Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:06 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times

Advertisements

I had a crazy neighbor throw a tempertantrum at me when I was a child drawing on the street sidewalks by someone's house. It still irks me go this day, I recommend drawing more in front of their house. Its also not illegal to be racist so its just something to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 04:46 AM

40 posts, read 53,469 times
I suggest you get a security camera as two incidents of violence/vandalism is more than enough to be worried -- especially the rock thrown.

You also have the right to video tape or audio tape anyone you want in public (I'm not a lawyer but that's my understanding). Let him call the cops next time.

You should also consider moving to an area you feel inclusive.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:04 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
This isn't an excuse for what the neighbor said. At all.

But people go NUTS when they think you are on their property
We just put up a fence and literally every neighbor lost their marbles thinking we were encroaching. They went down to the town, told lies, had the town coming out

Now you know this guy is a nut, you can stay away from his property

Old 06-13-2017, 07:34 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindabrown View Post
He made some racist comments also. He also tried to threaten us like you don't know the rules in this country, your religion allow kids to play kids in neighbors area like that.

What racist comments did he make? If he didn't make a scene, would you have stopped your child from doing what he was doing? I think not.

A lot of people cry racism as soon as they are confronted or criticized, I don't think this was the case here.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:19 AM

414 posts, read 359,636 times
Was the neighbor criticizing your culture as a whole, or just your parenting style? Obviously criticizing a culture / race as a whole is not ok. However, I have been that neighbor that was cranky about neighborhood children drawing with chalk on my driveway (town home so it wasn't a truly separate driveway) and leaving toys in front of my house. By that point my neighborhood was a majority Indian and we were the outsiders. I wouldn't be surprised if my neighbors thought I was racist even though nothing I said would indicate that. If the neighbors got to know us they would have learned we have many Indian friends - friends we've celebrated weddings and children's birthdays with, friends who we've been through thick and thin with and a friend who tapped into her community contacts to find a buyer for our home without a realtor which saved us quite a bit of money. I just didn't want chalk on my driveway or toys left in front of my house. I adhere to MLK's philosophy of judging people by character, not race.

Is this the only time your neighbor has been rude, or have there been earlier issues, such as the neighbor getting annoyed at your family about parking which apparently is notorious in Bayonne. If the guy is a hateful old crank then there is no condoning his behavior and mentioning his "connections" is lame, but there are two sides to every story.

Last edited by Cubicle Dweller; 06-13-2017 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-13-2017, 10:54 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Chalk? Seriously? This guy sounds like he has his tennis shoes tied a little too tightly.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:03 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
This isn't an excuse for what the neighbor said. At all.
We don't know what the neighbor said...but anything other than, "Hey, keep your kid on your section of sidewalk/driveway" wasn't necessary.

Quote:
But people go NUTS when they think you are on their property
We just put up a fence and literally every neighbor lost their marbles thinking we were encroaching. They went down to the town, told lies, had the town coming out
Sure do.

All you needed was a survey to prove that you were within your property lines, I hope?

Long story short? We put up a fence about 10 years ago & expanded the width of our driveway. ON TO OUR NEIGHBOR'S PROPERTY! And to add insult to injury? We had asked them to move landscaping (a few shrubs while they were having them planted) and then their electric fence back - b/c according to our property markers? They were on our property & we were thinking of selling & didn't want any issues. That's how we explained it to them & we were nothing but honest. They obliged.

3 years ago (we decided to stay) & after living in the house with the same next door neighbors for 15 years we had an addition put on. Had a survey done. Found out those property markers were NOT property markers. Had something to do with lining up the driveway to the street (cul-du-sac).

We were more than horrified.

We told our neighbor's what we found out, they told us not to worry about it. We moved the fence & cut back the driveway. Gave them a very nice gift at Christmas.

But we've been friendly with them since day one. They go on vacation? We take their garbage/recycling out. Pick up the spam flyers off of their front door/end of their driveway. The parents have been away and a kid has locked themselves out of the house (took the dog for a walk or locked keys in the car), mom had a contractor over and he locked the door behind him while she was outside with the dog...always end up at my house.

So we're good, thankfully. No hard feelings. First thing they told us when we moved in (they are about 10 years older than we are) is that if we ever needed anything, to knock on their door. We offered the same.

Quote:
Now you know this guy is a nut, you can stay away from his property
Total nut job.

Have one nut job across the street and one house over. The stories I could tell....

Old 06-13-2017, 11:43 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Chalk? Seriously? This guy sounds like he has his tennis shoes tied a little too tightly.
I took a Business Law class in college.

The case studies were all over the spectrum - from civil trespassing to big business law suits.

You can dig a hole in your backyard, someone can trespass on your property, step in the hole & break a leg/ankle or worse and YOU will get sued & lose.

Someone's kid is busy going all Picasso on your driveway/property & you have no expectation, as you back your car out of your driveway, that a kid will be there, trespassing? You run that kid over? You are screwed.

I don't understand parents who let their kids annoy others. Why do they want their kid to be a menace? Keep your kid and her/his chalk & paint & sunshine & rainbows on YOUR property.

That's just common sense, when it comes to parenting, to begin with. Especially if you have your own driveway & front of the house/residence sidewalk & driveway for your kid to go at it.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:16 AM

414 posts, read 359,636 times
Quote:

Someone's kid is busy going all Picasso on your driveway/property & you have no expectation, as you back your car out of your driveway, that a kid will be there, trespassing? You run that kid over? You are screwed.

I don't understand parents who let their kids annoy others. Why do they want their kid to be a menace? Keep your kid and her/his chalk & paint & sunshine & rainbows on YOUR property.

That's just common sense, when it comes to parenting, to begin with. Especially if you have your own driveway & front of the house/residence sidewalk & driveway for your kid to go at it.
Accidentally running over a neighbor's child was a HUGE concern of mine in my previous neighborhood and it nearly happened a few times. It is a matter of time before a serious incident occurs there. It was a town home community without long private driveways, but there were plenty of grassy areas appropriate for playing. My husband and I lectured at least three neighbors to keep an eye on their kids for the safety of their own children and we were met with blank stares. It got to the point where I would direct my husband out of the driveway during prime play time in summer evenings when 20-30 kids would be on their bikes near our house to ensure we wouldn't hit a kid.

It's entirely possible the OP's neighbor is a jerk and was out of line and if she feels threatened then by all means set up a camera as it is within her rights especially as the cops can't do much without solid evidence. I understand the neighbor's perspective, though.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:47 AM

34 posts, read 31,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindabrown View Post
Hi we are Hindu originally from India...

My son 7 years was playing outside. and while playing he went to neighbors driveway+sidewalk
and started playing with chalk. ..
you are not in India any more, you should educate your son..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: