Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:50 PM

518 posts, read 1,793,229 times

Advertisements

For those living in NJ and dreaming of moving out to another state, where would you go? And why aren't you doing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 08:12 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
For those living in NJ and dreaming of moving out to another state, where would you go? And why aren't you doing it?
I'd like to move by the seashore in Delaware. But I'm hesitant about the move because I do like it where I live in Jersey. The only complaint here is like everyones, high taxes and cost of living. I would be nervous to move to the coastal areas of the Carolinas because when you listen to the so called experts they say that area is due for a big hurricane. It's hard to just pack up and leave as over the years I probably made several hundred friends and acquantances(spell?). Lot's of family here. We will see what happens but in the distant future it's a shame as are children better make a salary in the 6 figures just to survive.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:22 PM

518 posts, read 1,793,229 times
Or when they grow up they will not be able to afford to live here and they will make the moves that we didn't have the courage to make.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:51 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,737,804 times
I desperately wanted to move to coastal NC, but my SO wanted to stay in the area, closer to his family. We settled on Cape May County, and I am happy with that decision. I still want to move to NC one day, but in the meantime I'm really happy here. I have the bay!!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:04 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times
Family is important and it's the only reason why I am here. We live 3 miles from my sister's family, parents and sister in law's family!!!! And that's three separate households! If I could just pick them all up and move them to Vermont I would in a minute.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:47 AM

416 posts, read 1,714,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
I am going eventually. Why haven't I gone yet? A couple reasons: (1) As long as I'm married, at least, and haven't chanced upon riches, I'm probably not going to be going anywhere without either my wife or I having at least one employment commitment in the new location first; I'd take that chance (and have in the past), but my wife wouldn't, (2) (closely related but different) We can't afford to move yet, and (3) It took some time to decide where the best target location(s) would be given the financial and other logistical realities of our situation.

If I had an unlimited, or at least a very large amount of money, I'd have a bunch of different houses, not only in different states, but in different countries, too (or possibly, just travel most of the time). There are many places in the US that I love, including Manhattan. Most of the places very high on the list for me are in the western US--Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, etc. (By the way, I found out I love the west because I spent a few years on the road out there with a club band--we were on the road about 11 months per year, playing places a week or two at a time). But I can't live every place that I love. We were trying to pick two and figure out how we could live in those two different locations, going back and forth each year, but given our current opportunities, we couldn't think of a way that that wouldn't be a struggle, and my wife is not willing to do (well, and doesn't think she's capable of doing) a lot of different things for work--for example, if you're willing to do temp jobs, and you pick two locations where they're easily available (and Manhattan is certainly one), it would be easy to move around. But my wife has worked for almost 30 years in the same field, and she's almost always made decent money in it. I would have confidence about it and wouldn't be scared to try it because I've worked in more fields at more jobs than I can remember, often doing three or more completely different things at the same time; unfortunately, none of them have threatened to make me rich, but I've survived just fine and had a lot of fun while avoiding too much stress and angst.

So we tried to come to some compromise between all the things we want, and pick a place that's maybe not perfect, but ranks fairly high on all the criteria, and that ended up being Southern Nevada. However, where we actually end up is going to depend on employment. We seem to have a couple possibilities, including my wife kinda transferring for her current company, that might land us in a different location, but one that scores higher on all the criteria for living in a single place than the metro NYC area does (and certainly than the rest of Jersey does). If those do not pan out, then we'll continue hunting for Southern Nevada employment.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 PM

46 posts, read 175,382 times
I think I'd end up in Colorado. We haven't done it because of employment, culture shock, and the fact that 90% of our immediate and extended family is still in NJ...even though most of us complain about NJ we still love it!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,338,020 times
I would move to Montreal

Great Food, Cool cityscape, not that far from NJ or NYC

Old 02-17-2008, 09:56 PM

531 posts, read 2,150,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
I would move to Montreal

Great Food, Cool cityscape, not that far from NJ or NYC
That's an interesting response. Montreal really is very nice! Way nicer than any American city I've seen.

But the winters are cold. Very cold.

I would imagine that moving to Montreal would mean jumping through multiple immigration hoops.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:03 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times
You need to shell out a few thousand bucks, get a job work a few years, then become a resident. I do not think it's a big deal at all. Best way would be to find someone who owns a business in Canada. I too would move to Canada, but my wife hates cold. And again the family thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey