Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:41 AM

3 posts, read 35,253 times

Advertisements

We are looking at houses and our realestate agent wants to show houses in Parlin.. We are hearing mix reviews. Some say good place and some say bad area. Crime?

Where would you recommend to live? Old bridge, Hazlet, Spotswood, E&S brunswick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 07:44 AM

531 posts, read 2,149,844 times
Parlin is part of Sayreville. I've heard good things about Parlin. Most of Sayreville is fine too, just don't live near Winding Woods. That's where the crime is. Parlin should be fine.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:00 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,973 times
Agreed. Almost all of Sayreville and Parlin is safe. The only thing that is lacking is the school system. It is not one of the best in the county.

If schools are a main concern then you want to be in either East Brunswick or South Brunswick but prepare to pay higher taxes than you would in Sayreville/Parlin.

Out of all of the towns you mentioned, Spotswood has the highest taxes for NO reason! I still do not understand why their taxes are so high.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:15 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,305 times
Nice little town. We lived there for 4 1/2 years, and we liked it there. The people are just great--very down to earth, salt of the earth types. We moved because we wanted to be in a better school district.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:27 PM

Thanks for everyone's input... Parlin seems to be a town we would enjoy but the poor school systems scare me a little..
How is Old Bridge school system? the same

Old 03-22-2008, 06:44 AM

687 posts, read 3,251,305 times
Quote:
the poor school systems scare me a little..
The schools aren't poor--they're just not among the best schools in the Middlesex/Monmouth areas. Many kids go through the Sayreville system and thrive. The high school just completed phase one of a huge rennovation, there are tons of extra-curriculars, the community is very supportive of the HS sports teams. Seriously, it is a nice place to live.

A lot depends on your budget--if you can afford a better district (an East or South Brunswick, a Holmdel, etc...), then go with a better district.

As for Old Bridge, they're pretty comparable to Sayreville. Hazlet is also comparable. Sayreville is far from a Newark or a Camden (those are poor schools).

Old 03-23-2008, 07:52 AM

I think you are right I didn't come from "Blue Ribbon" school district and I did just fine.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:57 AM

161 posts, read 767,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
The schools aren't poor--they're just not among the best schools in the Middlesex/Monmouth areas. Many kids go through the Sayreville system and thrive. The high school just completed phase one of a huge rennovation, there are tons of extra-curriculars, the community is very supportive of the HS sports teams. Seriously, it is a nice place to live.
2 words

BON JOVI!!!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:58 AM

161 posts, read 767,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz39 View Post

Where would you recommend to live? Old bridge, Hazlet, Spotswood, E&S brunswick?
Hazlet is great (its where I just moved 6 months ago) Taxes are high though.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 11,684 times
I live in Sayreville myself ever since childhood. Although I plan on heading out of state for a better law school.

Sayreville has a few things to consider. Winding Woods, Winding River, and to a lesser extent, Morgan have a relatively safe neighborhood. Sayreville and Parlin however are by far the safest. You don't even need to lock your doors. Skytop however is the dumps.

The police are also pretty assertive, so that may be a plus or a negative. Sayreville and Parlin are also very quiet for suburbs, but I don't know whether it is the same case for Winding Woods, Winding River, and Morgan.

About the school system: The schools are all right, but Sayreville War Memorial high school always seems to produce a high quality and quantity of AP students. But whether an individual student will be AP is really based upon how the parents raised them more than anything. Typical television high school actually.

Last edited by QuoVadis; 03-23-2008 at 10:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey