Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:10 PM

27 posts, read 41,336 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing how late and slow and delayed NJ Transit is. We are debating moving to Millburn/Maplewood (or Glen Ridge). But after hearing all these stories I’m getting concerned about my potential commute.

On work days, I need to catch (for example) a NJ Direct train from Maplewood at 730am, arriving at NY Penn at 8am, and transfer to an Amtrak that departs (going North) at 830am. So my question is, how far behind schedule does the NJ Direct run? Would this be a risky transfer that I would miss regularly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 08:50 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I take the North Jersey Coast Line, and I've taken the Main/Bergen Lines, and despite what you hear, NJ Transit trains are on time far more than not.

Does the Amtrak train originate at Penn, or is it coming up from points south? Because from what I can tell, AMTRAK has more delays than NJ Transit.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I take the North Jersey Coast Line, and I've taken the Main/Bergen Lines, and despite what you hear, NJ Transit trains are on time far more than not.

Does the Amtrak train originate at Penn, or is it coming up from points south? Because from what I can tell, AMTRAK has more delays than NJ Transit.
Coming up from points south, and yes you’re right, it’s late all the time. Amtrak is terrible!

Old 05-22-2019, 04:26 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
I think the more important question is, where are you commuting to that you need to catch an Amtrak train? Is this going to be every day? That sounds like a very long and expensive commute. Will you be doing the same commute in reverse to get home? Why would you want to live in Millburn or Maplewood and not somewhere that offers a more reasonable commute?

Old 05-22-2019, 07:57 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I think the more important question is, where are you commuting to that you need to catch an Amtrak train? Is this going to be every day? That sounds like a very long and expensive commute. Will you be doing the same commute in reverse to get home? Why would you want to live in Millburn or Maplewood and not somewhere that offers a more reasonable commute?
Yeah, I wondered that, too, but I figured the OP must know what s/he is doing.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:07 AM

538 posts, read 733,932 times
Why not just take Amtrack from Newark Penn (or Metropark)?

Taking two trains on a daily basis sounds wacky.

That said, you have 30 minutes of leeway in your connection. While there will be times when you'll be late, you'll rarely miss that connection. And if you are late, it's likely that Amtrak will be late as well.

I'm on the next train (which is 8:05 from South Orange) and while being 10 minutes late is fairly normal, being a full 30 minutes late is a relative rarity. (And if things are that bad, odds are Amtrak is screwed up too.)

Old 05-22-2019, 08:23 AM

My partner works in south jersey (driving) so we needed a mid point (with decent schools and a direct connection to midtown). But I only need to do my Amtrak commute twice a week for about 6 months a year.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
Why not just take Amtrack from Newark Penn (or Metropark)?

Taking two trains on a daily basis sounds wacky.

That said, you have 30 minutes of leeway in your connection. While there will be times when you'll be late, you'll rarely miss that connection. And if you are late, it's likely that Amtrak will be late as well.

I'm on the next train (which is 8:05 from South Orange) and while being 10 minutes late is fairly normal, being a full 30 minutes late is a relative rarity. (And if things are that bad, odds are Amtrak is screwed up too.)
I did consider catching from Newark penn but when I looked at the drive in the morning from millburn to the station the traffic looked unpredictable so I thought I might end up missing the train a lot (unless I leave super early or maybe if I take an Uber to avoid parking)

Old 05-22-2019, 08:41 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
The M&E (the line from Maplewood) isn't late that often in the morning (at least at the moment), but they do cancel trains entirely fairly regularly. I don't know how often that one gets canceled.

You're probably better off in a town with a connection to Newark Penn where you can catch the Amtrak train before the usual delay sources, unless your Amtrak train originates at NY Penn.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
When NJ Transit have issues it ranges from 8-20mins late avg. I say the arrival time is about 80% on-time.

If you want to avoid having issues, move to an area that has more than one line or trains. Having a Local + Express train beats having delays.

My main gripe with NJ Transit is that they keep changing schedules and often removal important time slots.

There used to be a 15min gap during rush hour schedules, then it got moved to 20min and now it's 30mins. So if you missed a train, you have to wait 30mins. If that train is delayed, you are looking at 45min+ wait.

That is why people in congress, the republicans and democrats in the house should stop playing games and start working with Trump to pass infrastructure bills. Enough with the phony Russian collisions and going after each other for finance issues. Start fixing our crumbling infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey