Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 07:20 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,495,895 times

Advertisements

Whenever the weather gets better in NJ from winter to spring, everywhere outdoorsy place you go (such as a park) will be super busy, because people have that spring fever. But when you driver anywhere during the spring fever period, the drivers become more aggressive. When the weather has been warm for a long time, things begin to settle down. Outdoorsy places get less busy, the drivers are supposed to be less aggressive, and also traffic dies down from people settling down and going down to the shore. This summer has been a pretty odd summer with the drivers. None of the drivers settled down even though the weather has been warm for a month (maybe month + 1/2 month) so far. Well actually, yesterday, was the officialy first day of summer. Here are things I have noticed about the NJ drivers this year since the weather got warm:

1. Have you noticed that when people want to make a turn, they roll through it fast, instead of slowing down or stopping? Most of us don't obey stop signs (depending on the road), but just don't roll through making a turn at full speed. Sheesh, at least slow down. It's so selfish. We all have to brake for you, because your selfish ass suddenly rolled through a turn.

2. Slow drivers. People are so inconsiderate. Do you not have a rear view mirror and realize that the road is the public and not yours? We have a lot of slow drivers in NJ, because I think there are way too many old people in this state. I could always tell by how they just sink down in their seats. I really should live in a different state that has a lot of young people. Old people in every strip mall I go to. A lot NJ's old people don't look mentally awake. We have such an aging population. Actually, texting and driving causes people to drive slow, because it makes them less tempted to hit the gas. I think that's the reason why NJ has been putting up texting and driving warnings. I went to visit Belize, and it is considered normal for drivers to pass the slower driver in front of them by crossing the yellow line. I went to get my car inspected today and the driver in front of me took too long to pick up his ticket at the gate, because he was distracted on his phone.

3. Why can't anyone react fast enough to green light. I know I sound arrogant, but I mostly have my eyes on traffic lights and I am always first to react to one. You're holding up the line and then when one takes too long to react, it causes more time (in the domino effect) for the people in line to let go of their brakes.

4. As I mentioned, the state has too many old people, but before the weather got warm, I noticed during this year and last year, many NJ drivers crashed into stores, because they mistaken the gas as brakes. It seems like it's always caused by neuropathic feet from diabetes. My mom's (not old, she is 55) diabetic and has neuropathy in her feet, but she doesn't go crashing into stores like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 09:03 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Bored?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Bored?
Twenty.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:52 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Twenty.
I was thinking a year younger, but not a lot of difference.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:27 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,532,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Whenever the weather gets better in NJ from winter to spring, everywhere outdoorsy place you go (such as a park) will be super busy, because people have that spring fever. But when you driver anywhere during the spring fever period, the drivers become more aggressive. When the weather has been warm for a long time, things begin to settle down. Outdoorsy places get less busy, the drivers are supposed to be less aggressive, and also traffic dies down from people settling down and going down to the shore. This summer has been a pretty odd summer with the drivers. None of the drivers settled down even though the weather has been warm for a month (maybe month + 1/2 month) so far. Well actually, yesterday, was the officialy first day of summer. Here are things I have noticed about the NJ drivers this year since the weather got warm:

1. Have you noticed that when people want to make a turn, they roll through it fast, instead of slowing down or stopping? Most of us don't obey stop signs (depending on the road), but just don't roll through making a turn at full speed. Sheesh, at least slow down. It's so selfish. We all have to brake for you, because your selfish ass suddenly rolled through a turn.

2. Slow drivers. People are so inconsiderate. Do you not have a rear view mirror and realize that the road is the public and not yours? We have a lot of slow drivers in NJ, because I think there are way too many old people in this state. I could always tell by how they just sink down in their seats. I really should live in a different state that has a lot of young people. Old people in every strip mall I go to. A lot NJ's old people don't look mentally awake. We have such an aging population. Actually, texting and driving causes people to drive slow, because it makes them less tempted to hit the gas. I think that's the reason why NJ has been putting up texting and driving warnings. I went to visit Belize, and it is considered normal for drivers to pass the slower driver in front of them by crossing the yellow line. I went to get my car inspected today and the driver in front of me took too long to pick up his ticket at the gate, because he was distracted on his phone.

3. Why can't anyone react fast enough to green light. I know I sound arrogant, but I mostly have my eyes on traffic lights and I am always first to react to one. You're holding up the line and then when one takes too long to react, it causes more time (in the domino effect) for the people in line to let go of their brakes.

Maybe they don't react fast enough because they are looking at their cell phones?

4. As I mentioned, the state has too many old people, but before the weather got warm, I noticed during this year and last year, many NJ drivers crashed into stores, because they mistaken the gas as brakes. It seems like it's always caused by neuropathic feet from diabetes. My mom's (not old, she is 55) diabetic and has neuropathy in her feet, but she doesn't go crashing into stores like that.
Someday, hopefully you will be old too. You'll slow down, your body won't bend as easily and if you drive your driving may be a little worse. Also, someday when your old and gray, you will have more experience and may not make the mistakes a younger driver makes. You may even learn a little patience.

I've been a professional driver for over 20yrs, yes sometimes I get a bit impatient with the incompentence I see on the road. The cell phones, make-up, saw someone who appeared to be eating a bowl of cereal driving down the interstate. Hey, a sandwich maybe but a bowl of oatmeal???

The biggest thing I think is that people are not taught HOW to drive, yeah they can steer and brake, etc. It seems they are only taught how to PASS the driver's test. Then they go merrily on their way, maybe if they get too many points they'll have to take some kind of remedial driving course and maybe they'll learn something.

I'd just suggest having a little patience, really, what happens if you get to your destination 5 minutes later? If it's something serious leave 5 minutes earlier. You may arrive less stressed.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:51 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Someday, hopefully you will be old too. You'll slow down, your body won't bend as easily and if you drive your driving may be a little worse. Also, someday when your old and gray, you will have more experience and may not make the mistakes a younger driver makes. You may even learn a little patience.

I've been a professional driver for over 20yrs, yes sometimes I get a bit impatient with the incompentence I see on the road. The cell phones, make-up, saw someone who appeared to be eating a bowl of cereal driving down the interstate. Hey, a sandwich maybe but a bowl of oatmeal???

The biggest thing I think is that people are not taught HOW to drive, yeah they can steer and brake, etc. It seems they are only taught how to PASS the driver's test. Then they go merrily on their way, maybe if they get too many points they'll have to take some kind of remedial driving course and maybe they'll learn something.

I'd just suggest having a little patience, really, what happens if you get to your destination 5 minutes later? If it's something serious leave 5 minutes earlier. You may arrive less stressed.
+1 ,great response but the OP doesn't deserve it.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:49 AM

708 posts, read 1,060,688 times
I really don't think it a NJ thing. Yes, I get frustrated every day on Rt 80 by what I see. But this kind of bad driving is happening all over the country. Visit another states board and with a little searching you will probably find a thread similar to this. I have seen one each for Texas and Connecticut. I'm sure there are others. The best thing to do is not take anything anyone does personally and let the minor things go. Hope you have a happy safe weekend!

Old 06-23-2018, 06:11 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Police lulling drivers into a false sense of security.

Hierarchy of fines ordered by monetary contribution to municipal coffers rather than public safety

Plant the stories about slow drivers who fail to make way for speeding lawbreakers. Impeding speeders puts a dent in the lucrative municipal funding efforts that traffic infractions provide.

Police train drivers to blow thru stop signs so when other 'violations' slow down they can be assured of snagging prey at stop signs. All of this of course places public safety behind the need for municipal funding.

Actually as NJ is a corridor state, it is inappropriate to make a claim against Nj drivers. The Title should read, the selfishness of 'people who drive in NJ', to be inclusive of out of state drivers.

The fluctuation in speed is entirely due to drivers lamenting the passage of the gas tax, which we collectively find to be a betrayal by both political parties. Driver gases up, leaves the station pizzed at the cost of gas, so they speed up in anger. When they drive further they sink into deep depression, wondering how to reach voters who actually live on Mars but reside in NJ to be close to NYC, as it is they who embrace high taxes and elect goldman sachs CEOs from the same alien planet.

All anecdotal observations expressed in the op easily explainable.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:04 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,575,366 times
Oh, here we go.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:20 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Oh, here we go.

Yup!
Apparently, the OP's latest post is today's installment in his ongoing saga that is entitled... Somebody was mean to me today...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey