Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 12:34 PM

68 posts, read 86,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Personally I see zero appeal for retirement in the mid-atlantic. If you enjoy hot summers, and cold winters on a 1/5 acre yard with no views and nothing to do except a few strip malls and a couple chain restaurants then go for it! Its seems like a great place to spend your golden years miserably.
What I see is no lawn mowing, no snow shoveling, no maintenance headaches on a larger property than we had in NJ. It's not much hotter in the summer, but a lot warmer winters. We have a community pool, snack bar, gym and plenty of classes from Zumba to painting & wine tasting for my wife to enjoy. We have a bunch of restaurants nearby, and a short drive to Wilmington riverfront, craft breweries and beaches. I'm looking forward to kayaking and scuba diving myself.

Five or ten years ago I would have liked a secluded lakefront with more land and away from neighbors. These days we're looking for the social amenities of an 'active adults' community.

Everyone's preferences vary, even the same people over time. The best advice I can give is to visit many places and go for what feels right and makes you happy. If it's not for you, cross it off your list and move on.

It might be more helpful to the OP if you named somewhere that does appeal to you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 11:29 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,290,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
Hi my kids are done with education. I am retired and looking to move to lower my payments. I do like the east coast (except Flordia). Where are most of the people relocating too. I was looking at Ocean View Delaware in a 55+ gated community with clubhouse pool etc. What are the pros and Cons. Any help would be great.
Thank you
You should do the math first. Do you own a home? You are going to give away 6% of its value to the realtors. Then the cost of the move, about $11K. How many years will it be for you to break-even on this move for the carrot at the end of the stick for the promise of it being a lower cost elsewhere?

Old 07-11-2017, 03:32 AM

862 posts, read 977,536 times
Delaware has a relocation tax, 3% of house price, just something to consider.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:35 PM

34 posts, read 53,682 times
In my personal opinion, you should definitely move to Southern Vermont! South Orange is my number one favorite town in New Jersey but I still like Southern Vermont way better than any place in New Jersey. As a matter of fact just this past weekend, I went over there to a wedding, the top of a mountain, a hotel, a few restaurants and to someone's house. I was actually very sad when I had to leave because it was the best place that I ever went to in my life!

Old 07-11-2017, 04:38 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,259,148 times
I agree w Vermont- the cities are great and I would love to retire to Burlington for example. I also love Philadelphia. Would much prefer city life with great medical care and lots to do as I age. Add in a college town with smart people, lectures, concerts and good restaurants and I'd be happy. To each his own.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:42 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I agree w Vermont- the cities are great and I would love to retire to Burlington for example. I also love Philadelphia. Would much prefer city life with great medical care and lots to do as I age. Add in a college town with smart people, lectures, concerts and good restaurants and I'd be happy. To each his own.
+1
Burlington, VT is one of my favorite places, but the length and the severity of their winters are both a bit of a negative factor for me.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:59 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
You should do the math first. Do you own a home? You are going to give away 6% of its value to the realtors. Then the cost of the move, about $11K. How many years will it be for you to break-even on this move for the carrot at the end of the stick for the promise of it being a lower cost elsewhere?
It depends in large part on what the OP's property taxes are in NJ. It's not unusual to pay 12-20K in NJ and let's face it, they will never, ever go down.

Same with income taxes to a lesser degree.

The state's financial condition can't afford to give the middle/upper middle classes any real tax break. That's where the money is.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:03 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
Burlington, VT is one of my favorite places, but the length and the severity of their winters are both a bit of a negative factor for me.
I asked my wife about the possibility of moving to NH we we leave NJ but she didn't like the idea of their long, cold winters.

Delaware seems nice but we both prefer a more hilly, wooded area outside of a smaller city. We don't need a NYC or Philly sized city to enjoy city amenities.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:48 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
There are a few hills in Northern Delaware. Everything below I95 is flat.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:12 AM

832 posts, read 414,243 times
If you would like to stay in New Jersey why not look into Crestwood Village (you must be 55 or older). Houses range from $18,000 on up. You can buy a co-op if you have the cash and live for under $200 a month! You are only a 30 minute drive from the beach! You can look at the listings on Realtor.com just type in the location Whiting, NJ. They have 7 active clubhouses too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey