Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 08:07 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Where is it you perform such tasks seeing I have not seen a self-serve pump in quit a while in NJ?
After the gas attendant initiates the process by inserting his access card and my credit card into the pump, I take over the rest of the fueling process. While the attendant is busy serving other cars, I stop the pump after it clicks off for the first time, return the nozzle to the pump, take my receipt, and drive off into the sunset while other people wait for extended periods of time for the attendant to complete his job.

I do this at my usual gas station--Costco--but it can be done at any gas station as long as you use a credit card for your purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 01:40 PM

20 posts, read 15,763 times
So, "why do people like NJ?" Family, for me, but they're dying off or moving away. It's not a compelling enough reason for me to like NJ itself, in general.

I was born in Lakewood, and my parents are from the Manahawkin and Tuckerton areas, but man, there are so many other better places in the world--for me, anyway. I've lived for more than ten years in the Netherlands and in Japan. I would sort of like to move back to NJ for nostalgia's sake, but the notion of paying that level of income/property tax is painful to contemplate, especially considering what I'd get overall in return. And I've become averse to living the urban lifestyle.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:19 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
People in NJ are not able to pump their own gas?
Really?
Please explain how I have been able to do so for over 50 years without any problems.

Are you one of those people who believe that the mythical NJ Gasoline Police are suddenly going to pounce on you if you dare to touch the gas nozzle yourself?
I occasionally do it myself as well, but the vast majority of the time, I only have to wait a matter of seconds, so I don’t bother.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I occasionally do it myself as well, but the vast majority of the time, I only have to wait a matter of seconds, so I don’t bother.
I'm glad to see that at least one other member of this forum isn't cowed by the supposed prohibition on pumping one's own gas in NJ.

Most NJ residents will exceed the speed limit--which has the potential for severe monetary penalties--but are so afraid of the sudden emergence of the mythical NJ Gasoline Police that they will meekly wait in their cars for sometimes incredibly long periods of time, rather than incur the wrath of the Gasoline Gods that they apparently fear.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:39 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
I'm glad to see that at least one other member of this forum isn't cowed by the supposed prohibition on pumping one's own gas in NJ.

Most NJ residents will exceed the speed limit--which has the potential for severe monetary penalties--but are so afraid of the sudden emergence of the mythical NJ Gasoline Police that they will meekly wait in their cars for sometimes incredibly long periods of time, rather than incur the wrath of the Gasoline Gods that they apparently fear.

I can't speak for others, but for myself, it isn't a matter of fear. I just don't want to get out of my car if I don't have to. So I guess you can call it laziness. I usually don't have to wait longer than a few seconds for the guy to come back. The only place I see where you have to wait a while is gas stations at service exits off the NJT and GSP.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:09 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
After the gas attendant initiates the process by inserting his access card and my credit card into the pump, I take over the rest of the fueling process. While the attendant is busy serving other cars, I stop the pump after it clicks off for the first time, return the nozzle to the pump, take my receipt, and drive off into the sunset while other people wait for extended periods of time for the attendant to complete his job.

I do this at my usual gas station--Costco--but it can be done at any gas station as long as you use a credit card for your purchase.

Ok , many know how to pump gas,the question is why do you,there is a man there getting paid to do it,does the price go down,do you get a discount?

Old 10-04-2017, 05:16 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
If there's a ton of cars and I'm in a rush I'll get out and put the hose back and finish it off so I can leave. But it isn't fear that keeps me from getting out and pacing around the pumps, breathing down people's necks while they try to do their job.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Ok , many know how to pump gas,the question is why do you,there is a man there getting paid to do it,does the price go down,do you get a discount?
I hate to have to explain the obvious, but, here goes...
Many gas attendants will try to force more gas into your tank after the pump shuts off. This might make a tiny bit of sense if somebody is paying with cash, but many of these attendants will try to bring the total up to the next even dollar amount, even with a credit card customer--and in addition to making zero sense, that has the potential to cause mechanical damage to your car.

Mechanical damage?? Huh?
Because the carbon canister that is the heart of your evaporative emissions system is designed to deal only with gasoline vapor, when a tank is overfilled there is a very real potential for the excess gasoline to contaminate the carbon canister, and this can result in expensive repairs.

How expensive?
Well, I guess that it varies somewhat by make and model, but a friend of mine--who ignored my advice and chose to allow the gas attendant to make the decision of how much gas should go into his tank--wound up with a repair bill of a bit over $400 for his fairly-new Toyota Highlander. After that wallet hosing, he decided to take my advice, and to take charge of the fueling process.

Additionally, I am much more careful than a gas attendant about making sure that the gas cap is secured on its tether, instead of allowing it to bounce off of the fender--as so many gas attendants seem to do. The result is that my fender is pristine--with no dents, dings, scratches, or gas stains after 7 years--unlike a lot of newer cars.

I buy my cars for cash, maintain them flawlessly, and tend to keep them for 8-10 years, at which point I get top dollar for them because they look like they just rolled out of the showroom. If I allowed the guys as the gas station to decide how my car is fueled, my cars would not look pristine, and they would likely suffer mechanical damage, for which I would have to pay.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:31 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
on the northeast corridor
Near nyc and philly
good food
Most of the revolution took place here
NJ transit even though the state government raped it
not too many natural disasters
jersey shore
international airports
edison invented the light bulb
first electrified rail
harold and kumar go to white castle took place here
taylor ham pork roll, egg, and cheese

diverse and open to the free exchange of ideas

the world revolves new jersey

it can be paradise if just a little more effort and federal money
I would also add

Pine Barrons
Cape May

Also, IMO Jersey shore is more affordable than CT shore, Cape Cod, and Delaware shore for vacation.
(Shore home ownership I'm not sure).

Old 10-05-2017, 11:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnumbers View Post
So, "why do people like NJ?" Family, for me, but they're dying off or moving away. It's not a compelling enough reason for me to like NJ itself, in general.

I was born in Lakewood, and my parents are from the Manahawkin and Tuckerton areas, but man, there are so many other better places in the world--for me, anyway. I've lived for more than ten years in the Netherlands and in Japan. I would sort of like to move back to NJ for nostalgia's sake, but the notion of paying that level of income/property tax is painful to contemplate, especially considering what I'd get overall in return. And I've become averse to living the urban lifestyle.
Oh God, yes, there ARE so many places, in NJ not even the world, that are better than Lakewood. Truthfully the bay side of the Jersey Shore east of the Pine Barrens and even within them from like mid-Ocean County down is mostly just depressing. Some nice pockets, for sure, but the further south you go, generally I think, the more depressing it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey