Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:49 AM

538 posts, read 733,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's simpler because the rates overall goes down across the board.

Just like a raise vs a bonus, I much rather get a small raise then a bonus. A bonus is like the deductions game, it requires gaming.
A bonus is taxed at the same rate, it's just withheld at a different rate because it can often make an impact by pushing you to a higher bracket. Unless you're living paycheck to paycheck you should prefer whichever is higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 10:50 AM

482 posts, read 729,312 times
Should be interesting for those in sales or finance, where more than half of their compensation is in the form of bonus. Particular if they are relying on a big chunk of it, and the tax treatment is a bit unknown between withholdings and taxes owed when filing.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:26 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
Should be interesting for those in sales or finance, where more than half of their compensation is in the form of bonus. Particular if they are relying on a big chunk of it, and the tax treatment is a bit unknown between withholdings and taxes owed when filing.

What is unknown?

Old 01-26-2018, 12:03 PM

538 posts, read 733,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
What is unknown?
I think he's saying because the ratio of things could have changed enough to throw withholdings out of whack if they had everything finely tuned.

That said, if they work in Finance and can't deal with that then they should probably find a different line of work!

Old 01-27-2018, 11:16 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,432,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Ah yes, Zillow, the most accurate of homes estimates.
There are several class action suits about Zillow estimates

Old 01-27-2018, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 18,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
Unfortunately, this is very local.

I would think for upper middle to upper class towns, the property tax deduction adjustment is just a drop in the bucket, largely offset...those residents may be saving 10k-40k a year (weighted higher for those previously in AMT, who were locked out of deducting prop taxes, with a $5-20k in AMT tax penalty a year, will now have zero AMT penalty plus a 10k prop tax deduction). That alone frees up north of $2k/mo, which could potentially be put towards housing. This could be a huge boon for some towns. And people may be selling off investments that are up 25% over the past few years, to be put towards a down payment, further fueling buying power.

I think many are hyper focused on just the property tax aspect of this...it is hard to gauge what will happen until people see what their paychecks look like in 2018, and see what is refunded/owed in 2019. In a more extreme scenario, a former AMT filer could go from owing $20k to getting a refund.
100% agree with you. I was doom and gloom initially but when I ran the numbers with my accountant with the new tax law, I will end up positive $4-$7k despite losing state income tax and real estate tax deduction.

I think this law might be bad for part time/semi retired folks paying large property taxes and they may flood the supply but there is pent up demand as young families cannot afford NYC and Westchester is even worse

Old 01-29-2018, 08:09 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,432,160 times
I believe an experienced and well informed Real Estate professional can achieve a realistic value on your home vs. an internet data aggregator and a “ formula”not fully vetted nor validated by independent sources

Old 01-30-2018, 09:00 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
people will live there until it's time to retire, then they want OUT! not a recipe for growth in the housing market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: