken! (I do have friends who live in Hoboken (Garden St) though and they love it there.....so much to do and a very quick and easy commute to Mid Town.

We live in the suburbs because we had to find a good school district for our son, so live in a town further west on the Midtown Direct. We would happily move to Hoboken now that our son is a young adult but the 6% realtors commission is insane in the US. We have been on expat postings in other countries with Thomson Reuters (we're originally from the UK) and the next time we relocate we are selling up and will rent in future!

Old 03-14-2017, 10:34 AM

274 posts, read 297,545 times
Depending on how much you'll make, the NYC income tax could take a big hit. That has to factor into any equation when deciding to rent east or west of the Hudson.

Look at Manhattan, but also look at Hoboken or Jersey City. You could get a two-bedroom in a brand new building in Jersey City next to the PATH to midtown or the 125 bus to the Port Authority. A one-bedroom in a luxury building can be had for less.

These ones are large luxury complexes that just opened up and range around 2000 for 1 bedroom:

Urby Jersey City is a new rental community in Jersey City, New Jersey. - by Exchange Place PATH and Harborside light rail stop
50 Columbus | Luxury Apartments in Jersey City, NJ - by Grove Street PATH
Journal Squared - Brand new luxury apartment rentals in Journal Square, Jersey City, NJ - by Journal Square PATH

Old 03-20-2017, 10:58 AM

398 posts, read 984,319 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a job offer in NYC. I will be working at 3 Times Square. I have only been to NYC once. I'm interested in finding a 1-BR to rent in NJ that is a short commute, relatively safe, and relatively affordable (~2,500 per month).

What are some of the neighborhoods I should look into and what is the budget I should have in mind? Please mention the commute times too.

Thank you so much.
Avalon at North Bergen. There's a bus stop right in front of the building that takes you to midtown NY. It is within your price range and a good place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey