Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,254 times

Advertisements

Need help finding a very safe place to live up to 30 minutes away from Newark. I am a new masters student, and have been having a hard time finding where to live. I am looking for a safe, pet friendly studio apartment for me and my small dog. I am a young woman. I am not interested in living in Newark due to crime. My budget is up to $1800/mo. PLEASE HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 05:11 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepperbb View Post
Need help finding a very safe place to live up to 30 minutes away from Newark. I am a new masters student, and have been having a hard time finding where to live. I am looking for a safe, pet friendly studio apartment for me and my small dog. I am a young woman. I am not interested in living in Newark due to crime. My budget is up to $1800/mo. PLEASE HELP!!!
Depends how tough your skin is. There's lots of towns that fit within your budget that have a wide variety of personalities within 30 min.

If you have a dog that barks, you might want to consider a high rise, concrete floor apt.

Living next to a barking dog in an apartment building is basically intolerable, but people still move with dogs.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:18 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
There was a lot of good advice in that other thread you posted in. You'll get mostly the same answers here. It's a shame how hard it is to find apartments that allow dogs.

A few random finds from craigslist in South Orange and Maplewood, just because those are the towns I know:

This one in South Orange looks promising, and the price is reasonable. If it's the building I'm thinking of, it seems very well maintained. https://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa...531711358.html

It may be gone by now, but I'd call that landlord and ask if he knows of any other apartments. There are a lot of small apartment buildings in that neighborhood and I'll bet the landlords all know each other.

Try posting a housing-wanted ad in craigslist. That's how I find a lot of my tenants.

Maplewood -- There are several modern but affordable apartment complexes in Maplewood near the Newark border. Good for your commute.

This building just opened. They seem to be running some specials to fill it up. https://www.avaloncommunities.com/ne...alon-maplewood

Pet-friendly: https://gardensatmaplewood.com/gallery/

Dogs up to 35 pounds: Welcome to Maplewood Crossing Properties

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa...575308826.html

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa...569344664.html

Old 05-02-2018, 04:14 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepperbb View Post
you could live as a far south as Fords, in the area along new Brunswick avenue or king George road near the turnpike entrance. Easy 30 minute commute. So don't lock yourself into the other towns mentioned. Especially good if you can juggle commuting times to avoid traffic rush.

RU should have some res life position that provides housing. Look for an op to get into the RU system that provides onsite housing.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:54 PM

280 posts, read 339,197 times
Have you looked at Harrison? I have lots of friends 20s-30s that have moved to really gorgeous places in Harrison. It's certainly up and coming. and I know they have pets (cats).

Old 05-03-2018, 09:34 AM

962 posts, read 540,945 times
Look for places along the PATH train (i.e. Harrison, Journal Square, downtown JC, Hoboken). Also, don't discredit the Ironbound in Newark. It's a fun place to go out, and it is pretty safe.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:27 AM

141 posts, read 243,826 times
Springfield, NJ

Old 05-08-2018, 07:52 AM

538 posts, read 733,217 times
I would probably focus first on South Orange. There's plenty of student-focused housing as a result of Seton Hall being in town and it should be a pretty easy commute along 280 (or just take South Orange Ave).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey