Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 02:11 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,643,797 times

Advertisements

Somebody in my family will be flying from Newark to Athens Greece this Wednesday at 11:55pm. The inbound flight arrives at Newark at 830 that evening. I am concerned that the weather will cancel or severely delay her flight.

Anybody in the airport industry know if international flights are easily cancelled due to the weather? They're forecasting 3-6 inches of snow but it seems like the real issue could be wind. Friday's storm cancelled flights due to the wind. Any predictions or experience with international flights in bad weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 02:43 PM

538 posts, read 734,867 times
You can't really predict too well what's going to happen too far in advance unless something is pretty obviously going to be an insane storm. It really depends on how much snow, ice and wind there is - and both here and wherever the equipment, any needed parts and staff comes from.

I'd assume the flight is going to happen until it's cancelled, but I would be prepared to not be surprised if it was cancelled.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:41 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,876,047 times
I wouldn't change your plans because of it but I'd be watching the boards closely all day. So much of air travel is actually less about the passengers and more about the equipment, so if some flight with a 757 didn't leave Newark they'll be less concerned with getting the 757 in from Greece and maybe that can re-route to someplace else for a few hours.

It's more likely that an international flight will get across the Atlantic but maybe divert to Boston or something than not leave Greece.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:44 PM

857 posts, read 836,440 times
International flights are the last to cancel. The biggest priority is with long haul wide bodies because they produce the most revenue.
The problem with departures when operating in snow is that it is hard to keep up with de icing for all the departures. As far as arrivals go that has to do with keeping the runway clean.
Looking at Wednesday’s forecast I wouldn’t expect much in the way of cancellations on international flights. Of course everything is subject to change.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I wouldn't change your plans because of it but I'd be watching the boards closely all day. So much of air travel is actually less about the passengers and more about the equipment, so if some flight with a 757 didn't leave Newark they'll be less concerned with getting the 757 in from Greece and maybe that can re-route to someplace else for a few hours.

It's more likely that an international flight will get across the Atlantic but maybe divert to Boston or something than not leave Greece.
A commercial flight from Greece to EWR would never be released to fly to EWR unless the weather was good enough to make it to EWR. It could never legally depart with the intention of landing in BOS nor would any airline company want it to simply to get it across the Atlantic Ocean. Of course if EWR conditions changes along the way anything is possible.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:23 AM

22 posts, read 22,049 times
i heard that BOS is also getting bad weather, so diverting to BOS may not be an option.

Whar airline are they flying? I would consider giving them a call and asking them what your options are. you might be able to rebook an earlier flight. I know United sends me alerts a day or 2 in advance giving me options to switch flights

Old 03-06-2018, 09:56 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,643,797 times
She has booked herself on a flight tonight instead of keeping her reservation for Wednesday night's flight. She does not want to worry about the chance of a cancellation. Thanks for the responses!

Old 03-06-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
She has booked herself on a flight tonight instead of keeping her reservation for Wednesday night's flight. She does not want to worry about the chance of a cancellation. Thanks for the responses!
Good move! The forecast is getting worse and will likey lead to 100s if not 1000s of canceled flights tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: