Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 09:44 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,931 times

Advertisements

Cranford's Crane Parkway Footbridge.

The town is bisected by the Rahway river and has many footbridges and bridges.

The Cranford Flickr group is here. More pics are always welcome!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/cranford/ (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 09:54 PM

Another bridge (North Union Ave) in a town called Crane's Ford (Cranford), located in some alternate and lovecraftian reality.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:56 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,347,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
Cranford's Crane Parkway Footbridge.

The town is bisected by the Rahway river and has many footbridges and bridges.

The Cranford Flickr group is here. More pics are always welcome!
Flickr: Cranford Township, New Jersey (NJ) (http://www.flickr.com/groups/cranford/ - broken link)
I've spent many a week-end and holiday in Cranford, even rented a canoe one day to tour the river for a few hours.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I've spent many a week-end and holiday in Cranford, even rented a canoe one day to tour the river for a few hours.
You're talking about the Cranford Canoe Club. Hope you liked it. My wife and I saw some nice riverside homes and private docks when we first did it last year. Not the delaware gap in size, but ok anyways because you are so close to homes and the streets.

Cranford Canoe Club

Here's a night pic of the Club dock from Jean Kreiling. The 100 year old club is the only one of its kind left in the rahway river. It was functional even in the late years of the 19th century. It was recently restored by some conservationists and enthusiasts.

http://www.blueboard.com/temp/cranford_canoe_kreiling.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by kalim2008; 04-21-2009 at 10:11 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
You're talking about the Cranford Canoe Club. Hope you liked it. My wife and I saw some nice riverside homes and private docks when we first did it last year. Not the delaware gap in size, but ok anyways because you are so close to homes and the streets.

Cranford Canoe Club

Here's a night pic of the Club dock from Jean Kreiling. The 100 year old club is the only one of its kind left in the rahway river. It was functional even in the late years of the 19th century. It was recently restored by some conservationists and enthusiasts.
I got the impression not many people knew of the canoe club. I really enjoyed it and found that section of the river to be really scenic. The rental price was not bad at all. It's got to be 10 years since I was there but definitely would go back if I got the chance.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:19 PM

Default Sunset at Walgreens

Some people over at cranfordtalk seem to like this, so even though it's only a Walgreens, I'll post it.

This is the new Walgreens that just moved across the border from Garwood to Cranford.

I took the pic at sunset, while walking with my wife to the nearby Pathmark, and you can see the Victorian lamps that grace the parking lot (I believe there's an ordinance from the town that mandates using these kinds of lamps). Notice too the "Victorian" style of the store.

In the foreground is a brick wall with the town name on it.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I got the impression not many people knew of the canoe club. I really enjoyed it and found that section of the river to be really scenic. The rental price was not bad at all. It's got to be 10 years since I was there but definitely would go back if I got the chance.
Gotta be honest with you, we never fully noticed it either until last year, and we've lived together in the town since 2002

My dream is to paddle all the way from the dock to my home area, near GSP 136, even though I know it's impossible because of stone works along the way that obstruct the path.

http://www.blueboard.com/temp/boat_map.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-21-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Gotta be honest with you, we never fully noticed it either until last year, and we've lived together in the town since 2002

My dream is to paddle all the way from the dock to my home area, near GSP 136, even though I know it's impossible because of stone works along the way that obstruct the path.
It seems 2 hours isn't long enough to see the river. I'd like to have had all day to explore the river and what's along the banks. My ex-fiancee used to live in Cranford and we found the Canoe Club by accident---had nothing to do--were bored so we took out a canoe. It was one of the best "by accident" things I've done.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,216,356 times
Default Sandy Hook fox

Mike,

Here is a shot of your Sandy Hook fox.

One day we watched as a red fox sat quietly off to the side waiting for scraps to be tossed from folks using the picnic tables. Also photographed that event.

Island beach also had a bold fox population. They run through neighborhoods picking up food scraps left out for pets.

NJ is a study in wildlife adaptability.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:41 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,216,356 times
Default Across the bay at sunset

NYC skyline pre 911 from Sandy Hook.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2443/sandyhookpre911small.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey