Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 07:40 PM

12 posts, read 10,052 times

Advertisements

Ok so what I’m reading is that if I’m only going to be going out on weekends then I should move to the Princeton area close to my job but if I’m going into a major city more than on weekends (or have the option to do so) then I should try New Brunswick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 06:50 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
I would only move to New Brunswick if you think you would like to live in New Brunswick better. (which will involve visiting there and seeing it for yourself) I would go stay there for a weekend, maybe at that Hyatt in downtown, and get a real feel for the area. Make sure you think it's worth the extra commute

Old 10-02-2018, 07:06 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Commute from philly would be bad. Driving it’s an hour and in the winter maybe longer. Train would be limited to Amtrak, also an hour plus getting to and from the stations. You could take NJ transit from philly but then you’d have to get from Trenton to Princeton, not very realistic.
Correction. SEPTA (PA) transit from Trenton to philly.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:17 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
Plainsboro, West Windsor, Lawrenceville. Cranberry is a little small, but you may find something that takes pets. Somewhere between Route 1 and Route 130 or Route 1 and Route 206 or Route 27. When Plainsboro was first being developed, it was mainly an apartment community aimed at the yuppie/professional clientele. It's now evolved into a community of everything from Studios to Senior Living and everything in between. The nice thing is the open space, the proximity to Princeton, easy drive to Philly and the quick train to NYC. The traffic from New Brunswick or North Brunswick to Princeton will make you crazy~in the years that I lived there they added more lights, more businesses and more industrial parks and the traffic has just gotten worse. They are both gridlocked during rush hour and one weekends. Stay close to work and do your "playing" on weekends.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:33 PM

I agree. Personally, I can't imagine doing that drive just to live in New Brunswick of all places when I can get a nice apartment right around the Princeton area.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:39 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I agree. Personally, I can't imagine doing that drive just to live in New Brunswick of all places when I can get a nice apartment right around the Princeton area.
It's just one person's perspective. But I've hung out plenty in both cities (or towns).

All things equal, I prefer New Brunswick to Princeton.

There's more bars, there's a train station to get into NYC and there's a jazz scene.

Princeton has kind of a bar scene and the bars close early are spread out, and the train to the city is not convenient. I'm also a bit lower brow and Princeton is high brow.

I'm a drinker, or I was back then. I like to go drinking and bar hop and walk back to my apartment. If you time it just right, you can even get to midtown in an 1hr15 door to door. Princeton it'd be more like two hours.

So, that's the perspective I'm coming from.

Of course, if none of that stuff is appealing to you, then Princeton is good.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:37 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Just personal opinion, but I hate New Brunswick. At best it's a college town, but aside from the main drags it's pretty dumpy. Princeton, on the other hand, is beautiful all around. It also has a college in town but isn't as crime-ridden as New Brunswick. It has bars and whatnot too, but is also roughly equidistant (time-wise) to NYC and Philadelphia.

My dad worked in New Brunswick for 30+ years and the location was the thing he liked least about his job. It's just not a nice place.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:05 PM

I've lived in both areas too, for years, when I was young and used to go out

Dealing with the crime rate in New Brunswick doesn't make up for the few extra things there might be to do there. For me. And it's still an undergrad-focused area primarily

Old 10-03-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Just personal opinion, but I hate New Brunswick. At best it's a college town, but aside from the main drags it's pretty dumpy. Princeton, on the other hand, is beautiful all around. It also has a college in town but isn't as crime-ridden as New Brunswick. It has bars and whatnot too, but is also roughly equidistant (time-wise) to NYC and Philadelphia.

My dad worked in New Brunswick for 30+ years and the location was the thing he liked least about his job. It's just not a nice place.
I hate New Brunswick too. And I went to Rutgers. Maybe that's why!

Old 10-03-2018, 02:20 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I've lived in both areas too, for years, when I was young and used to go out

Dealing with the crime rate in New Brunswick doesn't make up for the few extra things there might be to do there. For me. And it's still an undergrad-focused area primarily
It's changed a lot probably since you went to school there. I've hung out there on a ton of weekends on George Street and never even once felt anything even close to threatened.

But anyway, this is not a mission for me.

If you guys think it's a sh@thole, I won't argue. It's not like I'm the mayor of New Brunswick or anything.

Princeton ain't too bad, we go there too. The canal is good to bike and jog. And Alchemist is probably better than anything New Brunswick has to offer.

Last edited by jobaba; 10-03-2018 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey