Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 08:20 AM

275 posts, read 214,206 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Just posting this thread for conversational purposes and not from a (as a matter of fact) point of view.

I live in a working class neighborhood of Middlesex County. As of late, I have noticed that prices in my town, which is neither a desirable nor a complete dump town, have gone up and sales are going rather faster than usual. In my quest to find the reasons for such a change, I started digging prices in other areas. Since I bought my house in 2012 and shopped around in townships like Cranford, Metuchen, Westfield, and others, I somewhat remember the prices "back then". Just for fun, I kept reviewing prices every now and then in the same townships. So, within the context of home prices in the last six months, do you feel that prices have gone insanely higher in fairly recent months in your town? Have prices gone up in Bergen County and "good" towns in Union and Middlesex gone up so high too quick to the point of pushing up prices in peripheral areas?

Thanks in advance for your input.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 08:29 AM

650 posts, read 776,154 times
As Zillow shows , houses, especially entry level ones , value increases 10% year to year.
Bergen county

Still bidding war ? Some but not a lot.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:31 AM

650 posts, read 776,154 times
Houses around $350k got 10 offers before first open house. Went to contract after first open house.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:39 AM

275 posts, read 214,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
Houses around $350k got 10 offers before first open house. Went to contract after first open house.
That's amazing! I don't have the insights to determine if the actual state of the economy/confidence or a unrelated to the economy bubble is building up once again. That said, my skin crawls when I see average homes prices going for $500K - $750K with property taxes averaging $12K to $15K per year. And I can't help to wonder if people are going house poor by doing this. Or maybe salaries have kept up with inflation (sarcasm).

Old 03-15-2019, 10:35 AM

173 posts, read 216,561 times
I've been pretty actively monitoring Ridgewood, Glen Rock and Fair Lawn for the last 3 years. In the last year, at the entry level (say < 600k), prices seem to have gone up. At the same time, I'm not seeing much by way of increases, and maybe even some slight decreases, at the higher end (say > 1m).

Old 03-15-2019, 01:29 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
As Zillow shows , houses, especially entry level ones , value increases 10% year to year.
Bergen county

Still bidding war ? Some but not a lot.
Zillow is one of the bigger junk real estate sites around,very little if any of their information is good, real or correct.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:10 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,871,098 times
My Zillow value went up by 25% only to then descend to about 13% higher than I bought. So I don't put a lot of trust in that sort of thing.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:12 PM

4,183 posts, read 5,066,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGuitar View Post
...my skin crawls when I see average homes prices going for $500K - $750K with property taxes averaging $12K to $15K per year. And I can't help to wonder if people are going house poor by doing this. Or maybe salaries have kept up with inflation (sarcasm).

No, they're not going house-rich / cash-poor -- if that were the case, we'd already be seeing the mortgage defaults.

Last peak was '05, then crash in '08 -- 3 years.

This upswing started in '16 -- so if it were a bubble, we'd already be seeing weakness. We're not. As you observed, just the opposite.

It's all about Manhattan. Seen their skyline lately? Skyscrapers being built every day, up up up.

NJ is getting the spillover effect, 40 mile radius.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:01 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,463,113 times
Absolutely. The few benefitting from the so-called “economic recovery” have been driving prices up everywhere, but especially in towns commutable to NYC.

And that’s forcing people who don’t have as much money to move further out... where prices that were lower have been driven up... forcing people living in those towns to move further out...

I’m getting dizzy.

I lived in Bergen County most of my life. I wanted to buy a house in Bergen County. It simply got too expensive. So I moved out to Western Morris County, where I got in early and got a good deal on my new construction townhouse. My options were...

Get a comparable new construction townhouse in an “A” Bergen County town (Ridgewood, Woodcliff Lake, etc.) for $800,000+. Not in this or the next six lifetimes for me...

Get a comparable new construction townhouse in a “B” Bergen County town (Fair Lawn, Rutherford, etc.) for $600,000+, or, for the same money and after a lot of searching, get a train wreck of a house in an “A” town. Knock off $25,000 or so for comparable Eastern Morris County towns or Wayne. Still ain’t happenin’ for me...

Get a comparable new construction townhome in an “A” Western Morris County town for $550,000, or a “B” Western Morris County town for $400,000. Knock a buck fifty off for the train wrecks in those towns.

Well, I got the new construction townhome in the “B” Western Morris County town, and I’m thrilled with the decision. In the 18 months or so since I closed, the house has gone up in value approximately $50,000.

Not a bad ROI.

But it’s horrible how many people are being left behind because of the outrageous housing prices.

My parents came very close to buying a house in “working class, not desirable, but not a dump” Dumont in 1982. The asking price was $58,000 ($151,927.54 in 2019 dollars).

They decided the house was too expensive for them to afford. If they weren’t both long-deceased, housing prices in the area today would have likely killed them. That house has to be worth at least $400,000 today.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:27 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,644,565 times
I was reviewing some real estate data at work for a couple of different counties. The average single family home sale price in Bergen County was unchanged when comparing January 2019 sales to January 2018 sales. Essex County was down 11% in the same time period. That’s all I can remember off the top of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey