Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 10:26 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,485,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
I heard a train to midtown is in the works.
andover station is under construction.

plus, we need more tunnels
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 08:46 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,092,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You constantly say it’s much more or other factors but do not have provide anything. More like you have nothing but just don’t want to acknowledge the uncomfortable truth.
Well that's easy...I could say economics and environment along with bad leadership and culture, but you've already stated the other factors were minimal and they weren't the 'real reason'. So there's that. Combined with the fact that you didn't come out and say it (for fear of not being politically correct or labeled a racist, as you put it), I honestly didn't see the purpose of pointing anything else out.

Last edited by 66nexus; 03-01-2018 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-02-2018, 07:10 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,234,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Well that's easy...I could say economics and environment along with bad leadership and culture, but you've already stated the other factors were minimal and they weren't the 'real reason'. So there's that. Combined with the fact that you didn't come out and say it (for fear of not being politically correct or labeled a racist, as you put it), I honestly didn't see the purpose of pointing anything else out.
Economics and environment are the effects not cause. It’s like saying a loser who dropped out of school, did drugs, work minimum wage, commit crimes, end up in prison, then blame it all on economics and the environment. While another guy worked hard in school, went to Harvard and becomes a doctor. Yeah, it’s the economics and environment that is the difference, not the person.

Throw in the fact that, in order to help the loser out because the Left thought he was at a disadvantage, the government helps the loser out with almost everything, including lots of counseling, attention, stipends, housing, foodstamps and even a guaranteed government job but yet the loser still screw up. While the hardworking guy got nothing from that same government but higher taxes.

That pretty much sums up the good and bad cities and towns across the state and country.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:40 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,019,034 times
Despite being poorly worded, I understand what the OP is trying to say. Although it’s a national problem, the middle class in northern NJ is severely dwindling. A state of haves and have nots. How many solidly middle class towns can you name in northern NJ? The few left are on a pendulum, either going downhill or becoming more desirable with skyrocketing property values. We rank as one of the worst states for income inequality.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:20 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,485,255 times
that's what happens when you give all your wealth and manufacturing base to china

Old 03-02-2018, 07:30 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,497,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In NYC, 3rd world environment becoming almost a thing of the past. Many poor areas converted to high rises and even poor people getting freebies and entitlements they look like the eat better and perform better jobs and no longer in a race to the bottom.

For NJ, you can drive through near endless mansions stacked hill after hill and gated communities with high end shops that even most NYers do not have access. But a few miles you can drive through 3rd world neighborhoods that are as bad as Iraq, Syria, etc. Abandoned homes, streets filled with homeless and opportunists. Many of them are drug mills and boarded up buildings that used to be giant factories. Neighboring towns have police acting as border patrol to filter traffic and pull over any suspecting drivers to keep the towns purified of crime.
I grew up in NJ and lived here my entire life and I am 19. I live with my parents in the same suburb and same house my entire life. The town I live in is in North Jersey 10-11 miles from Newark, so my town is definitely safe and is a decent neighborhood. I kind of wish I lived in central-north Jersey (meaning the center of North Jersey) like Dover area where there is less hustle and bustle. My town does not seem like a 3rd world country at all. I live next to Essex County. Essex County has its rich suburbs, but these towns lie closer to Newark where patrols are filtering traffic.

The thing I do not like about NJ is the crime-rated, third world country type of cities. Every city in NJ is too overcrowded and is full of muggers. I recently took a vacation to Virginia and I have not seen a mugger, no weirdos, and no crowded areas like NJ including Virginia's cities that border Washington D.C. Every city in NJ has abandon homes, abandoned businesses closed by silver garage doors, and old factories that have missing windows. I hate how I have to go to ghetto Newark to watch a concert or a good show, because not every show would be held in Morristown. I have my dad's immediate family that lived in Jersey City and driving in Jersey City is a pain. Too many potholes, the lanes aren't labeled, etc. Even if I was an east coast fan, I would have no intent on living back in NJ again. I'd rather Virginia over NJ if I wanted to live on the east coast. I just don't like the ghetto urbanized areas and I just don't like the extreme population density over here.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:35 PM

4,184 posts, read 5,068,642 times
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Old 03-02-2018, 07:35 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,648,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Despite being poorly worded, I understand what the OP is trying to say. Although it’s a national problem, the middle class in northern NJ is severely dwindling. A state of haves and have nots. How many solidly middle class towns can you name in northern NJ? The few left are on a pendulum, either going downhill or becoming more desirable with skyrocketing property values. We rank as one of the worst states for income inequality.
The term solidly middle class is pretty much an oxymoron considering “middle class” is not even a term that has a universal definition.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:44 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,726,561 times
NYC the whole 5 boros, has less run down areas than NJ's major cities.

Take Trenton, outside of just several business streets the area is dying. Fewer businesses wants to move there other than utilities. It's only saved by state govt buildings otherwise the area is dying.

Newark, other than some solid areas in the north, just driving through the south or east side have most NYers locking their car doors and in fear of being carjacked.

Whenever I go home from NJTransit, all I see are boarded up and war torn looking factory buildings.

Here are some NJ neighborhoods:

Atlantic City, what a rat hole it has become.

Irvington, is home below really just a few miles from Short Hills?

Places like this is pretty common in many parts of NJ other than the high end towns. There are much fewer examples in NYC's 5 boros because they are being brought up as quickly just waiting to get converted to high res condos.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:29 AM

32,947 posts, read 36,405,132 times
The horror.

I didn't choose this, just dropped the little yellow guy from a great height. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6257...7i13312!8i6656

Welcome to some parts of Southern New Jersey. There's a lot of traffic in the Cherry Hill area, but there are miles and miles...and miles and miles of places which are pretty quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey