Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 AM

67 posts, read 91,922 times

Advertisements

All I'm saying is that things like those type of sites are biased for the seller. Does your site tell you it was just a shootout in the West Ward with police involvement? No it doesn't. All I'm saying is buyer beware. If you actually lived there you would know how things are, not just from driving through there. Just driving through an area doesn't make anyone an expert. Also, just so your aware the only area in the ironbound that has issues is where the project buildings are off Raymond blvd & buildings off South street. If you stay out of those areas you are fine because they are drug areas. The other parts of ironbound will have your average random crimes like car thefts and break-ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Why would she not use any real estate endorsed website when that's what she's interested in?

Also, just like you're suggesting she look into real estate websites with a grain of salt, the one you've provided states this exact verbiage on their page - The information made available here has been modified for use from its original sources. Neither RLS Media nor our sources make any claims as to the completeness, accuracy, or content of any data contained on our web or Facebook page;

So what's the difference?

At least Trulia uses sources which state the following which seems more reliable to me - We collect relevant crime data from police agencies and validated sources, plot it on a Google map, and deliver daily and weekly crime alerts. Our goal is to provide the most accurate and timely geocoded crime information to the public.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 08:54 AM

99 posts, read 79,269 times
Keep your windows and doors locked and keep it movin'. (South Orange Ave, Vailsburg, Newark.)

Old 04-16-2019, 09:11 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINMOMMA2010 View Post
All I'm saying is that things like those type of sites are biased for the seller. Does your site tell you it was just a shootout in the West Ward with police involvement? No it doesn't. All I'm saying is buyer beware. If you actually lived there you would know how things are, not just from driving through there. Just driving through an area doesn't make anyone an expert. Also, just so your aware the only area in the ironbound that has issues is where the project buildings are off Raymond blvd & buildings off South street. If you stay out of those areas you are fine because they are drug areas. The other parts of ironbound will have your average random crimes like car thefts and break-ins.
If there wasn't police involvement then why would it be mentioned on Trulia? I'm sure someone had to report it to the police in order for it to be publicly recorded. That doesn't make any sense.

And no, I don't just drive through the area. I frequent businesses quite regularly as there is not too much going on in Harrison, if you're as familiar with the area as you say you are then you would know this.

I've been living in Harrison for approximately 5 years and I have no problem going to any area in Newark if that's where I need to go to get things taken care of. I've never had any issues as a single female (daytime or night). Maybe a random homeless person coming up to me and asking me for money. I actually was looking to live in Hahne in downtown Newark, but the lack of amenities turned me off.

It's more than just crime and drugs going on in the city, especially with how big it is.

Just this past weekend they had the Cherry Blossom festival, and Branch Brook Park was packed with people of all ethnic backgrounds and children of all ages.

The poster should do her own research and deduce her own conclusions. The city is more than crime, and I'm surprised a former resident wouldn't know that, and state as such.

Lastly, what are you doing to help the city of Newark become better besides sitting here and complaining about it? Which is actually making it worse.

Last edited by nj21; 04-16-2019 at 09:21 AM..

Old 04-16-2019, 09:37 AM

67 posts, read 91,922 times
So your suggesting that the parents of the kids that will be his potential renters should let their children stay in the middle of the hood because that's what it is there. I'm not sugar coating the area or making it seem like it's all rainbows and sunshine. I have lived in Newark my entire life minus the 15 past when we moved. Went to elementary, high & some college there. Is it all terrible NO but the poster is looking for this as an investment property and the lower Vailsburg section is not a good location... That Hahne's building is nice if you commute to Jersey City or Manhattan. There is really nothing to do down there after most businesses close. The cherry blossom festival has been going on for years and most people that have lived in the area always return back year after year. All I'm saying is to get a clearer picture of how it is take a ride on a nice day like this past Saturday and the poster will see what I mean. If people hanging out all around the street is your thing then great for you. Are there hard working people in those areas yes but it's not the best area for an investment... As for helping the city that's not my job. Haven't lived there in years and honestly don't want to move back. It's not for me, not saying it's not for anyone else. Just because someone tells true statements of how things are doesn't make them complainers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
If there wasn't police involvement then why would it be mentioned on Trulia? I'm sure someone had to report it to the police in order for it to be publicly recorded. That doesn't make any sense.

And no, I don't just drive through the area. I frequent businesses quite regularly as there is not too much going on in Harrison, if you're as familiar with the area as you say you are then you would know this.

I've been living in Harrison for approximately 5 years and I have no problem going to any area in Newark if that's where I need to go to get things taken care of. I've never had any issues as a single female (daytime or night). Maybe a random homeless person coming up to me and asking me for money. I actually was looking to live in Hahne in downtown Newark, but the lack of amenities turned me off.

It's more than just crime and drugs going on in the city, especially with how big it is.

Just this past weekend they had the Cherry Blossom festival, and Branch Brook Park was packed with people of all ethnic backgrounds and children of all ages.

The poster should do her own research and deduce her own conclusions. The city is more than crime, and I'm surprised a former resident wouldn't know that, and state as such.

Lastly, what are you doing to help the city of Newark become better besides sitting here and complaining about it? Which is actually making it worse.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:03 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINMOMMA2010 View Post
So your suggesting that the parents of the kids that will be his potential renters should let their children stay in the middle of the hood because that's what it is there. I'm not sugar coating the area or making it seem like it's all rainbows and sunshine. I have lived in Newark my entire life minus the 15 past when we moved. Went to elementary, high & some college there. Is it all terrible NO but the poster is looking for this as an investment property and the lower Vailsburg section is not a good location... That Hahne's building is nice if you commute to Jersey City or Manhattan. There is really nothing to do down there after most businesses close. The cherry blossom festival has been going on for years and most people that have lived in the area always return back year after year. All I'm saying is to get a clearer picture of how it is take a ride on a nice day like this past Saturday and the poster will see what I mean. If people hanging out all around the street is your thing then great for you. Are there hard working people in those areas yes but it's not the best area for an investment... As for helping the city that's not my job. Haven't lived there in years and honestly don't want to move back. It's not for me, not saying it's not for anyone else. Just because someone tells true statements of how things are doesn't make them complainers.
As I've stated before, the poster should drive by and make her own deductions of the neighborhood. She said she is interested in rental properties in the area, not living there for herself. If she should choose to live there herself, then maybe she should consider charter schools for her children, as that is a viable option.

Newark is a very large, diverse city with many areas for her to look into. If she is no longer interested in Lower Vailsburg, then she can look into another part of the city. She shouldn't be steered in a completely different direction just because YOU haven't lived in the city for more than 15 years and chose to move out.

Not sure why you're directing your font towards me anyways, as you specifically told her not to move to the city. Now that someone such as myself thinks she should consider it, you're changing your mind?

Any area with a relatively low crime rate compared to other parts of the city is perfectly fine to invest in. People stand outside all the time in Harrison, so not exactly sure what you mean. Just because a group of minorities stand outside doesn't mean they're selling drugs. My family is from Paterson and I've sat on a stoop. Does that make me a drug dealer?

I've spoken to real estate investors who have actually invested in the city, and attended several meetup groups with people who share an interest in investing in the city. Many celebrities are also investing in the city, such as Queen Latifah and her latest development. Shaquille O'neal has built a movie theater there on Springfield Avenue. There are numerous developments and projects going on all over the city. And not just in the Ironbound area.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:48 AM

538 posts, read 733,217 times
Upper Vailsburg is probably going to be much more serviceable than Lower. If any Seton Hall students are going to be getting advice about what nearby areas of Newark to look in they're going to be told to stay West of Sanford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey