Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 06:36 AM

107 posts, read 113,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
buy and hold in newark. make sure you have a gun too

But...but...New Jersey has such tight gun control, everything is so SAFE here!!! /s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 06:48 AM

625 posts, read 797,718 times
I bought and developed two multifamily houses in Newark (Ironbound). My equity in just 5 years between two properties is about $700k and rents pay my taxes, mortgage and all expenses...plus I live for FREE. Talk all you want about Newark. Soon enough Newark will pay for my single family house. Keep hating on Newark.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,499,452 times
How easily we have forgotten the housing crash that we need articles like this

Seriously though, my biggest piece of advice to people starting out is to skip the "starter home". If it's not something you think that you can live in for a very long time if you need to, then don't do it.

Example, if you see yourself getting married and having a kid or two, wait to buy something that you can live in comfortably. Sure, if you can move up later, great. In other words, wait and buy a 3-bedroom ranch in a decent town versus a condo that you are going to be busting out of in five years.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:30 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
buy and hold in newark. make sure you have a gun too
This is my plan within the next two years.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
I bought and developed two multifamily houses in Newark (Ironbound). My equity in just 5 years between two properties is about $700k and rents pay my taxes, mortgage and all expenses...plus I live for FREE. Talk all you want about Newark. Soon enough Newark will pay for my single family house. Keep hating on Newark.
your personal experience doesnt change that newark sucks.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:20 AM

147 posts, read 91,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
How easily we have forgotten the housing crash that we need articles like this

Seriously though, my biggest piece of advice to people starting out is to skip the "starter home". If it's not something you think that you can live in for a very long time if you need to, then don't do it.

Example, if you see yourself getting married and having a kid or two, wait to buy something that you can live in comfortably. Sure, if you can move up later, great. In other words, wait and buy a 3-bedroom ranch in a decent town versus a condo that you are going to be busting out of in five years.
This, also, make sure you buy something you can afford. Dont over do your budget. You lose a lot of money selling. I don't care what anyone says. You are actually paying the real estate agent. Just because you don't see it come out of your equity doesn't mean its not actual money you are spending.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
your personal experience doesnt change that newark sucks.
My personal experience is 33 years of living here and never having any issues. I'd like my personal experience over some e-troll.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:00 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
My personal experience is 33 years of living here and never having any issues. I'd like my personal experience over some e-troll.
its funny how you say that you "never had any issues" and act as if that is some kind of great endorsement of the city. it reminds me of people saying stuff like "nobody does anything to you as long as you mind your business." like i want to live in a place like that or even visit a place like that.

i am glad that you are benefiting financially from newark. being able to benefit financially from a place doesnt mean its a great place to live. im glad it generally works for you but you are one person and what is ok with you may not be ok with a lot of others. i know that i wouldnt likely want to live somewhere that a satisfied resident's praise is "i never had any issues." id rather live in a place where people say "this is a great place to live and i really love it here."

Old 03-27-2019, 11:18 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,018,320 times
Quote:
Wow, 33 years is a long time to wait. Most people don't have that time luxury if they're starting a family and need good schools before then. What made you wait so long to dive into the SFH? If my rental properties covered at least 30% of the cost on my main home, I'd be happy.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Wow, 33 years is a long time to wait. Most people don't have that time luxury if they're starting a family and need good schools before then. What made you wait so long to dive into the SFH? If my rental properties covered at least 30% of the cost on my main home, I'd be happy.
I'm 33 years old and grew up in the Ironbound. My son is not school aged yet, so what is the rush.

The Ironbound is an ideal place to live for singles or young couples with no children. Ideal if you want to save your money, have access to public transportation, excellent restaurants and easy access to highways.

If you want to say you live in Hoboken and JC and give up 50%+ of your income on housing, hey you can be that fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey