Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:09 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by practicalposts View Post
Things have got lot better with ppl working from home it seems. Crossing at ridge rd and 522 at. 9 am is no more than 2 signal Times.
Just beyond me why ppl keep coming back with Montgomery, rocky hill suggestion when you have better towns in every way in same price range available. I commute through 518 everyday and traffic is okay now but it seems such depressing sleepy and boring town. And if you trying to get away from Asian population for diversity (funny we are talking about diversity in reverse way. Towns like Edison, franklin, n Brunswick, Monroe really need to encourage white, black, Spanish to come. Some schools in Monroe have 90% Indians) Montgomery has highest influx of Asian last 5 years.
Geographically Montgomery is worse situated with canal and river on east, you are just 1 rainfall or storm away from being blocked. Raritan valley on west with no humanity for miles, north and south are always blocked on 206
Better towns than Montgomery? Other than Princeton itself, which ones do tell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 03:28 PM

44 posts, read 63,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopehome View Post
My spouse is interested in a job at Princeton University. We know nothing about NJ and would be coming from out of state. To make it work, we would need to be able to afford a 4 bedroom home, in a GREAT school district (3 elementary kids including one with special needs), in a clean, safe area. Can we find this in the $600-650K range (or a bit higher)? What schools/neighborhoods would you recommend? Thanks for any feedback!
for this budget princeton school district is not possible. best bet would be montgomery or west windsor

Old 03-20-2018, 11:09 PM

300 posts, read 914,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Better towns than Montgomery? Other than Princeton itself, which ones do tell?
West Windsor, cranbury, Plainsboro, robbinsville, south Brunswick, Pennington... want more? Why don’t you tell me what is so special about Montgomery?

Old 03-21-2018, 07:29 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by practicalposts View Post
West Windsor, cranbury, Plainsboro, robbinsville, south Brunswick, Pennington... want more? Why don’t you tell me what is so special about Montgomery?
Why don't you tell me how these towns are "better towns in every way imaginable" than Montgomery

Old 04-17-2018, 10:53 AM

6 posts, read 6,441 times
AVOID West Windsor- For 600k you will get a small, dated home in a less than desirable area.

It is also very hard to keep up in this town and I don't see it suitable for kids (yes I grew up here). An above average kid will be below average in academics, sports etc. Grew up here, moved to a top school district in another state (arguably better than WW-P) and felt more comfortable and was also a student who could understand the material (in AP's and honors) without seeing tutors 5 days a week and was considered top of the class at graduation. I believe it is not the curriculum that makes WWP appear fabulous but the willingness of parents to pay $60+ a week in tutors. That said, Hopewell/Pennington are far more family oriented and more laid back. My family's biggest regret was not moving to Pennington. Also, it is cheaper and IMO nicer and prettier. WWP is just strip malls with minivans and high end cars and families rushing to tutors/sports/piano.

Forgot to mention: Don't forget about the close PA neighbors. A lot of people commute from Bucks county (new hope, Buckingham, Newtown). These areas are a lot nicer, similar in price, lower taxes, and prettier

Old 05-04-2018, 08:29 PM

28 posts, read 55,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skc1234 View Post
AVOID West Windsor- For 600k you will get a small, dated home in a less than desirable area.

It is also very hard to keep up in this town and I don't see it suitable for kids (yes I grew up here). An above average kid will be below average in academics, sports etc. Grew up here, moved to a top school district in another state (arguably better than WW-P) and felt more comfortable and was also a student who could understand the material (in AP's and honors) without seeing tutors 5 days a week and was considered top of the class at graduation. I believe it is not the curriculum that makes WWP appear fabulous but the willingness of parents to pay $60+ a week in tutors. That said, Hopewell/Pennington are far more family oriented and more laid back. My family's biggest regret was not moving to Pennington. Also, it is cheaper and IMO nicer and prettier. WWP is just strip malls with minivans and high end cars and families rushing to tutors/sports/piano.

Forgot to mention: Don't forget about the close PA neighbors. A lot of people commute from Bucks county (new hope, Buckingham, Newtown). These areas are a lot nicer, similar in price, lower taxes, and prettier
Wow, thanks for the candid feedback on WWP. Hopewell looks like it ranks a lot lower than Montgomery though? Just looking at Niche rankings. Does it have a good reputation?

Old 05-07-2018, 09:30 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopehome View Post
Wow, thanks for the candid feedback on WWP. Hopewell looks like it ranks a lot lower than Montgomery though? Just looking at Niche rankings. Does it have a good reputation?

School ranking is mainly due to test scores. The scores are skewed by a small number of super smart kids whose parents are academics, engineers or work in research of which there are a ton of labs around Princeton.

Hopewell Township has a lot of newer homes on acreage and is beautiful but less expensive than Princeton, West Windsor and Montgomery. Hopewell Valley Regional S.D. is classified as "elite," indicating that it is way above average. Next door Ewing Township real estate is a bit cheaper than Hopewell and there are many nice areas.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:26 AM

612 posts, read 1,011,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Why don't you tell me how these towns are "better towns in every way imaginable" than Montgomery
It's pretty simple. Route 206 doesn't run through them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey