Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 04:44 PM

11 posts, read 9,231 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? We are currently renting in Clifton, NJ
Why are you moving? Looking for Buying now
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Midtown

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? 450K taxes around 10K
What kind of place are you looking for ? 3BR/2BA SFH or townhome

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse and 1 baby
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Safety, Proximity to NYC, family oriented

We narrowed it to 3 towns: Mahwah, Ramsey and Berkeley heights based on good schools and train stations. We are ok with 2 BR/2BA as well if 450K is less for a 3 BR.
any other recs? which town would be best for our needs.

Thanks and appreciate the advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 08:44 AM

378 posts, read 587,207 times
Mahwah and Ramsey are too far from NYC and overcrowded. BH is a great town. New Providence is better though.

I found a $455k brick 50s cape close to the station in Morris Plains that I recommend. The only reason I didn't buy is it was my second choice and my first choice went through.

Walking to the station will save you time and compensate the slightly further distance from NYC. (Though BH mostly requires a transfer at Summit, which kills at least 10-20 minutes.)

Old 08-13-2017, 02:32 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Bus is also an option from Northern Bergen County to Midtown
Here is the schedule for ShortLine

https://web.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAss...usSchedule.pdf

Old 08-13-2017, 06:58 PM

11 posts, read 9,231 times
preubas - can you please advise why is new providence better choice than Berkeley heights. Sorry don't know much about these towns

Bookspage - thanks. Only thing my concern with buses I used to take nj transit buses from Clifton to nyc. sometimes they would take forever because of the traffic in Lincoln tunnel. so I was leaning towards the train towns.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:29 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Reconsider Nutley. It meets your criteria as good as (if not better than) the others.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:48 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
Mahwah and Ramsey are too far from NYC and overcrowded. BH is a great town. New Providence is better though.

I found a $455k brick 50s cape close to the station in Morris Plains that I recommend. The only reason I didn't buy is it was my second choice and my first choice went through.

Walking to the station will save you time and compensate the slightly further distance from NYC. (Though BH mostly requires a transfer at Summit, which kills at least 10-20 minutes.)

I agree with all here, I would add in Westfield .

Old 08-14-2017, 07:53 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvenu09 View Post
Where are you coming from? We are currently renting in Clifton, NJ
Why are you moving? Looking for Buying now
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Midtown

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? 450K taxes around 10K
What kind of place are you looking for ? 3BR/2BA SFH or townhome

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse and 1 baby
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Safety, Proximity to NYC, family oriented

We narrowed it to 3 towns: Mahwah, Ramsey and Berkeley heights based on good schools and train stations. We are ok with 2 BR/2BA as well if 450K is less for a 3 BR.
any other recs? which town would be best for our needs.

Thanks and appreciate the advise.
I have friends that live in BH. Very nice community and easy access to I-78. Ramsey is a nice town, but I would think more expensive than BH. Mahway never did anything for me. Totally safe, but I don't know...nothing charming about it to me.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:28 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,483 times
Proximity to NYC is a relative term. That said, I would recommend Mahwah or Ramsey. Mahwah is the largest town in Bergen County, and has a great deal to offer -- proximity to other nearby towns, shopping, activities, culture, etc. You can go from a small cape starter home, to a larger split level, colonial, estate home, mansion, townhouse, condo, and so on. Mahwah is a very safe town and seems to have very little crime and a very attentive, responsive police force.

Ramsey, is a very similar town, which is next door to Mahwah. One major difference is that is has a downtown, walkable, storefront section. It's a nice downtown area. Nothing compared to Ridgewood, but a nice downtown. I know less about the other details of the town, but I spend a bit of time there and I know several people there, and each of my friends who live there like the town very much. There are also a variety of homes -- and some nice townhome complexes (in both Mahwah and Ramsey).

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:40 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvenu09 View Post
preubas - can you please advise why is new providence better choice than Berkeley heights. Sorry don't know much about these towns

Bookspage - thanks. Only thing my concern with buses I used to take nj transit buses from Clifton to nyc. sometimes they would take forever because of the traffic in Lincoln tunnel. so I was leaning towards the train towns.
Really? Hmm. Everyone I know who commutes to the city takes the bus and I've never heard that complaint. Maybe it's the time they go, not sure

Old 08-14-2017, 03:04 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
Look at the Pascack Valley Line in Bergen County- River Edge , Oradell, Emerson, Westwood, Hillsdale, Park Ridge, Montvale will all have houses that meet your price and top public schools. You can also look at Fair Lawn, Glen Rock and Waldwick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey