Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 05:45 AM

2 posts, read 8,406 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are seriously considering moving to Westfield this summer, but are becoming concerned with recent news of anti semitism in schools. We are a Jewish family coming from a town with a fairly large Jewish population. We have 2 kids (elementary and middle school). Would like to hear from those who live in town. Will my kids be the only Jewish kids in class? Will they be accepted or do we have to worry about them feeling singled out? I know there has to be some Jewish population since there is a temple in town, but it is on the North side and we are looking on the South side. Appreciate your input!

Old 05-15-2019, 06:20 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
There is antisemitism everywhere in America these days, it seems

Old 05-15-2019, 06:53 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Why not telephone the local temple and ask the rabbi?

Old 05-15-2019, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,230 times
My wife and I moved to Westfield several months ago (and are Jewish). We don't have any children so I can't speak for the atmosphere in the schools but I have found the community to be welcoming. Several of my neighbors are Jewish and there seems to be a prospering Jewish community from my research and what I have seen.

There are 2 synagogues in town, Temple Emanu-El (reform) on the north side and Union County Torah Center (Chabad/Orthodox) on the south side. There is a kosher bakery (Bovellas) right in town that is always busy. During Purim, they have a huge display of hamentashens with at least a dozen types. By the end of the day, they are mostly sold out. They also sell Challah which I have seen people purchase multiple times. While Westfield does not have a kosher deli in town, there are 2 in neighboring towns (Deli King of Clark in Clark and Rye's Deli in Springfield).

There is a JCC in neighboring Scotch Plains which hosts a Jewish Film Festival in Westfield twice a year and has done so for 15 years. During Hanukkah, there is a menorah located next to the Christmas tree by the train station.

There is also a jewish population study from the Jewish federation from 2012, which is slightly outdated by this point but probably still accurate. From this report and what I have seen elsewhere, its likely that the Jewish population is around 18%-23% of the total population of Westfield.

https://www.jewishdatabank.org/conte...012Report1.pdf

https://www.jewishdatabank.org/conte...2SlideSet1.pdf

Naturally, it is up to you to make your own decisions, but I would recommend you reach out to the synagogue, JCC, etc if you are unsure. As another poster has said, unfortunately antisemitism is on the rise across the country but all of the incidents recently have likely been one or two stupid kids, and these types of things occur in all areas unfortunately. It is up to you to decide what you are comfortable with. Again, I don't have kids so I can't say, but if 20% of the town is Jewish, I would guess that there will be at least 2 or 3 other Jewish kids in each class on average.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:13 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
what level of jew are you? are we wearing yarmulkes around town, kosher, twirly sideburn hair?

a few people that are from my home town (marlboro, nj) live in westfield now and they are jewish. i doubt that they have any problems. they are pretend jewish like myself (but they pretend more than i do). so no yarmulkes or anything obvious.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
IMHO the only anti antisemitism around here is against the ultra conservative Jewish residents with customs and habits that seem very odd to the rest of us.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,406 times
Thank you all for your inputs! We are not very religious, but my children do identify as Jewish and we do observe holidays such as Hanukkah, Purim, Rosh Hashanah, etc. We just don't want them to feel different or like they are the only Jewish kids in town, and based on the feedback so far, sounds like they won't. Please keep the comments coming, I'd love to hear different perspectives!

Old 05-15-2019, 12:00 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times
I have seen Hasidic Jews in Westfield.

OP, you should fine!

Old 05-15-2019, 12:08 PM

35 posts, read 133,622 times
Hi, Westfield resident here. Very, very sad that those incidents took place. As others mentioned, there is a sizeable, active, and vibrant Jewish community in town, and I don't think these incidents represent the vibe here. Best wishes in your search!

Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Just from personal observation anti-semitism is stronger in the communites where 'diversity' is promoted (its paradoxical), or you have populations of younger academic left leaning types. Westfield is older white conservatives and is a safe place for Jewish people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey