Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM

68 posts, read 395,751 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Warren, NJ. We are 30 years old and have an 8 week old baby boy. I was wondering if we could get some insight from people who live there.

Are there a lot of young families in Warren? How are the schools?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:35 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
1. yes
2. good

Old 09-01-2010, 12:43 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrodbenchwood View Post
My wife and I are thinking about moving to Warren, NJ. We are 30 years old and have an 8 week old baby boy. I was wondering if we could get some insight from people who live there.

Are there a lot of young families in Warren? How are the schools?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
The biggest issue is affordability. If you can afford Warren, it's a great town to live, with an excellent school system.

It's difficult to point out how many young families there are, as that's a fluid number, which no one really tracks.
Warren is a town with a population of about 15,000 people, in which there are three grade schools with a total enrollment of about 1,500. There are also several (I can think of at least four right away, and there are probably more) day care centers in town as well. Those facts combined represent a decent indication that there are a good number of younger families.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 09-01-2010 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Aded last paragraph

Old 09-01-2010, 03:59 PM

31 posts, read 65,331 times
Warren NJ is very nice if you can afford it. The houses are expensive and the taxes are high, but it is very green with a lot of trees and open spaces, but also has good stores. It is also close to major highways like 78, 287 and Route 22. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:25 PM

26 posts, read 67,426 times
Warren is a great place to grow up! There are many community activities, fairs, etc. There are affordable houses vs. the mcmansions. In this market it's such a great time to buy in a normally high-priced area. The HS is Watchung Hills Regional HS where 5 towns or maybe 6 now, go to HS. Not sure about now, but the taxes were lower in Warren than say Watchung next door. I loved it.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:48 PM

68 posts, read 395,751 times
This is great information, thank you. I have been looking at listings and there are several nice looking houses in our price range. I wanted to get a feel for the population to see what Warren has to offer a young family. We are currently living in a town on Long Island where most of our neighbors are senior citizens.

My second biggest concern is my ability to commute to midtown Manhattan. My office is located right next to Penn Station. I was thinking about driving from Warren to Newark Penn and taking a train from there.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:00 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrodbenchwood View Post
This is great information, thank you. I have been looking at listings and there are several nice looking houses in our price range. I wanted to get a feel for the population to see what Warren has to offer a young family. We are currently living in a town on Long Island where most of our neighbors are senior citizens.

My second biggest concern is my ability to commute to midtown Manhattan. My office is located right next to Penn Station. I was thinking about driving from Warren to Newark Penn and taking a train from there.
You can get the train in Lyons, NJ which is a short drive from Warren. It goes to NY Penn station.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 PM

26 posts, read 67,426 times
No DONT drive to NEWARK!! you will spend all of your time on route 78!! if you drive anywhere you should drive to summit which has express stops directly to penn station at certain times. otherwise as pp stated you can take it at lyons, millington, etc.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 PM

284 posts, read 616,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtanyc View Post
No DONT drive to NEWARK!! you will spend all of your time on route 78!! if you drive anywhere you should drive to summit which has express stops directly to penn station at certain times. otherwise as pp stated you can take it at lyons, millington, etc.
someone can correct me, but if the economy were better, I think parking for non-resident may be a problem. There is a garage near the train station. A limited outdoor space of the garage is available for non-resident for about $10 per day, but the space is very limited.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:29 PM

199 posts, read 526,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You can get the train in Lyons, NJ which is a short drive from Warren. It goes to NY Penn station.
You wouldn't get a Midtown direct there. Your best bet from Warren would be driving to Summit (about 20 minute drive) and going from there, IMO. No traffic to Summit and from there most of the trains are direct.

And yes, Warren along with all of the towns in the vicinity (Basking Ridge, Bernardsville, Long Hill Township, Berkeley Heights, etc.) are great towns with lots of families and terrific schools. I live in the town just to the north (Long Hill). I'm sure you already know about the home costs if you've done any research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey