Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 09:40 PM

12 posts, read 51,313 times

Advertisements

I have been reading this board for a few months now anticipating the opportunity to ask a question of my own. I have accepted an engineering position over at Fort Monmouth (know that the job will be moving to APG, Maryland - lived there before, okay with this). I will start working sometime in May.

Today hubby and I went over to the area to look around.

When we decided to visit, I was looking into the Avalon communities because I like the amenities; however, was disappointed that these apartments are located on the GSP (and will require me to drive 20 mins to the fort).

I am African American, thus I have to have some sense of "vibe" and "acceptance" wherever I move. My military husband will not be relocating with me for the commute to JFK, where he is stationed, is going to be too difficult for him. So, I am looking for a family friendly, professional demographic area that my 4 year old son and I can reside.

Because my husband will be retiring from the USArmy in 2010 (with 24 years)and my job will be moving to APG, my son will not be affected too much by the school system (except kindergarten). So, this will not be too much of a problem.

I have read some of the previous posts and see Long Branch (where Monmouth Mall is - seems like my pace), Little Silver (though looks very quiet) as suggestions of cities near the fort, and I think Eatontown looks okay. However, I didn't see any apartments in Eatontown that piqued my interest and matched my taste. I am looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment and over 1200 sqft. No more than $2300 per month in rental cost.

While leaving the area, I spoke about possibly renting out a home; however, if I decide to do this, I definitely need to reside in a good neighborhood since hubby won't be there during the weekday.

Thank you so much for reading and responding.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

ArmyWife, MBA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 12:36 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Long Branch, West Long Branch, Red Bank are places to check out. Fair Haven has about the same pace as Little Silver. It is next to Red Bank and Little Silver, was historically a local center of African Americans and has a small and diminishing African American population, but I understand that property values have recently skyrocketed. Ask your realtor.

If you like the beach, check out Sea Bright and Monmouth Beach, just north of Long Branch. Also Oceanport, which is actually off the coast but by Monmouth Park, the racetrack. Oceanport is also the home of Delicious Orchards, with their wonderful apples, ciders, pies and donuts.

Oh, and Ocean Township!

BTW, Monmouth Mall is actually in Eatontown.

Sorry your family has to endure this separation. Sounds tough. Good luck to the three of you!

Last edited by Carbro; 03-30-2008 at 01:06 AM..

Old 03-30-2008, 07:03 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,403 times
We actually lived in Eatontown for awhile. I like it there - if you don't like the apartments maybe you can look into renting a townhouse. We owed in Brookwood in Eatontown.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:47 AM

49 posts, read 196,926 times
Default Don't Badmouth Eatontown

NJT here in Keller,Tx. My wife and I lived in Eatontown together from 1992 to 2005. I lived there from 1977.
I always appreciated the area and the local color. The boardwalk and the ocean was always real close. When you wanted to get a "whiff" of the ocean air. As clean as it might be. When we lived off of 1st Ave. You had a pretty secure sense of security because you had alot of neighbors in close proximity. And you knew most of them either by sight or personally. We lived right on the cornor and had 4 dogs, so there was no chance of getting broken into anyways. We still have 4 dogs here in Texas, so theres no chance of that here either.
Hey on another note. Today I noticed in the local Monmouth County wheather its 39 degrees. Here in DFW its going to be 80.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 AM

Default Thank You For Responses

Carbro - I didn't realize that Fort Monmouth Mall is in Eatontown. Thanks for letting me know this. So, based on this information I definitely need to check out this city for rentals. Though I like Long Branch description too (I do like the beach - though I can't swim). Yes, the separation is going to be tough especially for the little one. Hubby just returned from a 15 month overseas tour last June. But, I have put my career on hold for two years. Since he is retiring soon; I need to make sure I secure a future for myself. I didn't get all those degrees (I have three and working on PhD now) to sit at home. So, I definitely thank you for your well wishes.

GJM - Yes, I am thinking that we may have to look into apt/house/townhome rentals. Though our things will be divided between two households, I will have the child, and folks know how much stuff they can have.

NJ Texan - I think in Fort Monmouth area it is cooler because of the beaches. Yesterday, traveling from Long Island to the FM area, I noticed that the temperature changed. I am sure you are enjoying that summer like weather. Having grown up in NC, I particularly like 70-80 degree weather, but not above that...too hot for me. We were slotted to be stationed at Fort Hood, TX, but hubby didn't want to go there. He lucked up and got JFK (he's from Queens, NY) so we came here instead. Though I didn't like NYC area, Long Island is cool, thus, I would love to live in a similar type environment in the Fort Monmouth area.

Thanks everyone. I now feel a lot better than I felt yesterday. Moving at be so stressful. Based on the feedback I have been receiving, sounds like Eatontown and Long Branch will be a good place to live. I will check them both out.

Sincerely,

ArmyWife, MBA

Old 03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,403 times
Eatontown is only about a 10-15 minute ride to the beach. My husband and I use to go all the time when living in Eatontown. We actually lived in the Army housing for awhile off of the base. He was stationed at McGuire AFB and I worked in Hackensack, so it was the middle for us.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,665 times
Smile Hi, Welcome to Jersey

I live in Ocean Township which is just south of West Long Branch and Eatontown. I have lived here for over ten years. I love the towns around here. West Long Branch in nice. Long Branch is closer to the ocean and every year we get a little over run with all the vacationers. I live a mile from the beach and our population seems to double in the summer. That is my only beef with this area.
The schools in West Long Branch and Eatontown are great. My kids are into sports so we get to check out all the other schools.
The Monmouth Mall is great. We have great parks and beaches. All though growing up in San Diego I still can't get over the fact beaches aren't free here.
The area is safe no particular gangs or anything. I have an 18 yr old daughter who just started driving I feel safe with her in these areas.
Little Silver is a small town . I agree. Tinton Falls is a great place too. Only 5-10 minutes from the base.
There is so much to do here with little kids. I have a 4 yr old son. We go to the Popcorn park zoo. Its south on the parkway around exit 74. Its a small zoo that the spca has. Don't get me wrong.
They have lions and tigers and bears and camels , sheep goats and lots of other animals. It's inexpensive and a great day. Pack a lunch and picnic outside on tables with peacocks watching you eat.
Good luck

Old 04-14-2008, 12:38 PM

Thumbs up Thanks, Tamie

Your description of the area sounds great. I did get an opportunity to visit the area for that one day and I know that I will like the overall area. I did get a sense that there are much things for my son to participate in. We are trying to decide if my step daugther (16) will be moving with us from SC. The area looks like she will enjoy being there too.

Right now I am waiting on my government secret security clearance, so I have halted looking for a place. Because I don't know exactly how long the process is going to take before I actually start working at Fort Monmouth, I don't think I will waste my time looking, deciding on a place, and not be able to move right now.

I think I am going to try to rent a 3 BR house, closer to the Naval Base. Based on the map, (haven't checked the area yet), Tinton Falls is going to be the best location.

Again, thanks everyone.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:42 PM

27 posts, read 150,241 times
Default West Long Branch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWifeMBA View Post
I have been reading this board for a few months now anticipating the opportunity to ask a question of my own. I have accepted an engineering position over at Fort Monmouth (know that the job will be moving to APG, Maryland - lived there before, okay with this). I will start working sometime in May.

Today hubby and I went over to the area to look around.

When we decided to visit, I was looking into the Avalon communities because I like the amenities; however, was disappointed that these apartments are located on the GSP (and will require me to drive 20 mins to the fort).

I am African American, thus I have to have some sense of "vibe" and "acceptance" wherever I move. My military husband will not be relocating with me for the commute to JFK, where he is stationed, is going to be too difficult for him. So, I am looking for a family friendly, professional demographic area that my 4 year old son and I can reside.

Because my husband will be retiring from the USArmy in 2010 (with 24 years)and my job will be moving to APG, my son will not be affected too much by the school system (except kindergarten). So, this will not be too much of a problem.

I have read some of the previous posts and see Long Branch (where Monmouth Mall is - seems like my pace), Little Silver (though looks very quiet) as suggestions of cities near the fort, and I think Eatontown looks okay. However, I didn't see any apartments in Eatontown that piqued my interest and matched my taste. I am looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment and over 1200 sqft. No more than $2300 per month in rental cost.

While leaving the area, I spoke about possibly renting out a home; however, if I decide to do this, I definitely need to reside in a good neighborhood since hubby won't be there during the weekday.

Thank you so much for reading and responding.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

ArmyWife, MBA
try west Long Branch! They have great schools, nicer area and less crime than Long Branch, and a great place to raise your children. Holmdel is a little bit on the expensive side, but try there too, easy transportation to north and south jersey via GS Parkway and NYC via Long Branch Ferry. Also give Lincroft, Shrewsbury, Little Silver and Tinton Falls a try. Have fun house-hunting and have a good move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey