Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 07:32 AM

10,486 posts, read 7,019,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I didn't see this post years ago when making this thread, but if you have a cinnamin colored bear around, are you sure it isn't a brown bear, or grizzly? Might want to call the game wardens.
NJ only has black bears, and grizzlies only exist west of the Rockies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
The crazies are still crazy. Not sure what this suit plans to accomplish. It's only a delay of the inevitable return of the bear hunt.

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/11/nj-b...its-start.html
Are the bears very dangerous though? Where I live (Morris County) we get occasional bears, and they are great sight to see. Personally, my only fear of the bear is hiking through the deep woods like the Delaware Water Gap and coming across one, other than that, they are harmless and are more afraid of you.

The last bear hunt had devastating results, as someone killed the famous Pedals the walking bear.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 12-02-2022 at 07:46 AM..

Old 12-02-2022, 07:47 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
NJ only has black bears, and grizzlies only exist west of the Rockies.
I know that, however I remember when there was a wildlife ranger or whatever you want to call him who crossed a griz with a black bear in the poconos....apparently he was transporting bears down Rt. 209 thru Broadheadsville and they escaped....a father and son were outside in the front yard and the bear came up and grabbed the kid in his mouth, father fought him off with a shovel and the kid lived...but the bear was a cross between a black bear and grizz.

don't kid yourself....they exist out in the east, because humans have transported them.

humans are the most god awful stupid people on the face of this earth....they feed wildlife, including bears and think it's cute....they move, and the deer no longer get fed

there was a guy in Brodheadsville PA owned a pet store, also owned a pet cougar, for which he had this small cage built in the store, and the cat laid in there all day and night....awful....I suppose he had papers for him, because game commission never did anything. Here's the kicker, the man at one time was a paratrooper jumped out of a plan and fell wrong, and was crippled, he could walk but barely, so I don't believe he could handle that cat. And believe me, it was a huge cat.

Down in New Hope PA, there was a family that owned a lion, left it outside on a chain, in the front yard, and whenever we'd go there, we'd look for the male lion.

Now how many other idiots own these kind of so called pets? The ones you don't see.

There are black panther in PA, I know b/c I saw one, and I bet it escaped from someone...now, there are sightings all over PA, but the game wardens refuse to acknowledge it. If you don't believe me, google it, you'll see tons of eye witnesses....

Old 12-02-2022, 07:50 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
You guys don't remember the Rutgers student getting killed and partially eaten by the black bear a few years ago?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...lled/16078383/

Old 12-02-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You guys don't remember the Rutgers student getting killed and partially eaten by the black bear a few years ago?

yupper I do remember.....animals take what food is easy to take...that is why I believe there are more shark attacks along the coast, b/c of the shark dives they do, they have to chum to bring them in and then they feed them....so now sharks equate man with their source of food....same with any animal...you feed it, they equate you to their source of food...which most likely has nothing to do with this article, just reminded me of what Opportunists animals are.

I wish humans would stop feeding wildlife....in the end, the animal suffers.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I know that, however I remember when there was a wildlife ranger or whatever you want to call him who crossed a griz with a black bear in the poconos....apparently he was transporting bears down Rt. 209 thru Broadheadsville and they escaped....a father and son were outside in the front yard and the bear came up and grabbed the kid in his mouth, father fought him off with a shovel and the kid lived...but the bear was a cross between a black bear and grizz.

don't kid yourself....they exist out in the east, because humans have transported them.

humans are the most god awful stupid people on the face of this earth....they feed wildlife, including bears and think it's cute....they move, and the deer no longer get fed

there was a guy in Brodheadsville PA owned a pet store, also owned a pet cougar, for which he had this small cage built in the store, and the cat laid in there all day and night....awful....I suppose he had papers for him, because game commission never did anything. Here's the kicker, the man at one time was a paratrooper jumped out of a plan and fell wrong, and was crippled, he could walk but barely, so I don't believe he could handle that cat. And believe me, it was a huge cat.

Down in New Hope PA, there was a family that owned a lion, left it outside on a chain, in the front yard, and whenever we'd go there, we'd look for the male lion.

Now how many other idiots own these kind of so called pets? The ones you don't see.

There are black panther in PA, I know b/c I saw one, and I bet it escaped from someone...now, there are sightings all over PA, but the game wardens refuse to acknowledge it. If you don't believe me, google it, you'll see tons of eye witnesses....
There are definitely panthers, coyotes, bobcats in NJ. I've personally seen all 3 in the last year in my backyard. Last year we had a panther/mountain lion/cougar (yes they do exist here) that was posted all over the neighborhood facebook group and caught on ring cameras. It killed a squirrel in my backyard which my partner saw live and freaked out (had to discard all the remnants of it the next day).

Old 12-02-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
There are definitely panthers, coyotes, bobcats in NJ. I've personally seen all 3 in the last year in my backyard. Last year we had a panther (yes they do exist here) that was posted all over the neighborhood facebook group and caught on ring cameras. It killed a squirrel in my backyard which my partner saw live and freaked out.
My son was in Eastern TN, and was talking to a man who said he was clearing land and saw a cougar....

I lived in Kunkletown, PA in the Poconos, and was walking my dogs at dusk like I always do, we'd run up a path and into an open field right behind the West End Fair Grounds....the dogs took off running, and the noise, arroused a big black cat....he poked it's head up then arose slowly, and streatched with it' butt in the air...it was beautiful, so black it shown like ink in the sun....with a long tail behind it....I in fear, called out to our female Jessie, and screamed for her to come back, hoping like anything theywouldn't see that cat....when they came to me, we ran clear back to the house...I called the police which was right down the street and he thought I was drunk.

True....I chalked it off to it being a pet that got loose....

ya gotta watch out of coyotes, they will grab little dogs to feed their pups....there are a lot of them out here in KY...they need to start thinning the heard. Seriously....I used to see them when I lived in Telford, PA....early in the morning, while going to work....we no longer saw ferrel cats and rabbits....when the food runs out, they move on, but I remember a man who lived down near Philly, was walking his dog and a coyote attacked them, it wanted the dog.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Yep remember that. There was also another guy who got mauled when entering a cave a few years ago but survived. A bit heart wrenching story, he was with 3 young kids, no cell phone service and drug into the cave by a bear.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...icle-1.2472133

Just like any other thing, when going on hikes don't enter caves, taunt, or run from bears and you will be ok.

Old 12-02-2022, 02:18 PM

53 posts, read 42,443 times
Quote:

The last bear hunt had devastating results, as someone killed the famous Pedals the walking bear.
When you have bear celebrities you have too many bears. It is not natural for the ranges of humans and bears to overlap, at least not in the most densely-populates state in the country. It is better for the bears to be clear of humans and, for the most part, vice-versa.

About 7 years ago a teenager was mauled to death in the woods at the end of my street. 2 years ago an older gentleman in my neighborhood was seriously injured by a bear he encountered in his garage. We can no longer put out our garbage the night before pickup because there is a one-in-three chance bears will get at it before the garbage truck comes.

My security cameras have caught bears walking within 5 feet of my front door at all times of the day, it is only a matter of time before I open my front door or garage door and surprise one, who knows how the bear will react?

I missed my train to lower Manhattan for work one morning because a bear was hanging out near my car and wouldn't budge, imagine the laughs when I told my boss in the financial district that a bear made me late for work. Likewise, I have pulled up in the driveway and my headlights show a bear dashing out of sight into my hedges along the side of the house. Several times I was sitting on my deck and one or several bears just strolled through my backyard like they owned the place. My neighbors had two young girls playing not 50 feet away, separated only by some arborvitae.

I don't like in the sticks, I live on a quarter-acre lot and can see at least 8 other homes easily from any point on my property, we live close together enough that I often can't tell who is cooking what because the odors from our dinners mix in the air. That's close.

Bears are beautiful and magnificent but I have seen more in the last 8 years than in my entire life living in this area-- I never saw a single one before 2010-- and there are more of them and they live closer to us than ever. They are becoming overly familiar and comfortable with humans and it is only a matter of time before the tragedies start to stack up and I would rather they happen to the bears than to people.

Old 12-02-2022, 04:02 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogers2005 View Post
When you have bear celebrities you have too many bears. It is not natural for the ranges of humans and bears to overlap, at least not in the most densely-populates state in the country. It is better for the bears to be clear of humans and, for the most part, vice-versa.

About 7 years ago a teenager was mauled to death in the woods at the end of my street. 2 years ago an older gentleman in my neighborhood was seriously injured by a bear he encountered in his garage. We can no longer put out our garbage the night before pickup because there is a one-in-three chance bears will get at it before the garbage truck comes.

My security cameras have caught bears walking within 5 feet of my front door at all times of the day, it is only a matter of time before I open my front door or garage door and surprise one, who knows how the bear will react?

I missed my train to lower Manhattan for work one morning because a bear was hanging out near my car and wouldn't budge, imagine the laughs when I told my boss in the financial district that a bear made me late for work. Likewise, I have pulled up in the driveway and my headlights show a bear dashing out of sight into my hedges along the side of the house. Several times I was sitting on my deck and one or several bears just strolled through my backyard like they owned the place. My neighbors had two young girls playing not 50 feet away, separated only by some arborvitae.

I don't like in the sticks, I live on a quarter-acre lot and can see at least 8 other homes easily from any point on my property, we live close together enough that I often can't tell who is cooking what because the odors from our dinners mix in the air. That's close.

Bears are beautiful and magnificent but I have seen more in the last 8 years than in my entire life living in this area-- I never saw a single one before 2010-- and there are more of them and they live closer to us than ever. They are becoming overly familiar and comfortable with humans and it is only a matter of time before the tragedies start to stack up and I would rather they happen to the bears than to people.
Yup my sister lived in West Milford for a while and saw bears all the time, and now she lives in Sussex County and sees bears all the time. They walk in the green area behind her townhouse because there are woods on either side. They tell the residents not to put out birdseed, and one of her neighbors was doing it anyway and the bears came to get it.

During COVID, her husband went to the supermarket one day and came home to tell her that he saw four different bears on his trip there and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey