Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:01 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times

Advertisements

One of my best friends is a vet who trained at Penn. When she was doing her stint at New Bolton Center, the large animal facility of Penn, she took care of many horses. She said she'd never have believed how cruel the Amish were to their horses unless she'd seen it herself. I don't think it's just the dogs who suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 05:49 AM

323 posts, read 2,089,787 times
Seems like a worthwhile show....sorry I caught it a little late.

Shelters are where people should get animals..ADOPT!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:21 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
It seems so simple, right, but go to a dog park you will hear SO MANY of the people talking about "my breeder" this "my breeder" that.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 AM

857 posts, read 2,002,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
It seems so simple, right, but go to a dog park you will hear SO MANY of the people talking about "my breeder" this "my breeder" that.

Most people think dogs are a designer accessory. Little do they know, that $1000+ 'purebred' is really just 'inbred', and highly prone to genetic defects. Mutts are much healthier and cost nothing. Plus, you get the sense of self satisfaction that you saved a dog's life! Another status symbol to go along with the mercedes and the granite countertops. I just don't get people....

Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
Most people think dogs are a designer accessory. Little do they know, that $1000+ 'purebred' is really just 'inbred', and highly prone to genetic defects. Mutts are much healthier and cost nothing. Plus, you get the sense of self satisfaction that you saved a dog's life! Another status symbol to go along with the mercedes and the granite countertops. I just don't get people....
I don't think many people really take the time to research "breeding" and "puppy farms" because If they did, most would opt. to adopt a mutt. Ever see that ASPCA commercial with Sara McGlaughlin (sp?) - breaks my heart everytime. How can anyone watch that and not pick up the phone or run to the nearest shelter to adopt.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:38 AM

253 posts, read 1,267,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
to even think of having a pet...but I'm working on it. For my kids.

I NEVER watch Oprah, but I did this episode.

I thought it was interesting how the Amish in Lancaster County, Pa got a "pass" for running these puppy mills b/c "they don't understand" anything outside of their "relionesqe" way of living that dictates "man rules over animals".

Yeah, they do. They get it.

They also know that money is green and drive trucks to their little market (which is soooo overpriced but soooo worth it) in my nick of the woods (out of state for them).

Seeing those poor dogs was terrible and I wanted to run out and take all of them away from the idiots breeding/selling them....but then I saw the news after Oprah where some woman in NY beat her 7 WEEK OLD to the point that the baby is in the NICU and noone know if the baby will make it or not. I have a 12 week old. That woman is soooo lucky I wasn't one of her arresting cops. Not to mention she had just had an older child of hers taken away a few weeks ago...HELLO? Why leave an infant with the moron? Who are the morons in social services that thought this idiot was a GOOD parent?

Put a little perspective into things for me.

Whether it's the puppies or babies, anybody who tortures or brings pain to any living creature will get thiers or at least they need to. People are mean, cruel and evil and regardless of religious beliefs, I truly believe this is a sign of the times. People have gone crazy. - microwaving babies, beating up a 7 week old, torturing puppies, torturing grandparents....shooting rampages. It's a sick, sick world.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:46 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
Whether it's the puppies or babies, anybody who tortures or brings pain to any living creature will get thiers or at least they need to. People are mean, cruel and evil and regardless of religious beliefs, I truly believe this is a sign of the times. People have gone crazy. - microwaving babies, beating up a 7 week old, torturing puppies, torturing grandparents....shooting rampages. It's a sick, sick world.
I think it's probably always been a sick, sick world - it's just that we now have more access to the cruelty via the media, internet, etc. At least now people can see what happens and have the opportunity to change it. Thank you Oprah : )

Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times
I think it's great that these celebrities are bringing attention to the suffering going on in our backyards and all over the world. Too many Americans are unaware of some of these things and continue patronizing the pet stores and helping these puppy mills thrive.

Everytime I pass by the puppy stores I just want to ask these people selling the pups how they can live at night knowing these poor creatures are caged up all day and night in a 2' x 2' glass box. Some of these stores have the nerve to post the names of vets and 'so-called' breeders who 'raised' each pup.

God knows what happens to the poor pups who aren't bought 'cus they aren't cute enough!

Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 PM

253 posts, read 1,267,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I think it's great that these celebrities are bringing attention to the suffering going on in our backyards and all over the world. Too many Americans are unaware of some of these things and continue patronizing the pet stores and helping these puppy mills thrive.

Everytime I pass by the puppy stores I just want to ask these people selling the pups how they can live at night knowing these poor creatures are caged up all day and night in a 2' x 2' glass box. Some of these stores have the nerve to post the names of vets and 'so-called' breeders who 'raised' each pup.

God knows what happens to the poor pups who aren't bought 'cus they aren't cute enough!
I was under the impression that they had to let the pets out by law for exercise? That's not the case? I read the post about the puppy being let out and running in circles.....I would hope that's not the norm.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post

Don't even want to think about that
I do have a fave breed..the bulldog....but I rescue..both of my bullies have been rescues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey