Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:27 PM

32 posts, read 36,866 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on living in East Orange, Irvington or Newark? What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 09:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Well, you've listed two better choices than Irvington.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:58 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi_Milano_ View Post
Any thoughts on living in East Orange, Irvington or Newark?:......
Can't imagine why I would even entertain the thoughts.

What are your thoughts?

Old 01-28-2018, 11:45 AM

862 posts, read 976,698 times
Are you considering them as a new hometown? or just want people to say how much of a dump they are.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
Are you considering them as a new hometown? or just want people to say how much of a dump they are.
Not exactly . Just wanna hear what people think of these places.. Somebody i know is considering moving to one of these places and won't hear me out about them. So lets see what the people have to say.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Can't imagine why I would even entertain the thoughts.

What are your thoughts?
I think that a person would definitely have to have a certain tolerance level for certain things and personality to live in these places. They're not ideal for everybody. Some think these are semi-decent / decent places in Essex and some think the complete opposite.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:45 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi_Milano_ View Post
Any thoughts on living in East Orange, Irvington or Newark? What do you guys think?
Newark has some quite nice areas that I couldn't afford to live in.

Orange and East Orange have some nice buildings along Central Ave, including new luxury condos.

My thoughts are that anytime people hear the name of a predominantly black neighborhood they automatically think they're completely run down places.

It's fine to have an opinion, but it should be based on actually having been to the place and having an experience based on those visits. Since I drive through those places all the time for work, I have some experience.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:04 PM

625 posts, read 797,505 times
I've lived in the Ironbound section of Newark my entire life (32 years) and I've never seen this much development going on at the same time. It's a convenient location to get on highways to train, great restaurants throughout the area, bakeries and little shops. Rents have increased quite a bit, but they are still much less than comparable areas.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:28 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
I've lived in the Ironbound section of Newark my entire life (32 years) and I've never seen this much development going on at the same time. It's a convenient location to get on highways to train, great restaurants throughout the area, bakeries and little shops. Rents have increased quite a bit, but they are still much less than comparable areas.
It's pretty funny how names carry reputations.

I took my friend (who is from Queens) down Ferry Street and it was a nice day. There were a LOT of attractive women around.

And he couldn't believe it was Newark. It blew his mind.

I mean granted there are a lot of areas of Newark that are pretty rough. But you gotta look at the whole picture.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:04 PM

A lot of people don't wanna bother putting up with the dangers that lurk in Newark. Whether its riding a bus or driving through. But yes, looking at the totality of a city is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey