Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 01:29 PM

118 posts, read 163,815 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Brooklyn NY

Why are you moving? It seems to be more expensive in Brooklyn or Queens than several areas of Jersey City when it comes to what you get for your money, plus we want to be closer to Manhattan

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? We are both freelancers so we have to be all over Manhattan at various times, transit is very important since neither of us drive.

Will you buy or rent? Looking at both at the moment, trying to gauge what is best for long term

What is your budget ? 500-550k would be the high end the more realistic would be 450k

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Just me and my girlfriend and we plan on getting a dog.

Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in - Safe, walkable, good assortment of restaurants and take out as well as grocery. Neither of us drive so we do a lot of walking, Brooklyn is very good for this so where we wind up we would like it to be similar.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. Transit (nearby, somewhat short commute under an hour preferably and easy to use), Safety, restaurant/take out/grocery options

These are the areas I have been looking at, if I can get opinions on each one and any other info and opinions that would be great. If we are buying I am also concerned about future proof such as climate change issues with sea level rising this is a big concern to me when buying property. Any other questions feel free to ask

McGinley Square
Greenville
Bergen-Lafayette
Journal Square
The Heights
Union City
West NY
Weehawken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 03:24 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
One thing to understand about Hudson County is that unless you're by a PATH station, you'll be reliant on buses most likely. For some of the neighborhoods/cities listed, you'd be taking a bus into PABT through the Lincoln Tunnel. Others you'd be taking a bus to JSQ PATH and then PATH into Manhattan. Some can be a close enough walk to a station, but not right in the station's neighborhood. Some have light rail on the Hudson Bergen Light Rail (HBLR) that can take you to a PATH station to get into Manhattan. Your best options are being as close as possible to a PATH station as it is the most reliable way to get into Manhattan 24/7. In other places, it will be harder.

I'm going to list them in the order I think are best.

Journal Square: Has a PATH station right there with the best connections IMO. The 33rd Line takes you into Manhattan to Christopher St (West Village), 9th St (Village), 14th St, 23rd St, and 33rd St. Plenty of connections along those lines if where you're going that day is not off a PATH station. Then the WTC line puts you right under the Oculus at Fulton Station for basically every single line and amazing connections from there. In JSQ itself, it's safe, there are a lot of restaurants to walk to especially Indian and Latin. New restaurants and bars are starting to move into the area. And you're only one stop away from everything in downtown JC around Grove St. It's like a 3 minute ride on PATH to them, and with your unlimited pass, it'll be easy to get there. Most downtown places will deliver to you in JSQ. I live here. I love it for how much less I pay than downtown, yet still being close enough for all it has to offer.

McGinley Square: Gentrifying quickly. The closer to JSQ PATH, the better. Can be like a 15-20 minute walk to the station, or take a bus to the station. JSQ PATH station is a giant bus terminal that functions like a smaller PABT, so lots of buses end up there. Not as safe as some of the other options, but it's getting there and if you don't mind the 15 minute walk or bus ride, you'll get a lot for your money.

The Heights: Tons of restaurants in the area. But not walking distance to PATH. You'd be reliant on buses to JSQ and transferring to PATH, or taking a bus into PABT. If you find a place near the HBLR on the east side of the Heights bordering Hoboken, you can take the elevator down to the tracks, then take the HBLR to Hoboken and transfer to PATH. The restaurant options here are great and it's generally quite safe.

Union City: Similar to the Heights. Generally quite safe, just heavily Latino which some tend to associate with bad. It's not bad at all IMO. I love it. I think it's cute and I love Latin culture. Your best option is a bus into PABT. Other option would be the HBLR from Bergenline Ave station to Hoboken.

Weehawken: You can take the ferry from here to Manhattan and go on your way from there. I'm not sure how the schedule is, but I know the ferries offer shuttle service to/from the ports on both sides of the river. Also has a HBLR stop for connections to Hoboken.

West NY: Similar to Union City. Southern parts are close to the Bergenline Ave HBLR station. I'm sure there are probably some shuttle lines to the ferries there also.

Bergen-Lafayette: Generally not that safe, but improving. You'd need to check out the area hard before committing. But has HBLR access to downtown JC for connections at Exchange Place or Newport depending on which PATH line you need that day (Exchange has WTC, Newport has 33rd).

Greenville: Same as ^, but even further from PATH and the walkable areas aren't all that close to the HBLR stations which are on the far east side of the neighborhood.

I would strongly suggest JSQ. It's only become a destination within the past couple years for gentrification and newcomers, so it can only go up from here. Downtown has been discovered, and some others may take a while to get there. There is tons of development in JSQ now, but prices are still pretty decent.

I'd also search the New Jersey Jitney routes. They're independently run shuttle buses serving North Jersey. Many go through the neighborhoods/cities you've mentioned and go straight into PABT. I don't take them so I can't comment too well on them, but they could be an option that would open up more neighborhoods for you. Many drop off at JSQ too, since I see them during my commute.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:47 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Groceries are going to be the toughest things to find in most of the neighborhoods listed. There are lots of bodegas around, but one-stop supermarkets? Few and far between. I get what I can at the local shops, and then order online. Occasionally I'll hop a bus or uber up to Trader Joes, Acme, 99Ranch, HMart, etc.

For access to the city, Journal Square is the best on the list, because it has PATH service to WTC and the 33rd Street Line, whereas most of the other places you'd be taking a bus to PABT or a bus or light rail to PATH.

If you're looking to buy, there's not a whole lot of inventory in JSQ, the Heights, Bergen-Lafayette, etc. now, but your budget would get you a nice 2-BR place in these areas. You could get a 1-BR in Downtown JC or Hoboken within your budget as well.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:54 PM

195 posts, read 135,769 times
Journal Square is good for renting, to buy there would almost be buying in brooklyn.. a shack but with higher property tax. at 450k ur already priced out a house...condo coop yes. McGinley Square is still within ur range so are the rest above. Im running from Brooklyn with my girlfriend too we.. we have a 170k HH income but refuse to pay 700k for an as is 70yr old house,... I dont know what fools are buying these overpriced homes-baby boomers trying to make a killing on us... anyway but compared with the $2200 bk rent and nyc income tax.. we come just about even or slightly less in OWNing in jersey or LI. homes in flat-bush still with a 40 minute commute to Manhattan.Ur best bet is a Single or multifamily in a gentrifying neighborhood no more than 20 mins from a PATH TRAIN.

also....vote with your wallets, we all are social liberals...but don't let these guys tax/fee u to death when u move.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:25 PM

650 posts, read 775,125 times
You can smartly buy a multi family and collect rent while living within.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:13 AM

565 posts, read 722,532 times
Are you looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom? There are even 1 bedrooms in Hoboken in your price range. Tons of options in JC, UC, and Weehawken, including the waterfront area of JC. I'm not really sure what you are looking for other than transport to NYC, but there is a coop building right near the light rail on top of Hoboken called the Doric--monthly maintenance is high, but I believe it includes the property tax and all that since it's a coop. Anyway, 2 bedrooms there are cheap and most are renovated. Very good commute to the city and right near Shoprite in Hoboken, and you can still get to the Target and Mall in JC, the Trader Joe's in Hoboken. Commute you can either do light rail to path/ferry; bus to PA, or elevator and walk to uptown ferry.

Anyway, you have a lot of options in your price range. Come back and update us when you start seeing places in person.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:56 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
Are you looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom? There are even 1 bedrooms in Hoboken in your price range. Tons of options in JC, UC, and Weehawken, including the waterfront area of JC. I'm not really sure what you are looking for other than transport to NYC, but there is a coop building right near the light rail on top of Hoboken called the Doric--monthly maintenance is high, but I believe it includes the property tax and all that since it's a coop. Anyway, 2 bedrooms there are cheap and most are renovated. Very good commute to the city and right near Shoprite in Hoboken, and you can still get to the Target and Mall in JC, the Trader Joe's in Hoboken. Commute you can either do light rail to path/ferry; bus to PA, or elevator and walk to uptown ferry.

Anyway, you have a lot of options in your price range. Come back and update us when you start seeing places in person.
Based on the disinterest in Hoboken and downtown JC, I assumed OP was looking into more than 1 bedrooms, potentially even full rowhomes if possible? I may have assumed wrong, though.

OP, if you just want a 1-2 bedroom condo, definitely look in Hoboken and Downtown JC. Safer and more to do than most of the places you listed. But 2 bedrooms might be small and you'll only get a condo. However, the condos will have amenities that you won't find in the NYC for a comparable price.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:47 PM

862 posts, read 976,122 times
Just rent a place in Hoboken, move to suburbs when you have kids, as far as safe stay out of Jersey City.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:52 PM

7 posts, read 4,660 times
Hey! I'm a local agent and I think I can help. What kind of living situation are you looking for as far as Co-op, condo, single/multi family?

Old 05-01-2019, 06:44 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
Journal Square isn't bad and is a short commute along the PATH. Being the origination point for one of the lines increases the chances of getting a seat. McGinley Square is walkable to JSQ station but feels gritter save for a handful of streets. I would not look any further west than Communipaw Ave as it gets less and less nice going west. Hell no to Greenville. Shopping is meh aside from lots of cheap stores and the crappy supermarket C-town.

JC Heights is gentrifying rapidly with multiple bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and even Sunday brunch. Most of this improvement is closer to the NY side along Palisade or New York avenues. This stretch is serviced by the 123 NJ Transit but and walking distance to light rail. Union City as mentioned above has more Spanish speaking diversity and will be cheaper than the heights. Same 123 bus that runs along Palisades connects to NY. For food shopping there is Stop & Shop, Spanish friendly Supremo, and Shop Rite down the 9th St light rail elevator. Trader Joe's is walkable from Union City going down the steps and ramp across the street from the 24 hour Salem sons bakery.

Weehawken is more residential and quieter, downside is you'd need to drive or take the bus to reach supermarkets. Weehawken does have a free weekday shuttle for residents with a vague tracker app, shuttle originates at Troy towers and runs over to 30th Street before connecting down to light rail stops and ferry terminal.

Climate change.... buy up the cliffs in JC, UC, or WH.

Last edited by GoHuskies; 05-01-2019 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey