Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:21 AM

856 posts, read 705,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Why did you even bother to apologize?

They are dumb. It's just a fact. They voted an idiot in to office who ran on a platform to raise taxes in the state of NJ.

That's California type voter STUPID.
Some are, some aren't. I don't like painting with a broad brush. But you are right, in my opinion, the Murphy tax increases will lead to continued outward migration and job losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
The last governor that I actually like was Tom Kean, who phrased the saying "New Jersey and you- Perfect together" Look at most of them that we elected. Murphy, Christie, Corzine, Whitman, Florio, Byrne - not much to get excited about it that bunch.
Interesting!

I believe Tom Kean Sr. was the most successful Governor, in terms of accomplishments, in recent history for a few reasons. Whether or not one agrees with the policies are not is a different debate, but Kean Sr. implemented welfare reform that served as a model for federal welfare reform, passed several education reform efforts, enacted bold environmental protections, and established the Transportation Trust Fund.

I also have to give Governor Christie credit as well, as he did accomplish some major things. He managed to pass a property tax cap, an interest arbitration cap, pension and benefits reform, the Dream Act, and even though I strongly disagree with him, passing the gas tax hike to fund infrastructure investments was a big accomplishment.

For me personally, I believe Christie Todd Whitman was the best Governor in terms of policy in recent history. While I strongly disagree with Whitman skipping partial pension payments, I believe her across-the-board income tax cuts, reduction in property taxes, and leaving office with a $1 billion surplus were the right policies for New Jersey's economy.

Unfortunately, Former Governor McGreevey came into office and undid much of the good Whitman did by doubling taxes on businesses, did nothing to control the growth of property taxes following Whitman's 1999 property tax reduction, and enacted the Highlands Act which has adversely impacted the northwestern part of the state in terms of economics.

Unfortunately, Governor Murphy seems to be doubling-down on the failed borrow, spend, and tax policies of the last decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 08:05 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
I thought you guys were getting legal weed

What happened

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-23-2018, 10:36 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,629,764 times
Default While I strongly disagree with Whitman skipping partial pension payments, I believe her across-the-board income tax cuts

Whitmans tax cuts were a scam and put this state in the financial hole that it is. Taking money from the pension system 20 years ago to give a select bunch a small income tax break started the whole mess that we are in. It was fully funded and the one shot gimmicks messed up this state. Don't get me started when she headed the EPA and said the air was fine to breath after 9/11. That caused hundreds of people to die since then from cancer and has cost the federal govt. billions.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:59 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
The one thing that irks me is the annual $5 million scholarship program (of our tax money) he set up in order to increase liberal jornalists. He will hold 2 of the 5 seats to decide who gets the scholarshops.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:45 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,325,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
In my opinion, Governor Phil Murphy's first seven months in office have featured the Governor being overly critical his predecessor (who I am not a huge fan of) at every turn, disagreements with the legislature despite his own party holding a majority in both houses, and public policies being implemented that will increase the cost of living in New Jersey and hurt our state's economy.

Agree with me? Disagree with me? Below are sources and articles to back up my claims.

Murphy's first seven months have included:

1. A budget filled with higher taxes and new government spending - 75% of CPAs say Murphy's budget will hurt New Jersey's economy

Source #1: https://www.cagw.org/thewastewatcher...-tax-increases

Source #2: https://njbmagazine.com/njb-news-now...ver-long-term/

2. A policy granting financial aid to the children of illegal immigrants at public colleges even as legal immigrants struggle to afford the cost of living in New Jersey

Source: https://www.nj.com/politics/index.ss...D1502400015846

3. A return to a cap & trade program that will increase energy costs

Source: https://savejersey.com/2018/01/phil-...lectric-bills/

4. Preserving Obamacare's individual mandate in place in New Jersey, placing yet another burden on New Jersey's already over taxed people

Source: https://www.axios.com/new-jersey-pus...d9452d284.html

5. A failure to renew a cap on arbitration awards, which will increase local property taxes

Source: https://www.app.com/story/opinion/co...cap/569200002/

NJ going further towards insolvency is exactly the direction that our well-educated voters always move towards. In a way it is a joy to watch.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:47 PM

856 posts, read 705,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Whitmans tax cuts were a scam and put this state in the financial hole that it is. Taking money from the pension system 20 years ago to give a select bunch a small income tax break started the whole mess that we are in. It was fully funded and the one shot gimmicks messed up this state. Don't get me started when she headed the EPA and said the air was fine to breath after 9/11. That caused hundreds of people to die since then from cancer and has cost the federal govt. billions.
Like I said, I disagreed with how she handled the pension system. But I think she did the right thing by cutting taxes across-the-board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The one thing that irks me is the annual $5 million scholarship program (of our tax money) he set up in order to increase liberal jornalists. He will hold 2 of the 5 seats to decide who gets the scholarshops.
I believe Phil Murphy wants to be President of the United States, and he is governing to the far left in order to be a progressive hero.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:28 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I thought you guys were getting legal weed

What happened
The PTB "thought" about it after it got their guy in office.

They don't want the headaches that will come with the legalization of in their towns & cities.

But it was a great platform for the libs & Murphy's Teeth to run on, while he also promised to raise taxes in every other way shape & form & even worse? To make the state of NJ a "sanctuary state".

To legalize pot was a distraction from every other issue he promised to screw NJ residents over with.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:40 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Ok, I’ll debate...
1- what do cpa’s Know about government economics? They know about taxation and valuation of companies and depreciation. Now if they had surveyed economists I’d read the article..
2- legal immigrants as well as citizens are eligible for state financial aid. Illegal immigrants need to show tax returns or show that they are on govt assistance in order to be eligible. How many do you think file? Undocumented are not eligible for govt assistance. Also undocumented are not eligible for the bulk of govt financial aid which through fafsa, the state part is much smaller. Irl to get federal grants your income needs to be VERY low.
3- don’t know enough
4- all citizens should have some affordable healthcare. If other states don’t think so then shame on their elected officials. If it is not mandated then the younger people will not opt into the pool and drive up costs. Maybe Nj should create it own exchange? I don’t know. The opt out of Obamacare without the penalty will not be in effect until next year so let’s see how things play out.
4- let’s see if this means everyone gets big raises and taxes rise because of contract negotiations. My guess is that it won’t happen because citizens don’t have an appetite for it. If a town needs to raise taxes to pay off pension obligations or big lawsuits or because a large Corp closes its location and no longer contributes to the tax base well then taxes are going to increase if we have that law or not. Either that or you start laying off cops, closing fire stations and reducing garbage collection.
+1 . Only thing I would add is you can't blame the new elected Governor for doing what he said he would do after only being in Office for 6 months when the problems have been on going in NJ for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey