Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 02:26 PM

380 posts, read 607,290 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's about race, but rather about class. I think Northern NJ has more economic inequality than the southern part of the state, combine this with the fact that blacks on average are poorer than whites, and it seems segregated to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 03:27 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Just a friendly book recommendation (if you haven't already read it); James Gigantino's Ragged Road to Abolition is the current standard work on slavery and abolition in NJ. Basically argues that NJ resisted wholesale abolition because the state was so devastated by the Revolutionary War that no one in power wanted to shake things up, socially. Your point about Newark and its support for the Slave South is also important, beyond just selling shoes in the South, many northern industries also invested their profits in southern plantations and slave markets since these were booming sectors in the 1840s and 1850s. You really could not have had the birth of an industrial north without a slave south.
No, I haven't read that, so thank you for the recommendation!

Old 03-30-2017, 03:52 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc400 View Post
I don't think it's about race, but rather about class. I think Northern NJ has more economic inequality than the southern part of the state, combine this with the fact that blacks on average are poorer than whites, and it seems segregated to you.
Yup, that's a solid part of it... the other part is that a lot of the limousine liberals are full of ...

I had family live in Florida for many years, and spent quite a bit of time down there. While I wouldn't trade NJ for Florida in any corner of the multiverse, there was far more integration down there than in NJ. The schools were better integrated, and there were far more interracial couples out and about.

For all the progressive talk, NJ is extremely hypersegregated, and, sadly, there isn't much desire to address the problem.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
As I have traveled throughout the state I noticed one thing. Blacks and whites are more integrated in South Jersey than in North Jersey. When I was in Burlington I saw whites and blacks interacting. I even saw whites and blacks interacting in Camden. However when I went to South Orange and Montclair, towns that are well known for their diversity, I never seen them interacting. In these towns, whites were with whites and blacks were with blacks. Why is this so?
Considering Montclair has the highest rating for interracial families in the country, I suspect your observations are just plain old wrong.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:37 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Yup, that's a solid part of it... the other part is that a lot of the limousine liberals are full of ...

I had family live in Florida for many years, and spent quite a bit of time down there. While I wouldn't trade NJ for Florida in any corner of the multiverse, there was far more integration down there than in NJ. The schools were better integrated, and there were far more interracial couples out and about.

For all the progressive talk, NJ is extremely hypersegregated, and, sadly, there isn't much desire to address the problem.
Is it a problem? Is it something that needs to be addressed?

I think diversity is fine. I also think lack of diversity is fine too, as long as it happens naturally and there is no discrimination involved, which I think is the case in most of Northern NJ.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:08 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Is it a problem? Is it something that needs to be addressed?

I think diversity is fine. I also think lack of diversity is fine too, as long as it happens naturally and there is no discrimination involved, which I think is the case in most of Northern NJ.
C'mon... North Jersey has a massive history of discrimination in housing and education. Ever read the story about how Cory Booker's parents were fought every step of the way when trying to buy their house in Harrington Park? Teaneck, arguably one of the most diverse towns and school districts in the state (although the schools are getting less diverse by the day with all of the white flight), was the first school district to voluntarily integrate its schools in 1964. 1964!!! Yes, it has gotten better, but it's still pretty bad, especially in the schools (take it from someone who knows first-hand).

And white flight, gerrymandering, redlining, and the institutional denying of equal access to educational and economic opportunities over a period of centuries are hardly what I would call "natural" processes...

Old 03-30-2017, 06:14 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
C'mon... North Jersey has a massive history of discrimination in housing and education. Ever read the story about how Cory Booker's parents were fought every step of the way when trying to buy their house in Harrington Park? Teaneck, arguably one of the most diverse towns and school districts in the state (although the schools are getting less diverse by the day with all of the white flight), was the first school district to voluntarily integrate its schools in 1964. 1964!!! Yes, it has gotten better, but it's still pretty bad, especially in the schools (take it from someone who knows first-hand).

And white flight, gerrymandering, redlining, and the institutional denying of equal access to educational and economic opportunities over a period of centuries are hardly what I would call "natural" processes...
I know about all of that, but that is ancient history. Today, people of color buy homes in the best neighborhoods in Northern NJ and are treated just like everybody else. The neighborhoods remain somewhat segregated for financial reasons, but as long as you have enough money for the house and the property taxes, people don't care what color you are. This is 2017, not 1964.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:19 PM

208 posts, read 170,313 times
Good observation OP!
I've lived in cities such as Paris and NYC, and saw people mixing no problems. Growing up I mingled with people that were every color of the rainbow. I lived in Northern NJ for 4 years, and definetely noticed the segregation: it seemed like people just hang out in cliques of people just like them, neighborhoods with only whites, only italians, only blacks, only hispanics etc. are a dime a dozen...there are a few places like Montclair which are more mixed and open-minded, but there's lots of work to be done for better integration in Northern NJ..

Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
In the 90s, there was a lawsuit against a real estate agency steering black people away from buying in Wyckoff. A professional couple, lawyer and doctor, were told there were no suitable properties and told to look in other towns. They reported it to I forget which agency, who sent in a fake white couple with the same credentials and finances. The agency had plenty of houses to show them in Wyckoff. I'm not sure that would still happen 20 years later, but change goes slowly.

Where I am in Monmouth County, it is very mixed. I am white, to my left is a black family, to my right, Malaysians, on the other side of them, a mixed Asian/Caucasian couple and their kids. My hometown in Bergen County is still very white.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:05 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In the 90s, there was a lawsuit against a real estate agency steering black people away from buying in Wyckoff. A professional couple, lawyer and doctor, were told there were no suitable properties and told to look in other towns. They reported it to I forget which agency, who sent in a fake white couple with the same credentials and finances. The agency had plenty of houses to show them in Wyckoff.
The exact same situation took place in Clark, around the same time. The minority population of Clark remains very low in comparison to all of the surrounding towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey