Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 7,891 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to Tenafly later this year. Having lived in the city for last several years we like the public parks/playgrounds and the social networking that happens around them. On one of our visits we noticed Roosevelt park happened to have a nice energy around it. Are there other such parks/playgrounds in Tenafly? Also, my broker maintains that the commute to PA using the express bus is under 45 minutes on most days. Are there any regular commuters on this forum who can attest to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 07:22 AM

332 posts, read 523,202 times
IMHO, no. People just don't use the playgrounds here like in the city. And really why would you when you can just play with your friends on your block, on your backyard swingset, etc?

The bus is less than 45 minutes if you are on the bus at 645 or so. Any later and it starts to hit traffic. At night it's usually about 45-50 minutes. Worse around the holidays and in late spring for some reason.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:06 AM

12 posts, read 10,793 times
Yes and no - to both of your question. You will see some kids at the parks and playgrounds - but not a ton. More of the preschool/toddler set at Froggy and Roosevelt. But truth be told, I don't even see many kids playing on the block. I agree that they have gone to their own backyards. Which is fine - but certainly a different time from when you'd see tons of kids out on their bikes or playing out in the neighborhood, etc.

The thing that struck me when I first moved to town was the lack of kids out and about. I saw the signs of them...basketball hoops, or swingsets that poked up above fences, but I so rarely heard or saw the kids. But I don't think that's an issue with Tenafly so much as it is an issue with a sign of the times. Between scheduled activities, for-profit sports leagues, club memberships, etc, things have just changed.

The bus is about 45 minutes coming home on average. Add 10-15 minutes some days. Going into the city is a whole different story. Leave early and it is 45 minutes. Any later, and you're averaging an hour and upwards. Tack on then time to travel from PA to your office. THAT is your commute. Don't listen to the realtors who say 45 minutes into the city. They aren't taking it every day and are reading a bus schedule.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:12 AM

Also - I saw your other post about the elementary schools. They are absolutely fantastic.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 7,891 times
Thanks vondakay, tubulus!

I have a follow-up question about the schools. One of my friends lives in Montclair and he mentioned how the Parent's Assoc was very involved in the school and there are several events that are planned during the school year where a fair amount of socializing happens. Is that also the case in Tenafly? My son will start 1st or 2nd grade in Tenafly, depending on when we do make the move. Are there any parents with kids in that age group that you guys might know of who would be willing to speak to me about general questions that I have about schools, events and such? Also, what kind of organized sports/extra curricular activities are popular in Tenafly?

Appreciate your help!

Last edited by seanhuang; 08-14-2018 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 10:49 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,500,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhuang View Post
Thanks vondakay, tubulus!

I have a follow-up question about the schools. One of my friends lives in Montclair and he mentioned how the Parent's Assoc was very involved in the school and there are several events that are planned during the school year where a fair amount of socializing happens. Is that also the case in Tenafly? My son will start 1st or 2nd grade in Tenafly, depending on when we do make the move. Are there any parents with kids in that age group that you guys might know of who would be willing to speak to me about general questions that I have about schools, events and such? Also, what kind of organized sports/extra curricular activities are popular in Tenafly?

Appreciate your help!
I would contact the school where your son will go. Ask if you can have the contact information of the president of the PTA/PTO (tell them why obviously). They are the folks who are on top of all this stuff and can probably even hook you up with a parent in your son's grade to be a resource for you

Old 08-14-2018, 10:49 AM

In Tenafly the Parent's association is known as the HSA. All of the schools have opportunities to get involved and volunteer. There are 4 elementary schools, each of which have different programming, but rely on volunteers to get it done. So whether you're an HSA officer, or a volunteer for a committee, there's plenty of opportunity. Combine that with classroom celebrations (halloween, holiday, etc) there are plenty of opportunities to meet other parents of kids your age. Where the relationship goes from there is up to you, obviously, and in my experience requires you to be fairly proactive in establishing those relationships. But yes, there are plenty of opportunities to meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey