Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:43 PM

15 posts, read 58,899 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to NJ within the next couple months. My husband will be working in Florham Park. I'm finding lots of info about how great Madison is for families, but not a lot of info about Florham Park. Is Florham Park good for families? We have a 3-yr-old and one on the way. I haven't yet visited the area...they seem so close, it's hard to understand from a distance how they could be much different. It seems as though Madison might have more things to do (correct me if I'm wrong), but since they are close, does it matter which one we choose? I've read that Madison is very welcoming to new families...does moving to Florham Park mean that we would be "outsiders" or is everyone just very friendly no matter what? I'm sorta stuck on Florham Park because of the easy commute and also because we did a first browse through houses for sale and it just so happens that our favorites are in FP...but who cares about a house if it's in the wrong area.

And maybe I'll throw in a question about the differences of Chatham as well?

Any info is appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:03 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtcon View Post
We will be relocating to NJ within the next couple months. My husband will be working in Florham Park. I'm finding lots of info about how great Madison is for families, but not a lot of info about Florham Park. Is Florham Park good for families? We have a 3-yr-old and one on the way. I haven't yet visited the area...they seem so close, it's hard to understand from a distance how they could be much different. It seems as though Madison might have more things to do (correct me if I'm wrong), but since they are close, does it matter which one we choose? I've read that Madison is very welcoming to new families...does moving to Florham Park mean that we would be "outsiders" or is everyone just very friendly no matter what? I'm sorta stuck on Florham Park because of the easy commute and also because we did a first browse through houses for sale and it just so happens that our favorites are in FP...but who cares about a house if it's in the wrong area.

And maybe I'll throw in a question about the differences of Chatham as well?

Any info is appreciated!!
Florham is great for families. No worries. Madison has an old authentic downtown and train station so it is a more desirable because it is easier to access the city from Madison. Chatham is nice town as well. I personally love Madison, but it is not a cheap place to buy a home. It is one of the most desirable towns in NJ. Chatham has some of the best public schools in NJ. All that being said, FP is a fine community and very family oriented. All these towns border each other so the "vibe" is pretty similar as far sense of family and community. Morris County is one the best countys in which to live in NJ. The NY Jets training facility is located in FP. It is a really nice facility and the residents of FP are really proud of their Jets. You often see the players at the local pizzeria or ice cream shop. They're easy to recognize...they're HUGE. Tony Siragusa lives in FP. Tony Siragusa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,978,324 times
You may find some of the discussion in this thread helpful (Florham Park is discussed towards the end): //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...nj-advice.html

Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Florham is great for families. No worries. Madison has an old authentic downtown and train station so it is a more desirable because it is easier to access the city from Madison. Chatham is nice town as well. I personally love Madison, but it is not a cheap place to buy a home. It is one of the most desirable towns in NJ. Chatham has some of the best public schools in NJ. All that being said, FP is a fine community and very family oriented. All these towns border each other so the "vibe" is pretty similar as far sense of family and community. Morris County is one the best countys in which to live in NJ. The NY Jets training facility is located in FP. It is a really nice facility and the residents of FP are really proud of their Jets. You often see the players at the local pizzeria or ice cream shop. They're easy to recognize...they're HUGE. Tony Siragusa lives in FP. Tony Siragusa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Great, thank you! It sounds like we can't go wrong with any of those 3 places. I guess it'll just come down to visiting in person and getting a feel for what we're drawn to. And I didn't know about the Jets training in FP - how fun! Thanks again!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You may find some of the discussion in this thread helpful (Florham Park is discussed towards the end): //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...nj-advice.html
Thanks! I saw that thread but never made it to the end, so thanks for pointing it out. Makes sense about FP having bigger houses and lots...that's probably why all of our favorite houses for sale were in FP, because that's what we're used to. The initial shock of small houses with big prices was hard to get over! It's way different here in Florida, especially now after the housing crash. I can't wait to get there and look around!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:06 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,399,101 times
Lifetime Fitness is in FP, which is a pretty sweet gym.

You can't go wrong in any of those towns though. Morristown is also nice if you want to be around some nightlife also.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,709 times
All of them are nice, beautiful, affluent towns. You can't go wrong with any of the three: FP, Chatham, or Florham Park.

I'd probably pick Madison -- if you can afford it -- because it has that cute downtown and the schools are a bit better than Florham Park (I grew up in Chatham, Florham Park, and East Hanover BTW).

The Chathams (there are two) are more expensive, but they have great schools. There are rumors of a "Chattitude" however.

I don't know what your budget is, but like I said, I'd pick Madison of the three. It is adorable. To me it is the most "family friendly."

Old 05-01-2013, 11:02 AM

453 posts, read 1,741,975 times
I've lived pretty much in both towns my entire life. You can't go wrong with either one. As stated, Madison has a more walkable downtown (as does Chatham), and somewhat closer single-town high school. Florham Park shares a high school with East Hanover, and the campus is there.

Pay close attention to the differences in overall tax rates and all utility costs. Florham Park is known for having fairly low tax rates. There is more diversity in Madison. Both are college towns. Fairleigh Dickinson University straddles both towns but is mostly in Florham Park; Drew is in Madison, and St. Elizabeth's is next to FDU in the Convent Station section of Morris Township.

A good way to get a sense of both areas is to check out the local papers, the Madison Eagle and Florham Park Eagle, published by the same company.

I don't think you'll encounter less-than-welcoming attitudes in any of these areas. Find a great local realtor that serves both, or send me a DM for a very strong recommendation.

Rhys

Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
I like all places but Madison IMHO bubbles to the top. I have a friend who relocated here from the midwest (don't know where you're coming from) and she lived in FP for a year while trying to find a place to live. She found it to be a bit snooty and was glad to leave (although she misses Trader Joe's being so close).

Take that for whatever it's worth, I don't have an informed opinion about it nor do I have a dog in this hunt. Just relaying what she said. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:37 AM

206 posts, read 532,472 times
FP is a nice/boring suburb but cheaper than Madison/Chatham because it lacks the nice downtown area and because its high school performance is fairly mediocre, and pretty bad when you compare it to other towns of similar affluence. As you mentioned, you can get to Madison downtown in just a few minutes drive from most of FP, and you can get more house for your money, so my main concern would be the high school (honestly don't know enough about what the "problem" is there but it is outperformed by just about every nice surrounding town).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey