Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 AM

226 posts, read 860,357 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any historical sites/museums etc where I can take my guests (in May) to learn about the Native American people of NJ?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:51 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,672,300 times
Powhatan Renape Nation American Indian Museum

Old 03-20-2008, 09:53 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,002 times
Powhatan Renape Nation American Indian Museum

eta: you beat me to it!

Last edited by brook2ga; 03-20-2008 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: too slow!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:59 AM

Default perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post

This is perfect, thanks so much!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:03 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,611,115 times
Sarah - you may want to take them to Waterloo Village as well. Nice day out - old colonial style village where everyone dresses up...nice tour of the village and if you're lucky, you might catch the Beer festival or wine festival they have that time of the year over there. Not far from you.... just outside of hackettstown up waterloo road.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:26 AM

Default is this the right place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Sarah - you may want to take them to Waterloo Village as well. Nice day out - old colonial style village where everyone dresses up...nice tour of the village and if you're lucky, you might catch the Beer festival or wine festival they have that time of the year over there. Not far from you.... just outside of hackettstown up waterloo road.
NJDEP-Parks and Forests (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/waterloo-publicmeeting.htm - broken link)

if so it looks like it may have closed which would be a real shame.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw View Post
NJDEP-Parks and Forests (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/waterloo-publicmeeting.htm - broken link)

if so it looks like it may have closed which would be a real shame.
That article looks like it is from 2006 so I will check it out and see if it is reopened or not. I was planning on bringing the Scottish visitor's there this year ; ( I'll let you know what I find out. I also found a British pub and brewery for you in Delaware Water gap area..really nice area.Indian Village at Waterloo Village

Old 03-20-2008, 10:38 AM

I was reading that article I sent you... this is my area and I found arrowheads when I was installing my pool..too cool!Archeological sites have yielded a multitude of artifacts that inform us of their culture. The most remarkable local excavation occurred over a seven year period at a place called Dark Moon in Frelinghuysen Township.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:48 AM

This is practically in my back yard and it is a beautiful place to take them. jenny Jump State Park. Story is that it was named after an Indian woman named "Jenny" (Obvious I know). She was being chased by soldiers and rather than let her be caught, her father told her to jump. It really is a beautiful park and you can take them over to see the wolves in Knowlton afterwards. They may even catch a glimpse of a Bear at that park - very common around here. Department of Environmental Protection

Old 03-20-2008, 11:00 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
This is practically in my back yard and it is a beautiful place to take them. jenny Jump State Park. Story is that it was named after an Indian woman named "Jenny" (Obvious I know). She was being chased by soldiers and rather than let her be caught, her father told her to jump. It really is a beautiful park and you can take them over to see the wolves in Knowlton afterwards. They may even catch a glimpse of a Bear at that park - very common around here. Department of Environmental Protection

We've been looking for something to do over the spring break so I might go there this weekend, it looks beautiful. I definitely want to take my family to the Delaware water gap, I have yet to visit so it will be new to me too and it beats seeing the empire state building AGAIN haha)
Have you ever been to the Duke estate? My mum is a typical Brit and loves her gardening so I was thinking that would been nice for her. Longwood garden in PA looks fabulous but she is getting on a bit and gets tired easily so it might be too much/too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey