Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 05:21 PM

6 posts, read 29,216 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently have been offered a job in South Orange NJ. My husband and I, unfortunately, cannot afford to live in that area. We no longer want to rent and would like to purchase a home. I have driven out to Roselle Park, NJ a few times. It seems very nice, quiet, and safe. I have seen mixed reviews online about this area. What is the truth? I was very close to putting an offer on a house on W Clay Avenue. I know there is not a lot to do there, but Cranford is so close. Our budget is max 350 thousand.

We do not have kids, but are trying to have one very soon. We also need to commute to Manhattan frequently.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 05:31 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,633,251 times
I don't know anything about Roselle Park. I'm just commenting to let you know that if you haven't already considered it, West Orange may be a good option within your budget.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:02 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,865,524 times
Consider Bloomfield if you're a few years from kids. Taxes are higher, but the direct train is better. Likely to get a better resale value on the house when you need to look for schools too.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:03 AM

Great. Our realtor has asked us to look at those areas. Any place in West Orange or Bloomfield to be weary of?

Old 03-15-2017, 05:46 AM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieB7782 View Post
Any place in West Orange or Bloomfield to be weary of?

I can guarantee that you will be very weary if you walk all the way from Bloomfield to South Orange.
As a result, I suggest that you be wary of locating there.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:47 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Quote:
Great. Our realtor has asked us to look at those areas. Any place in West Orange or Bloomfield to be weary of?
Most of West Orange is fine. The only streets I would avoid are those that are right on the Orange border. That's not an unsafe area, just not as nice as the rest of the town. As for Bloomfield, I would avoid the area near the East Orange border. Brookdale is the most popular section of Bloomfield. The area around Bloomfield College is nice too.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:40 AM

Thank you all for being incredibly helpful. I am very close to putting an offer on a home in Roselle Park near the Cranford border. It seems very quiet and safe. The house is on Oakwood Ave. Would I feel safe to walk my dog?

Old 03-15-2017, 09:44 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Quote:
Thank you all for being incredibly helpful. I am very close to putting an offer on a home in Roselle Park near the Cranford border. It seems very quiet and safe. The house is on Oakwood Ave. Would I feel safe to walk my dog?
Roselle Park is not unsafe, it just tends to be more blue collar than some of the surrounding towns like Cranford. I have several teacher friends in the Roselle Park school system and I can tell you the schools are average at best.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:51 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,865,524 times
You should go try it before you buy the house. Drive your dog over there and take a walk around the block before you spend thousands of dollars and spend years there.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:06 AM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Yes, that area is safe. However, I always advise people that, before buying a house, it is a good idea to take a look at the neighborhood late at night.

Many years ago, a friend of mine was about to buy a house in what looked like a decent area, but after taking my advice and driving there at ~1:00 AM, he found that the street was a haven for hookers and their customers. More than likely, you won't find anything like that, but...why take a chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey