Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 04:19 PM

19 posts, read 22,403 times

Advertisements

I have seen an increase in stucco installation in northen bergen county. Mainly in small colonials and now some capes. A mixture of stucco on the front, vynl on the side and stone design at the bottom or bump outs.

Any thoughts on the resale value? Better appreciation than vynl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 06:59 PM

864 posts, read 1,346,617 times
No idea on the resell value but I hate houses that have a fake stone front or stucco etc. but then vinyl siding on the sides. Just looks cheap especially if it’s on a very expensive house

Old 02-06-2018, 08:23 PM

88,777 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
No idea on the resell value but I hate houses that have a fake stone front or stucco etc. but then vinyl siding on the sides. Just looks cheap especially if it’s on a very expensive house
I don't like that look, either.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:41 AM

19 posts, read 22,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
It seems very common to leave the sides vinl and surprising even for huge mansions. You can go through any contractor sites and find many examples in their gallery.

I've seen capes and colonials following the same pattern. I guess homeowners don't feel it's necessary to spend the extra money on the side and just care about the front presentation.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:46 AM

332 posts, read 525,397 times
So so so ugly. We don't live in Arizona. It's awful, and even worse, as noted above, when they mix and match. It looks so cheap (which, it is, which is why they do it).

A fun exercise is to make friends with a good builder and have them walk you through town showing you how all the other builders cheaped out. So many little details..

Old 02-07-2018, 07:45 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,229,689 times
Terrible. Ugly. Tacky. And an unfortunate majority of the new builds and scrapes I see are built buy design/build contractors with no sense of architectural style integrity or taste and would fail Residential Architectural Styles and Periods 101. Can't fathom that people PAY for these miserable eyesores and then ALSO pay prop taxes to validate their unfortunate existence.

Just look at all the faux Baroque, pinkish brick and stucco, pillared, giant rectangular box monstrosities dotting the Northern NJ landscape. Classy.

Further, I have no idea why anyone would go out of their way to stucco portions their northeastern colonial or cape. Put up fiber cement siding with solid trim/soffits etc. That's worth more appreciation, re-sale wise, than anything else and you get to enjoy the performance/no maintenance while your in the house.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Terrible. Ugly. Tacky. And an unfortunate majority of the new builds and scrapes I see are built buy design/build contractors with no sense of architectural style integrity or taste and would fail Residential Architectural Styles and Periods 101. Can't fathom that people PAY for these miserable eyesores and then ALSO pay prop taxes to validate their unfortunate existence.

Just look at all the faux Baroque, pinkish brick and stucco, pillared, giant rectangular box monstrosities dotting the Northern NJ landscape. Classy.

Further, I have no idea why anyone would go out of their way to stucco portions their northeastern colonial or cape. Put up fiber cement siding with solid trim/soffits etc. That's worth more appreciation, re-sale wise, than anything else and you get to enjoy the performance/no maintenance while your in the house.
I would never claim my house is an architectural masterpiece, but my cement siding still looks great 10 years after the previous owners put it up, and at least the exterior makes sense.

BTW if you want to see a really fun example of awful architecture, look up 104 walnut in tenafly.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,174,312 times
There is a house in my neighborhood that has stucco on the first floor and siding on the second floor (front, back and sides). Personally I don't like the look of stucco and it gives the house a Southwestern feel which I don't like at all. Looks like something you would see in Arizona and doesn't really fit in well with this area.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:13 AM

2,680 posts, read 2,105,810 times
I like stone/stucco facades. They are much better looking than the ugly dirty brick facades or dirty old siding. Yes, it would be better if the home owners could afford to cover the entire house with stone stucco. But I guess in the middle class suburbs, there is just not enough money. But I think vinyl siding on the sides of the house matching the color of the nice stone or stucco façade looks pretty good. Much better than the other alternatives that exist...

Old 02-07-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I like stone/stucco facades. They are much better looking than the ugly dirty brick facades or dirty old siding. Yes, it would be better if the home owners could afford to cover the entire house with stone stucco. But I guess in the middle class suburbs, there is just not enough money. But I think vinyl siding on the sides of the house matching the color of the nice stone or stucco façade looks pretty good. Much better than the other alternatives that exist...
What's wrong with brick? It's not my favorite look but it ages nicely and is relatively classic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey