Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,820 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
There have been a few posts on the Allwood section of Clifton and how it's a nice area. What isn't said though is what defines "nice"? The aesthetics of the neighborhood? The neighbors? Crime? The community events, if any? We are considering a house in that area. We hear it's nice but feel of community is also important to us which is what had drawn us to the smaller towns. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 08:16 PM

175 posts, read 281,775 times
Nowhere in Clifton is desirable. I'd avoid Clifton as a whole since the schools are well below par, and higher than average crime. Not a good place to raise a family; Clifton is mostly urban with many apartments, duplexes, and smaller run down homes on small lots. Very close to Paterson and Passaic, two even worse towns.

I'd recommend Wayne Township, Little Falls, Woodland Pk. (formerly known as West Paterson), and Fairfield over Clifton. They are all middle class suburban towns near Clifton where it is much safer, schools are better, homes are on more property, overall better places to live.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,820 times
Default Thanks

Thanks. Yes, Allwood is definately not the only place we're looking. We are mainly looking in Bergen County but there happened to be chatter about the Allwood area. We just want a good place to raise a family. Thanks again.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:20 PM

362 posts, read 497,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
Nowhere in Clifton is desirable. I'd avoid Clifton as a whole since the schools are well below par, and higher than average crime. Not a good place to raise a family; Clifton is mostly urban with many apartments, duplexes, and smaller run down homes on small lots. Very close to Paterson and Passaic, two even worse towns.

I'd recommend Wayne Township, Little Falls, Woodland Pk. (formerly known as West Paterson), and Fairfield over Clifton. They are all middle class suburban towns near Clifton where it is much safer, schools are better, homes are on more property, overall better places to live.

Troll much? I have never heard anyone come out here and make an ignorant blanket statement like "Nowhere in Clifton is desirable" - until today. I also read your posts about Prince George's County in Maryland...trashing that area as well with a bunch of generalities. Seem like you have a history of this BS.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:46 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Kinda strange bashing Clifton and being OK with Woodland Park, which isn't that different.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:18 PM

114 posts, read 204,758 times
Quote:
Clifton is mostly urban with many apartments, duplexes, and smaller run down homes on small lots. Very close to Paterson and Passaic, two even worse towns.
OP asked about the Allwood section, to which that description mostly does not apply. I know, I’ve lived there. None of what you wrote drove my decision to leave. If one wants to avoid Paterson and Passaic, which is probably wise, Allwood is a pretty good choice. If I were to return to Clifton I’d probably look at the areas west of the Garden State Parkway, though, bordering Little Falls and Woodland Park.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:36 PM

175 posts, read 281,775 times
Still, although not every area in Clifton is "the ghetto", I wouldn't encourage anyone to move to Clifton. There are far better, safer options out there if you're middle class that are in the same area. Clifton's kind of a "last resort" type of, where you'd live if you can't quite afford to live in Wayne/Little Falls/Totowa/Fairfield/Woodland Park, but can do slightly better than Paterson or Passaic. Clifton has had some serious spillover from Paterson and Passaic, maybe even Newark as well, resulting in drug use, violent crime, gang activity. Clifton schools are rated 3/10 on GreatSchools.com, which is terrible and not too far from Abbott-level quality (meaning the worst in the state). The other towns I mentioned have ratings ranging from 6 to 8 stars out of 10.

I'm not trying to come off as snobbish, but as someone who'se lived in many different areas of north and central Jersey, Clifton is a very poorly regarded area, and only marginally better than Paterson.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:05 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Kinda strange bashing Clifton and being OK with Woodland Park, which isn't that different.
Well, Woodland Park is prettier.

It has woodlands. And rolling hills, gorgeous sunset views, and a mountain named after William McKinley's first VP.

But I moved out of West Pat (which it will always be to me) when my daughter was 4 because the schools in my Bergen County hometown were better.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, Woodland Park is prettier.

It has woodlands. And rolling hills, gorgeous sunset views, and a mountain named after William McKinley's first VP.
We lost Mt. McKinley, but we'll never lose Hobart's Gap or Garret Mountain!

Wait, Hobart's Gap wasn't named after Garret Hobart, and Garret Mountain isn't either. A small part of the mountain is in Clifton.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:57 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,143 times
Quote:

Clifton is not as terrible as you make it out to be. As a general rule, everything south of Paulison Ave. is ok, with Montclair Heights, Allwood and Rosemawr being the best sections. Clifton is a great option for young single commuters to Hudson County and the City, DINKS, and young families looking for a starter home for a few years.

I definitely agree that the schools are not the greatest, especially CHS.

As for your other recommendations, Woodland Park is on par and Little Falls is only slightly above Clifton. PVHS is not the greatest either. Wayne is in another socio-economic class altogether. Houses start at around 450K and almost everything under that is in a flood zone. The taxes in Wayne are OUTRAGEOUS, even by NJ standards. I seriously don't understand why that's so. Fairfield is also expensive (cheaper than North Caldwell or Essex Fells, but still) and not in the same socio-economic class as Clifton. Apples and Oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey